Thread: MSM?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    FLIP/APL/CLA
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: MSM?

I'm allergic to sulfa and I can still take MSM - matter of fact, it's in the joint supplement I take along with the glucosamine/chondroitin.
    Lady Vanlanthiriel of the Cascading Waterfalls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    2b/ M / ii - started castor oil blend Aug 1, 2011
    Current: APL l Goal: Waist

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I'm taking 2000mg per day in 2x1000mg tablets.

I'm not sure it's making my hair grow faster, per se, but it *definitely* put a stop to my end-of-birth-control shed. Now I get 6 hairs when I comb instead of about 20-30.
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Length
    ears/34"/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by celebriangel View Post
    I'm taking 2000mg per day in 2x1000mg tablets.

I'm not sure it's making my hair grow faster, per se, but it *definitely* put a stop to my end-of-birth-control shed. Now I get 6 hairs when I comb instead of about 20-30.
    How long after quitting did your shed happen? I experienced a massive shed in august/september and I couldn't figure out why. I've been thinking of going to the doctor. I stopped taking bc pills (tri-sprintec) in may, I never suspected them as the culprit.

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by owlathena View Post
    How long after quitting did your shed happen? I experienced a massive shed in august/september and I couldn't figure out why. I've been thinking of going to the doctor. I stopped taking bc pills (tri-sprintec) in may, I never suspected them as the culprit.
    A very short time - only a few days. But by then my body was protesting against the hormones with every fibre of its being, so...

However, changes in your body can take up to 3 months to show in your hair, and I'd been stressed for months. So it could indeed be the bc pills.

I know that some people get a fall shed for no apparent reason every year, though.
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I love my MSM! I take the powder. Right now, my dosage is about 1.3 g. per day (half of the manufacturer's - Source Naturals- recommended dosage). It's not really increased my growth as far as I can tell but it has decreased my shed rate, cleared up my seasonal allergies, and helped keep my skin clear.

Just be careful when taking MSM. Don't start out at a high dosage. Start small & work your way up if you need to. Some people, including me, can get massive headaches from taking too high of a dosage.
    (Taken Apr.'11)

Everybody lives, Rose. Just this once! Everybody lives! ~ The Doctor

Length
    50"/60"/floor
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

I've been slacking on my MSM but just bought some more from Trader Joe's last night. I am allergic to some antibiotics but I've never had any trouble with the MSM. I've found it's supposed to be good for a whole huge list of things. It seems to be one of the few things that help my husband's allergies too.

Where is everyone buying their MSM? At Trader Joe's it is $4.99 for one hundred 1000mg tablets. I usually take 2 a day, but seeing higher dosages here, I may increase my dosage.

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Airmide View Post
    Where is everyone buying their MSM? At Trader Joe's it is $4.99 for one hundred 1000mg tablets. I usually take 2 a day, but seeing higher dosages here, I may increase my dosage.
    I used to get mine at a local natural foods place but now I get it at Vitacost because it's way cheaper. I get 35 oz of Source Naturals MSM powder for around $26. It lasts a long, long time.
    Last edited by HuggyBear; September 28th, 2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: More info
    (Taken Apr.'11)

Length
    50"/60"/floor
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    I used to get mine at a local natural foods place but now I get it at Vitacost because it's way cheaper. I get 35 oz of Source Naturals MSM powder for around $26. It lasts a long, long time.
    When you take the powder, how do you do it? Do you just mix it with water or juice or something? Or do you have to buy capsules to load it into?

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Airmide View Post
    When you take the powder, how do you do it? Do you just mix it with water or juice or something? Or do you have to buy capsules to load it into?
    Usually, I mix it in my orange juice or a smoothie every morning. Can't taste it at all that way.
    (Taken Apr.'11)

Length
    12/30 MB/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/ii/iii

I take a 1000 mg MSM pill in the morning and another 300 mg pill in evening. The latter pill has herbals that contain other ingredients like Silica. I found a very good information page on MSM. It explains all sorts of different uses for MSM. You can access the page here.