Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSM?

Length
    3"/8"/48"
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Default MSM?

I thought I saw a thread for supplements, and another that specifically mentioned "MSM"? Can someone tell me what this is? Thanks!

Length
    20/25.5/Waist
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii

Default Re: MSM?

Methylsulfonylmethane is sulphur. It is supposed to make your hair grow faster. I've been taking it for about 4 months and it works for me!

Length
    3"/8"/48"
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Thanks Infinity Girl!

I am glad I asked; if it is any kind of kin to sulfa antibiotics, I'm allergic. Hmm, so I might end up with long, lovely hair, but be covered head to toe in hives? I think I'll pass on this one.

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

From what I have read in the MSM thread, there are people who are allergic to sulfa antibiotics but still take MSM with success.

This is likely because sulfonamide (the common group in sulfa antibiotics) and Methysulfonylmethane have nothing at all in common, except that they both contain the extremely abundant element sulfur. Which is to say they are about as related as trees and plastic (both contain carbon).

From wiki: It is important to make a distinction between sulfa drugs and other sulfur-containing drugs and additives, such as sulfates and sulfites, which are chemically unrelated to the sulfonamide group, and do not cause the same hypersensitivity reactions seen in the sulfonamides.

So you should be fine. Mostly, people seem to take it to reduce shed. Seems to be working for me!
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Length
    15 in/30 in/24
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I'm interested. Infinity girl and celebriangel: How much MSM do you take every day?

Length
    ears/34"/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've taken 2000mg every day (1000 w/ breakfast, 1000 w/ lunch, I cant take it in the evening because then I have trouble falling asleep) for the past 8 months and havent noticed any change in my hair, but I think it helps my joints (arthritis) so I keep taking it.

Length
    FLIP/APL/CLA
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I'm allergic to sulfa and I can still take MSM - matter of fact, it's in the joint supplement I take along with the glucosamine/chondroitin.
    Lady Vanlanthiriel of the Cascading Waterfalls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    2b/ M / ii - started castor oil blend Aug 1, 2011
    Current: APL l Goal: Waist

Length
    20/25.5/Waist
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rapunzel View Post
    I'm interested. Infinity girl and celebriangel: How much MSM do you take every day?
    I take 3000mg per day (as recommended by the manufacturer - Holland & Barrett own brand). I take two in the morning and two late afternoon.

I started taking it around June time and since then I have a baby fringe (which is really annoying at the moment) growing under my long fringe. It's about 2-3" at least.

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I'm taking 2000mg per day in 2x1000mg tablets.

I'm not sure it's making my hair grow faster, per se, but it *definitely* put a stop to my end-of-birth-control shed. Now I get 6 hairs when I comb instead of about 20-30.
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I love my MSM! I take the powder. Right now, my dosage is about 1.3 g. per day (half of the manufacturer's - Source Naturals- recommended dosage). It's not really increased my growth as far as I can tell but it has decreased my shed rate, cleared up my seasonal allergies, and helped keep my skin clear.

Just be careful when taking MSM. Don't start out at a high dosage. Start small & work your way up if you need to. Some people, including me, can get massive headaches from taking too high of a dosage.
    (Taken Apr.'11)

Everybody lives, Rose. Just this once! Everybody lives! ~ The Doctor