View Poll Results: How do you bring out your wave/curl after washing?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scrunching

36 29.27%
  • Plopping

5 4.07%
  • Scrunching and Plopping

27 21.95%
  • Other Method

28 22.76%
  • I curl my hair with cheese

27 21.95%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curlies and Wavies: Scrunching or Plopping?

Length
    Ear/shldr/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Lightbulb Curlies and Wavies: Scrunching or Plopping?

What method of handling the hair after washing do you use to bring out your wave/curl pattern? Do you like scrunching, plopping or both? Or do you have an alternative method? Please share
    Reached BSL November 2013!
    Goal: tailbone

Length
    sl/APL/wl+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Curlies and Wavies: Scrunching or Plopping?

I either have to braidwave or damp bun, but then I have no curl to bring out.
    Lady Cuilpantiel Of The Raven Tower in the Order of the Longhaired Knights.
    The Few, The Proud, The Vaguely Creepy

Length
    shrug/33/45
    Type
    3a/F/ii

My hair curls really well as it dries, but to make the curls more even I like to use Aussie's Curl Definition and Soft Feel Serum.
    It disperses the curls more evenly round my head and makes my hair feel really soft and look shiny. And it smells nice which is a bonus. The other advantage is that after I brush the curls out into waves it keeps them looking really defined and neat.
    Please look at my baking blog: http://princesscupcakescakes.blogspot.co.uk/

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I either just leave mine alone or scrunch a little bit, plopping gives me major frizz
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

is a daily washer :D nobeltonya's Avatar
    Length
    10"/36.5"/48"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

After washing, conditioning, applying leave-in and combing, I wet bun it for a few hours... my hair will generally hold the waves almost all day, if I don't play with it too much or put it up afterward.

I have been considering cutting up to waist lately :O It is currently just above TB, b/c I keep trimming it...
    2a/b / M/C / ii. Low porosity.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    16.5/30/36
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I just leave it to air-dry. Then if the waves differ too much on different parts of my hair, I do a loose french braid and it evens them out.

Length
    WL/TBL+/TBL++
    Type
    3c/M/iii

I apply leave in, spread it out by stretching my strands with my palms and finger comb and this results in significant reduction of curls but reduces tangles as opposed to scrunching..

How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?

Sometimes I do both, but another thing I do is to make what some curlies call a "pineapple" on top of my head, which is basically a loose ponytail on top, which leaves the curls hanging freely. If I want the curls to hold longer though, I press the curls until they're scrunched/"rolled" onto themselves with a cloth and tie it all somehow as best I can. (Haha, am I making any sense?) Doing all this with a bit of mousse helps also, but no mousse is pretty good too.

Most of the time I just prefer to air-dry without touching. Less curl definition, but also less frizz. I'm still looking for a way to achieve great curl definition without tons of fuzz...

3azza, every time I see your hair, I'm just green with envy. Absolutely gorgeous, sublime curly hair.

Type
    1c/F/i

I am plopping right now

Length
    APL/42/here!
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

I voted "Other". My current method involves 'sculpting' first, and then scrunching, and then plopping in a microfiber towel. By sculpting, I mean I rake lots of hair gel through wet, but not dripping, hair and then take large clumps of hair, rake through them so the hair clumps together really well into a 'snake', and then twist the hair snake around my finger a couple of times. I then gather the snake up towards my scalp in an accordion fashion, and squeeze out the excess water. I repeat this process around my head until all of my hair has been raked, snaked, twisted, and squeezed out; usually I do 8-12 snakes. I then plop my hair in a microfiber towel, and leave it up for a half hour or so. When I take it down, my hair is usually still clumped together in the snakes, so I flip my head so my hair is hanging down and shake it around a bit (gently! gravity will do most of the work!) This process really doesn't take very long, and I've found that the raking step cuts down on tangles dramatically. Also, it makes my curls more uniform than they usually are. Here's a picture from months ago:

Cat Lady, Yarn Maker, Trail Seeker