Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proteins don't work?

Length
    22/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Default Proteins don't work?

I found this article on Beauty Brains. It's interesting because it gives a take on proteins I've never heard before. It essentially says that proteins don't stick to hair at all, and that their effectiveness as a hair conditioner is just a big beauty myth.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/01/1...mere-proteins/

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Either way my hair hates protein so I'm still in the gold going without them. Interesting article. I guess I'm not devoted to sexy products!

Length
    pixie/APL/MB
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My hair hates proteins too! It took a while before I realised that it was the proteins that caused build-up.
    I'm a purple-belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since Sep 8th 2010!
    And here you can hear me (solo) with my choir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l25lR3MTSnQ

Length
    36"/56"/?
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

My hair doesn't like proteins, but I'm not so sure that they flat out don't work. I tried Joico K-PAK once and it re-texturized my hair like nobody's business! It felt sooo soft, smooth and sleek like never before. The problem was that it only worked once. I tried using it again a week later and it made my hair rough. I tried once again a month later and had the same rough results. Since this was years ago, perhaps I should give it a try again. Maybe reconstructors/proteins are only good for my hair once a year.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I wish I knew more about chemistry to answer this. However the site didn't claim proteins to be completely useless, simply stated them to be tricky and not too moisturizing. A hard ingredient to use. In a way I do believe they do atleast something because over using them can make hair hard and crunchy, and using them every now and then , at least on me re-texturirizes hair. Which reminds me Elle, maybe your hair simply doesn't need protein, it's virgin so it doesn't have the same amount of damage as for instance, well, me.
    My point being, I think they work, maybe not as well as I thought but still.

Oh and then there is the question keratin versus vegetable based proteins...
    Like from cheese.
    Lady Illmater Mother of Väinämöinen in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Capaciously Curly redcelticcurls's Avatar
    Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

From a curly perspective, I find that it is more common for a fine haired curly to like proteins and for a coarse haired curly to hate them, especially if they are not using shampoo. There are always exceptions of course.

My hair hates them in any way shape or form, no matter how low down on the ingredient list it is.
    Coarse, porous curly. User of conventional dye and conventional products.
    Lady Coventina of the Sacred Spring in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    22/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I wonder if it didn't work for people with healthy hair because the cuticle isn't roughed up enough to let the protein in. My hair is very porous from chemical treatments and flat ironing, and it seems to like products with protein. I wonder if porous hair is more able to use it but on healthy hair it builds up and causes crunchiness. Just a thought.

Length
    27/36"/long
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I have tried protein treatments a few times. It makes my hair big and frizzy. Maybe I should go back to using them. I miss my big, frizzy hair days!
    Pegasus Marsters 117th wife
    Life is like a hot bath...the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get.

Capaciously Curly redcelticcurls's Avatar
    Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Mahars View Post
    I wonder if it didn't work for people with healthy hair because the cuticle isn't roughed up enough to let the protein in. My hair is very porous from chemical treatments and flat ironing, and it seems to like products with protein. I wonder if porous hair is more able to use it but on healthy hair it builds up and causes crunchiness. Just a thought.
    I wondered that too. But, I color treat and use a diffuser to blowdry and still cannot use protein. Weird.
    Coarse, porous curly. User of conventional dye and conventional products.
    Lady Coventina of the Sacred Spring in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

~Blonde to the Bone~ Shermie Girl's Avatar
    Length
    Too/Effin/Short
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

My hair loooves protein. Always has. Slurps it up and begs for more. I always use protein with moisture and get wonderful results.

Protein, like anything else hair related is very YMMV. Perhaps that website and others like it need to remember that.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around)
    Proud Bottle Blonde!