Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your hair look darker when it's at its healthiest?

Default Does your hair look darker when it's at its healthiest?

I've been making some good treatments lately and my hair looks very dark to me from the mirror. Also sometimes people have asked me if i have dyed my hair, when i have just made for example an aloe vera treatment, so that my hair has been really smooth and shiny.
    Last edited by Priska; November 22nd, 2023 at 01:04 PM.

Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Does your hair look darker when it's at its healthiest?

I have noticed that when my hair is more moisturized or more oily than usual that it is darker, to the point people have also asked if I had dyed it. I also notice that if I strip it with a strong shampoo it is much lighter. I am not sure if it is due to the frizz making it look lighter in color or the actual hair itself though.

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

I have heard some stylists state that properly moisturised hair is darker than dry hair.
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

A tad bit, yes, but then it's not "lifted" from the sun bleaching the bejeezus out of it, it doesn't have dye damage and there's 0 heat (I diffuse on warm/tolerable for the hands) on my hair. Is it darker? Yes, you can clearly see that in my profile that it is that dark ash color / signature as well. As it should be. I would rather have a smidge darker hair than hair that is totally unmanageable due to damage. I am 51, I have run the gamut of stuff you can do (wrong) to your hair. I think I have retired from doing crap to it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/WL/FTL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I have noticed my hair appears a tad bit lighter when it's squeaky clean, like if I have just used a clarifying shampoo and no conditioner after. It only lasts for a short time though, probably because the natural oils darkens it again as my hair has time to adjust. Likewise it appears darker if it has had time to get properly oily, similar to how it looks darker when wet.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    A tad bit, yes, but then it's not "lifted" from the sun bleaching the bejeezus out of it, it doesn't have dye damage and there's 0 heat (I diffuse on warm/tolerable for the hands) on my hair. Is it darker? Yes, you can clearly see that in my profile that it is that dark ash color / signature as well. As it should be. I would rather have a smidge darker hair than hair that is totally unmanageable due to damage. I am 51, I have run the gamut of stuff you can do (wrong) to your hair. I think I have retired from doing crap to it.
    You have such a striking and beautiful colour too, Lapushka!
    CBL - APL - MBL - WL - HL - BCL - TBL - CL - FTL
    They don't know I used to sail the deep and tranquil sea

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thank you so much Aerya, that means the world to me. I had the hardest time, trying to accept my natural color, because I dyed it all the colors of blonde that are there, then all the darker colors that are there, I tried red, just all natural colors because I hated having people compare it to the ashes in an ashtray. Hated it for many years. Now? I don't care. I have few years left (age 51) with my own color, let's make the most of it. And thank you again, you don't know how much this means to me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Darker? No, not at all.

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I suppose so. Not at the roots, those are usually a uniform color for me (mousy brown), but I noticed that my length in the old pictures (20 years ago) was much lighter - I never used any conditioner back then and I had a ton of split ends, so from ears down, I had almost a blonde color (not from dye, no dye). Nowadays, with proper haircare, the natural color of my length matches the color of my roots, there is very little to none lightening towards the ends.

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Yes. When it's frizzy it looks.lighter-colored.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Mine is a little darker with some oils in and definetely lighter in summer when it's drier.
    SHAVED june 2020 ~ MBL ~ goal WL
    On the floating, shapeless oceans
    I did all my best to smile