Thread: Dark grey/gray color using herbs?

Length
    5/30/50
    Type
    2c/F/M/i

Question Dark grey/gray color using herbs?

Hi,
    Is it possible to create a dark grey colour using some combination of amla, indigo, cassia, henna etc? My natural colour was ashy brown but my hair is pretty much white or light grey now. I hate it. I would prefer a dark grey or steel grey instead of white. Is this possible?
    Thanks

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Dark grey/gray color using herbs?

It is possible to get darker grey with katam
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    5/30/50
    Type
    2c/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by paulownia View Post
    It is possible to get darker grey with katam
    Thanks. I've seen that mentioned on one web page, but I can't find any other references to this effect or any instructions about how to achieve it. Also, is it true that katam washes out quickly?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If you can't find any info and want to experiment. Please don't use your head for a lab (I think Anje on here came up with that one). It means: strand test. Collect shed hair over the course of a month or month or two and divide into small pieces to smear your own concoctions onto. Document, document, document and do it well.

Herbs are finicky. Also, your own hair color often determines the result, in which case, no one can help... not really.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    5/30/50
    Type
    2c/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    If you can't find any info and want to experiment. Please don't use your head for a lab (I think Anje on here came up with that one). It means: strand test. Collect shed hair over the course of a month or month or two and divide into small pieces to smear your own concoctions onto. Document, document, document and do it well.

Herbs are finicky. Also, your own hair color often determines the result, in which case, no one can help... not really.
    Thanks. Yeah, I've had my fair share of colour disasters!

I've managed to find a bit more info on Katam. It's only exported from Yemen and the situation there basically means there's no genuine Katam available outside the country and any that you do find is probably just indigo. Regardless, I still haven't found any definitive information about how to use it or what it is likely to look like.

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DJCRUNK View Post
    Thanks. I've seen that mentioned on one web page, but I can't find any other references to this effect or any instructions about how to achieve it. Also, is it true that katam washes out quickly?
    Yes, it does, unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by DJCRUNK View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, I've had my fair share of colour disasters!

I've managed to find a bit more info on Katam. It's only exported from Yemen and the situation there basically means there's no genuine Katam available outside the country and any that you do find is probably just indigo. Regardless, I still haven't found any definitive information about how to use it or what it is likely to look like.
    Depends on the country you live in. Katam is available in most of the European countries.
    It works similar to indigo but is more finicky. You mix it with tepid, distilled water, add a little bit of salt or baking soda ( it likes alkaline environnement) and apply to clarified and chelated hair . 2 hours should do.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    5/30/50
    Type
    2c/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by paulownia View Post
    Yes, it does, unfortunately

Depends on the country you live in. Katam is available in most of the European countries.
    It works similar to indigo but is more finicky. You mix it with tepid, distilled water, add a little bit of salt or baking soda ( it likes alkaline environnement) and apply to clarified and chelated hair . 2 hours should do.
    Thanks for the info!