Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would my hair look thicker if I cut it shorter?

Default Would my hair look thicker if I cut it shorter?

My hair is so thin, it looks ridiculous. I watch a lot of hair tutorials that tell you to divide your hair in sections and I think to myself, "My entire head of hair is barely as thick as one of those 3 sections you just made!" If I try to put my hair in a braid or do a half-up/half-down, it looks like I have 20 strands of hair. I usually wear my hair down for this reason, but even then it's obvious how thin it is - doesn't even cover my back. No matter how I try to rearrange it, there are still gaps in there. I want to be able to style it.

I remember being told that I had really thick hair when I was younger, so I don't know if it's just been damaged and it will grow back one day. I found out that I had hypothyroidism 2 years ago, and since getting treated my hair has been shedding considerably less. It used to be so bad I avoided combing my hair because I would have to clean out the comb in between each stroke because each time it would get too clogged with shed hairs to do a second stroke. I'm still pulling out handfuls of hair when I detangle it every morning, but I'm probably losing a normal amount now.

I'm very gentle with my hair and I follow the CG method. My hair loves products with protein. I used to flat iron my hair every day for about 5 years, but I stopped that 4 years ago and now I air dry and don't use heat at all. Never colored or used chemical treatments. I had my hair cut in layers because I was told it would make it look a little thicker, but I feel like it only makes it look worse when you see how tiny the layers are with scraggly ends. I hate giving up length, but I would be willing to go as short as shoulder-length if it meant my hair would look like a normal person's. If I cut it to shoulder-length, would I be able to grow it back out and keep it thick since my hair is healthier now? Or would it still look like this if I grew it out again?

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Would my hair look thicker if I cut it shorter?

Hello, Maganda, so nice to meet you!

I am not so sure I should advise anyone on wether or not they should cut their hair, I am in the process of growing my own hair to APL. However, there is a thread here that you should check into, it is full of wonderful information for those with fine hair...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=17115

Thanks! I'm sorry if I didn't post in the right place - if this breaks any rules you can close this thread and I'll post on that one. I read through some of that thread (not all of it; it's so long..) but didn't see much about optimal length for thin hair. I'm wondering if maybe I just can't keep my hair at my true terminal length so I have to cut it shorter.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Oh no, please don't feel that you posted in the wrong place, I only felt that you might find some similar questions and therefore some useful information in the thread that I linked.

Your hair in the photo that you posted is really very pretty!

Length
    18/37/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Your hairtype is one that works really really well with fairytale ends like you have here.... Personally, I think it looks lovely. But I also know that when I trim off my thinner ends, I'm a lot happier with my hemline and with the ends of braids. If you were to cut a U-shape just above your bra band, it would look much thicker on the ends. You really don't need to cut it to shoulder!! I think every person has to find their personal preference of balancing their hemline thickness with their length.

Layers? On thin hair? Nope!!! I don't know why people suggest this. It can give more movement and free up the curl so volume increases higher up, but it'll just make the hemline thinner. If you need some movement, volume, and shape around your face, maybe try just some face-framing strands using the hair that you'd section off to cut bangs. That's helped me and others immensely, and we can leave the length at maximum thickness.

Your hair as it is, is lovely. I am so envious of your curl pattern! It'll be very interesting to see how your hair changes over time at LHC.

Collarbone --> Hip --> ??

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Maybe temporarily. Embrace what you got! Its a lot easier.
    Growing to knee! At HIP currently

Length
    12/22/34
    Type
    2b/F/M/i/ii

I do like the fairy tale ends! It's pretty, and I would never tell anyone to cut their hair. what's important is how you feel about your hair, not anyone else!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Interesting! You have hair similar to another member here, and she has the same problem.

If you don't like the thin ends, you can certainly thicken them by cutting. PraiseCheeses had a good suggestion. Or you could try tiny trims, maintaining where your length is now, to see if the thickness moves down over time.

Hair that is allowed to grow without trims will almost always develop very thin ends. This is because some the ends get old and dry and break off, also because hairs have different rates of growth. Your longest hairs represent your fastest-growing hairs. By trimming them on a regular basis, you give your slower-growing hairs a chance to catch up. You can trim back as much or as little as you like. Maybe you would be happy by cutting half of your growth - about 1/2 inch - every other month. Or maybe you'd prefer to cut back 1/2 inch every 3rd or 4th month. There are a lot of options, so don't suffer being unhappy with your hair. Try something new!

Type
    1b/F/i

My hair is very fine and also thin. I do not have your beautiful your curls. Only you can decide about trimming. My advice would be to think on it for a bit, and then decide. No rush. You might enjoy the fine hair thread that
    Luluj posted above.

Type
    1b/F/i

I wanted to add that your hair is truly lovely. There is no normal hair, but lots of wonderful diversity.