Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 LastLast

Thread: Successful henna removal. Yes, you are reading this correctly.

Default Re: Successful henna removal. Yes, you are reading this correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreSky View Post
    Cate36, it might be helpful to know what your basis is for “most people.”

I had an artist friend who expressed his opinions starting with the phrase “most people think that ...” When asked how he knew that, his answers were along the lines of “it’s common knowledge.” Anecdotally, he lived reclusively on a remote island, had no internet, and read no newspapers or magazines. Slowly over time he conceded he had no idea about most people and began expressing his opinions with “I think that ...” Perhaps it’s a natural inclination to want to believe our opinions are shared by a lot of people.
    I think your point is fair. I have done nothing but read about how to remove henna from hair for weeks -so "most people" is taken from the fact that all I have read is views from people that want to remove Henna - and there are more than just a few. So apologies.. of course I am not conducting a poll based on a mixed sample of testers to represent the whole. I guess the comment is based on me losing 3 months or so of life trying to get the stuff out..

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

^ A poll would actually be a great idea, would anyone like to make one here or the poll section? (Of course, the problem would still be to get a representative enough result.) And just to clarify, I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything with my earlier comment, Cate36, I just disagreed with the idea that it's the majority

I had an artist friend who expressed his opinions starting with the phrase “most people think that ...” When asked how he knew that, his answers were along the lines of “it’s common knowledge.” Anecdotally, he lived reclusively on a remote island, had no internet, and read no newspapers or magazines. Slowly over time he conceded he had no idea about most people and began expressing his opinions with “I think that ...” Perhaps it’s a natural inclination to want to believe our opinions are shared by a lot of people.
    That kind of talk is by no means limited to your artist friend, in fact so many people talk the same way...! I was actually going to say most people, but as I have no proof of that I'd be guilty of the same thing as discussed

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Cate36 View Post
    I think your point is fair. I have done nothing but read about how to remove henna from hair for weeks -so "most people" is taken from the fact that all I have read is views from people that want to remove Henna - and there are more than just a few. So apologies.. of course I am not conducting a poll based on a mixed sample of testers to represent the whole. I guess the comment is based on me losing 3 months or so of life trying to get the stuff out..
    I totally hear your frustration about removing it. In a way, you have encouraged those of us who love henna to speak up more often. Hope you and your hair will find happiness here at LHC.

I totally hear your frustration about removing it. In a way, you have encouraged those of us who love henna to speak up more often. Hope you and your hair will find happiness here at LHC.
    Well this forum really helped me along the way. It's a great community. I still have to use the perm hair die remover from time to time because the hair does have a habit of darkening ....which is SO annoying.. the whole episode has been very stressful.. but that is my fault for thinking that Lush's Henna was not permanent They even say on their website that it fades over time. Sigh..

But my encouragement to other users is that the henna can be considerably lightened, if not removed to almost unnoticeable in some areas. I am lucky, because my hair was strawberry blonde to start with, so not a lot of people have noticed the change, only those that see me everyday.. but the areas on top of my hair had gone completely blonde, and without using bleach (which I do not want to do) I don't think they will ever get as light as they were.. still.. I've gone from Suicidal to being able to live with it and even like it at times!

Having very very long hair doesn't help - because growing it out, without cutting my hair (which I won't do) is not going to happen any time soon...

If anyone wants pics, I'm happy to send them in PM.. (if that's possible on this forum.. not used it to post aside from on this one thread..)

Hello Cate36,

I have recently dyed my hair with light mountain red henna. I was hoping you could help me out a bit. I’ve read a few blogs stating. To use 70% rubbing alcohol or vodka. You mentioned using wine. Do you recommend using this instead, and if so, what kind? Also, did you find the decolour by Scott Cornwall to work better than colour oops? Thank you in advance!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Oliviadyanna View Post
    Hello Cate36,

I have recently dyed my hair with light mountain red henna. I was hoping you could help me out a bit. I’ve read a few blogs stating. To use 70% rubbing alcohol or vodka. You mentioned using wine. Do you recommend using this instead, and if so, what kind? Also, did you find the decolour by Scott Cornwall to work better than colour oops? Thank you in advance!
    Please don't try the rubbing alcohol, vodka, or wine. You have to remember that the lawsone molecule is now bound to the structure of your hair, and none of these methods undo that chemical reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Please don't try the rubbing alcohol, vodka, or wine. You have to remember that the lawsone molecule is now bound to the structure of your hair, and none of these methods undo that chemical reaction.
    The alcohol didn't affect my hair thankfully. But obviously not recommended.

The henna is 100% totally gone from my hair.. not a trace.. so it is possible.

HOWEVER! I did take it one step too far with the permanent hair colour removers and damaged my hair that way, which has been traumatic with breakage.. now recovering with Olaplex and Khair-pep.. I stress however, that the henna was pretty much completely gone by the time I pushed my hair too far...it is now 1000% not there..

My advice to anyone desperate enough to try Permanent hair colour removers is to do is SLOWLY. Rest your hair for days in between and baby it with Olaplex.. the colour did come out of my hair this way.. but it took multiple uses and I didn't (at the time) know enough about hair to think that I was doing any damage..

Quote Originally Posted by Oliviadyanna View Post
    Hello Cate36,

Hi Oliviadyanna.. the comments in my reply to NIghtshade above pretty much cover it.. but to add a bit more detail.. the alcohol didn't really do much.

I have never died my hair before.. so didn't at first realise that the colour oops was the same as other products on the shelf here in Australia. I used colour opps for about 30 mins at first I think.. it didn't damage my hair... lightened the henna.. and following it I used Euro Oil for a for hours.. and when I washed that out, there was a noticeable difference...

The problem (as may on this thread have testified) is that the henna colour comes back .. oxidises.. over the next few days..

Now I am totally OCD.. I don't wash my hands 100 times a day.. but if I want something, and find a product that seems to promise it.. even if it says "only use a small amount".. I will bath in it... being OD is great for running a business.. terrible for anything else..

Realising that colour remover products (not hair strippers that lighten the hair) would remove henna.. I over dosed. The Scott Cornwall was good .. gentle.. and I used and used it.. and used it... daily.. sometimes twice a day... my hair withstood that OK.. The real damage came when I used Jobaz Max.. left on for an hour... at this point my hair gave up the ghost.. started to break.. even then I was not satisfied.. even when most of the henna was out, there was still orange tints.

The problem with Henna on light hair is that the more you remove.. or manage to get out.. the oranger it can get.. the red really sticks.. so my hair went through an orange stage which had me in tears... it was not as noticeable to anyone else but me.. and I should have stopped at that point.. but I couldn't resist still trying to get the last bits out.. so continued to wash and wash with harsh shampoos and the Scott Cornwall remover..

My hair was damaged very badly.. and dealing with that has been worst.. far far far worst than the henna.

So my advice is as above.. I think Scott Cornwall is the most gentle.. I would use it as instructed... but pace it out as you will need more than one application if your head is thick with henna.. I would also use the Euro oil after it. The way I used the colour removers, was to rub them into the cuticle.. hence the damage I guess.. but for a long time, that did really work... but be warned.. there is a point where you can push it too far.

I would combine any and all of this with Olaplex 3 over night to rebuild the hair inbetween... I didn't know about it at the time because I have never before this episode, used chemicals on my hair.

So removing it and lightening it is a slow process.. it took me 3 months to get the henna out... but you have to damage your hair to an extent to do it..

The lesson for anyone with long hair especially..is devastating..

In my search for hair repair products I did come across some indian hair dressers that were very familiar with henna.. they said if I had come to them, they would have helped me with toners etc, to assist the colour distress I was having and help me live with the henna..it may be worth going to see some hairdressers that really understand henna and are VERY experienced with colour to see if thay can help.

The only good thing I have no is that my own colour is back, I truly appreciate it, I realise now how lucky I was to have healthy hair before this journey started.. and I'll never ever die my hair again.. and I now know how to really take care of my hair with diet and the right products.

I know what it is like to have henna die in your hair and hate it so much you don't want to leave the house... but trust me.. whatever you try.. accept the best you can that it will be a slow journey to fade and if you get there, remove it... it's better than trying to do what I did, and pushing too far..

Quote Originally Posted by Cate36 View Post
    Hi Oliviadyanna.. the comments in my reply to NIghtshade above pretty much cover it.. but to add a bit more detail.. the alcohol didn't really do much.

I have never died my hair before.. so didn't at first realise that the colour oops was the same as other products on the shelf here in Australia. I used colour opps for about 30 mins at first I think.. it didn't damage my hair... lightened the henna.. and following it I used Euro Oil for a for hours.. and when I washed that out, there was a noticeable difference...

The problem (as may on this thread have testified) is that the henna colour comes back .. oxidises.. over the next few days..

Now I am totally OCD.. I don't wash my hands 100 times a day.. but if I want something, and find a product that seems to promise it.. even if it says "only use a small amount".. I will bath in it... being OD is great for running a business.. terrible for anything else..

Realising that colour remover products (not hair strippers that lighten the hair) would remove henna.. I over dosed. The Scott Cornwall was good .. gentle.. and I used and used it.. and used it... daily.. sometimes twice a day... my hair withstood that OK.. The real damage came when I used Jobaz Max.. left on for an hour... at this point my hair gave up the ghost.. started to break.. even then I was not satisfied.. even when most of the henna was out, there was still orange tints.

The problem with Henna on light hair is that the more you remove.. or manage to get out.. the oranger it can get.. the red really sticks.. so my hair went through an orange stage which had me in tears... it was not as noticeable to anyone else but me.. and I should have stopped at that point.. but I couldn't resist still trying to get the last bits out.. so continued to wash and wash with harsh shampoos and the Scott Cornwall remover..

My hair was damaged very badly.. and dealing with that has been worst.. far far far worst than the henna.

So my advice is as above.. I think Scott Cornwall is the most gentle.. I would use it as instructed... but pace it out as you will need more than one application if your head is thick with henna.. I would also use the Euro oil after it. The way I used the colour removers, was to rub them into the cuticle.. hence the damage I guess.. but for a long time, that did really work... but be warned.. there is a point where you can push it too far.

I would combine any and all of this with Olaplex 3 over night to rebuild the hair inbetween... I didn't know about it at the time because I have never before this episode, used chemicals on my hair.

So removing it and lightening it is a slow process.. it took me 3 months to get the henna out... but you have to damage your hair to an extent to do it..

The lesson for anyone with long hair especially..is devastating..

In my search for hair repair products I did come across some indian hair dressers that were very familiar with henna.. they said if I had come to them, they would have helped me with toners etc, to assist the colour distress I was having and help me live with the henna..it may be worth going to see some hairdressers that really understand henna and are VERY experienced with colour to see if thay can help.

The only good thing I have no is that my own colour is back, I truly appreciate it, I realise now how lucky I was to have healthy hair before this journey started.. and I'll never ever die my hair again.. and I now know how to really take care of my hair with diet and the right products.

I know what it is like to have henna die in your hair and hate it so much you don't want to leave the house... but trust me.. whatever you try.. accept the best you can that it will be a slow journey to fade and if you get there, remove it... it's better than trying to do what I did, and pushing too far..
    (excuse the typos!)

Has anyone had any success using decolour by Scott Cornwall? I am trying to decide if it is worth buying and will make any difference. I have not heard as many people using it as people using Colour Oops. I have one layer of henna on virgin hair and need some advice on where to start on removing it. I’ve had this henna for about 2 weeks now 😬 major regret