Page 53 of 92 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful henna removal. Yes, you are reading this correctly.

Default Re: Successful henna removal. Yes, you are reading this correctly.

After reading everyone's posts, I decided to give Color Oops - Extra Strength a try tonight. My husband applied it and I left it on for 3 hours and rinsed with repeater shampooings for over 30 minutes. Previous, my hair had a couple inches of new growth, some bright red dye from November, and years of Henna. I had it chopped in November due to thinning after some major surgeries.

So far, the roots are lighter, the burgundy/cherry tones are gone and overall it is more of a Henna orange. Many different shades (I look calico) but the grow out line is definitely faded. I have another box, so will be giving it a go again in the next few days.

With each surgery I have had, my natural hair color changed, which affected my color plus with the changes in medications and it is a mess. Right now I am just trying to salvage as much as I can so I can grow it out again. Plus I want pretty hair for our vow renewal.

Thank you all for this thread. It has given me hope that I will not have to get a pixie cut to get rid of the chaos.
    Last edited by Psyche; April 27th, 2012 at 12:30 AM.
    ~ Something witty this way comes ~

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by winship2 View Post
    I don't want to take the thread OT, but I think I'll give this a try later in the afternoon and report back briefly, since I asked the question here. Thanks, Mona.
    So, I did apply a honey lightener (2 oz honey, 8 distilled water, 1 Tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil) for 2 hours. Not sure I saw any real change, except that it did improve the smell of my hair (mmm, baklava!) and take away the henna smell.

I'm not usually wishy-washy, but I'm still on the fence about doing the Oops. I guess I don't want to be repulsive to my husband for a few weeks while the smell dissipates!but I also don't want to have major root grow-out...

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by diverbel View Post
    For those wanting to lighten henna, remove chemical dyes, indigo, and buxus, here is what I did. I am copying the link to the thread I started awhile back. Hope it can help someone.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=82679
    Diverbel, thanks for linking to this. Do you think you'd do it again, or does the Oops sound more gentle to you? I laughed/cringed at your comment about combing n SOS pad. Yikes! Glad you didn't lose too much hair!

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Winship2, Remember most people have to do several honey treatments before seeing any difference. Although it does produce peroxide, it's a tiny amount.
    I think I saw a change after doing it twice, but I've read other people's posts saying they didn't see a change until they'd done a lot more. I think a lot of people give up quickly and say it doesn't work because they think the results will be noticeable a lot sooner!

The change I first saw was, my hair looked somehow brighter, that's the best way I can describe it. Not exactly lighter. But it's definitely lighter now.

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MonaMayfair View Post
    Winship2, Remember most people have to do several honey treatments before seeing any difference. Although it does produce peroxide, it's a tiny amount.
    I think I saw a change after doing it twice, but I've read other people's posts saying they didn't see a change until they'd done a lot more. I think a lot of people give up quickly and say it doesn't work because they think the results will be noticeable a lot sooner!

The change I first saw was, my hair looked somehow brighter, that's the best way I can describe it. Not exactly lighter. But it's definitely lighter now.
    Yes, you're quite right. I feel a little urgency because I only just henndigoed on Wednesday and I feel like sooner is better on the Oops, if I do decide to do it! Though people have reported success on older color. I think my hair is less shony and more tangle-prone after doing the honey lightening. Perhaps I can learn a way to improve my technique with that. Maybe oiling afterwards?

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Yes, you're quite right. I feel a little urgency because I only just henndigoed on Wednesday and I feel like sooner is better on the Oops, if I do decide to do it! Though people have reported success on older color. I think my hair is less shony and more tangle-prone after doing the honey lightening. Perhaps I can learn a way to improve my technique with that. Maybe oiling afterwards?
    That sounds like a good thing to try if your hair likes oil. I've tried loads of different ones, but the only one that works for me is a VERY small amount of Argan oil.

I do use leave in conditioner though (I don't use wash out conditioner at all, as I always shed more when I do) so that goes on my hair after I've rinsed the honey out.

Length
    12 in/15 in/30 in
    Type
    3c/F/iii

Diverbel, thanks for linking to this. Do you think you'd do it again, or does the Oops sound more gentle to you? I laughed/cringed at your comment about combing n SOS pad. Yikes! Glad you didn't lose too much hair!

I am sorry, I didn't see this earlier! I would definetly do the effasol again! No way would I use the color oops ever! My
    exhusband's wife used it along with colorfix and her hair was a
    gawd awful mess, gummy, straw looking and green/purple from it! The effasol works differently, don't know the specifics, but it was amazing!! As long as you use a deep conditioner treatment after the effasol, I think your hair would be fine. I was floored with the results I got and would do it again in a heartbeat!! Just be sure to use the water method, it is alot more gentle on the hair.

Length
    jaw/SL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

After reading this entire thread I have decided to see if I can't fade my many layers of jet black henndigo to dark brown/red. I just finished my first application (done as the original post reccomends) and its still wet but I can definately see SOME difference, especially around the crown.... fingers crossed
    Long hair/ natural hair care friendly hair stylist

Length
    jaw/SL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Well, when I first got out of the shower, I saw definite lightening, now, none. zero difference... but also zero damage, I'll try again soon
    Long hair/ natural hair care friendly hair stylist

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Sound like you may not have rinsed enough Jellybene, the rinsing really is the key. If you don't rinse enough, the colour will simply reoxidise. Try again though, I took several attempts to get my box dye out, and it was so worth it

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!