Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MSM?

Length
    50"/60"/floor
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Default Re: MSM?

I've been slacking on my MSM but just bought some more from Trader Joe's last night. I am allergic to some antibiotics but I've never had any trouble with the MSM. I've found it's supposed to be good for a whole huge list of things. It seems to be one of the few things that help my husband's allergies too.

Where is everyone buying their MSM? At Trader Joe's it is $4.99 for one hundred 1000mg tablets. I usually take 2 a day, but seeing higher dosages here, I may increase my dosage.

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Airmide View Post
    Where is everyone buying their MSM? At Trader Joe's it is $4.99 for one hundred 1000mg tablets. I usually take 2 a day, but seeing higher dosages here, I may increase my dosage.
    I used to get mine at a local natural foods place but now I get it at Vitacost because it's way cheaper. I get 35 oz of Source Naturals MSM powder for around $26. It lasts a long, long time.
    Last edited by HuggyBear; September 28th, 2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: More info
    (Taken Apr.'11)

Everybody lives, Rose. Just this once! Everybody lives! ~ The Doctor

Length
    50"/60"/floor
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    I used to get mine at a local natural foods place but now I get it at Vitacost because it's way cheaper. I get 35 oz of Source Naturals MSM powder for around $26. It lasts a long, long time.
    When you take the powder, how do you do it? Do you just mix it with water or juice or something? Or do you have to buy capsules to load it into?

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Airmide View Post
    When you take the powder, how do you do it? Do you just mix it with water or juice or something? Or do you have to buy capsules to load it into?
    Usually, I mix it in my orange juice or a smoothie every morning. Can't taste it at all that way.
    (Taken Apr.'11)

Everybody lives, Rose. Just this once! Everybody lives! ~ The Doctor

Length
    chin/20"/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/iii

Is it safe?

Length
    12/30 MB/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/ii/iii

I take a 1000 mg MSM pill in the morning and another 300 mg pill in evening. The latter pill has herbals that contain other ingredients like Silica. I found a very good information page on MSM. It explains all sorts of different uses for MSM. You can access the page here.

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jennescence View Post
    Is it safe?
    MSM is water soluble, and doesn't have as careful a balance, interaction-wise, as biotin for example (which is part of the b-vitamin complex, and any disruption is...not such a wonderful idea). Water soluble means that you can take extra and pee it out, though it's still not wise to consume massive doses in case it puts and extra load on your kidneys.

It's the fat soluble vitamins that people are generally caught out with. They bioaccumulate, which is really not what you want. vitamin A & D are common culprits.

MSM is toxic at a doses of 1050g (a whopping great amount = 1kg) and it looks like it's still safe at doses of 40,000mg per day, though I really wouldn't take that much. It does interfere with copper absorption - not that this is a great problem, since we mostly eat more copper than we need since it is present in pretty much every food (pretty much all plants and animals bio-accumulate it).

Basically, having done lots of research myself, I have come to the conclusion that the dose I am taking is safe enough for my comfort. It is less than was given to humans in arthritis studies, for example.
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Banned
    Length
    < 10"/26.75/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie0763 View Post
    Thanks Infinity Girl!

I am glad I asked; if it is any kind of kin to sulfa antibiotics, I'm allergic. Hmm, so I might end up with long, lovely hair, but be covered head to toe in hives? I think I'll pass on this one.
    I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, but I can take MSM. HTH

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

For all it's worth, I'm also allergic to sulfa drugs, and MSM made me feel bad in a sulfa-allergy type way (minus the burning rash). So I had to give it up. It's really annoying because I really want to take this stuff.

Length
    APL+/BSL+/thick
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I just started taking MSM 1500mg a few days ago, let's see how it goes! I bought mine through Amazon (Doctor's Best brand).