Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: guilt free straightening hair method

Length
    16/32.5/50
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: guilt free straightening hair method

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post
    ETA: and why is that, anyway? The OP has ii/iii hair, so it's not like her hair is that much thinner than mine. Maybe I'll start a thread, I've always been puzzled as to why some people's hair dries so much faster than others.
    Could be where you live. I'm in Brisbane, which is hot. You would think that hair would dry rather quickly, but some days are very humid, and it takes longer to dry then.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hekuro View Post
    Alright, I feel like a doofus, but I cannot figure this hair wrapping thing out. I'm on a trip out of the country, so I figured I'd use the time away from my bf to try it out. But after 40 minutes of trying, I just ended up with a bunch of knots and mats in my hair. To top it all off, the high speed internet promised by the hotel isn't so high speed after all. So I can't watch any videos on youtube or anything.

Any chance anyone could explain the process in words? It looks like I part my hair slightly off center. Then, brush one side around, gather all the hair together. Then somehow I'm supposed to magically take the hair that was laying flat on my head and brush it so it's laying flat in the opposite direction? All while keeping the hair spiraling around a center point near the top back of my head?

That part where the hair is supposed to wrap in a nice spiral is exactly where mine turned into a giant knot.

I'm sorry to be so slow with all this...I really appreciate any help.

Thanks guys!

Hekuro
    Don't feel bad, I tried to wrap my hair for good 2 hours with no success and bunch of tangles, knots and mats. Probably never again.
    I'm not sure how it suppose to work on thick long hair, when I wrap mine, no matter how careful I am, some hair comes up and out in the crown area when I get to this moment:

The center part you see here, my hair just rises up all around it:

There's not enough room for all the hair around the head, I just can't keep it contained. It does feel like there's some amount of hair that's too much, there's no room for it.

I decided to let it go. I'm semi-'straightening' my length by air drying it in a chinese bun or spidermoms bun. Much easier and knot free.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    26/36/34
    Type
    2a/M/ii

This looks pretty nifty, but my hair tends to dry greasy if I leave it wet/damp for too long, so I'm a bit reluctant to try it. Your results look terrific, though!

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i

I stayed up fiddling around with this method after all and watched Mulan II on the internet into the wee hours of the morning while it dried. The scarf I chose did not stay on my head through what ever little sleep I did get but my hair is much straighter than before. It even straightened out my front hairs that are usually quite wavy.

I'll definitely be doing this again! The combing part is just really awkward and took me quite a while to figure out

Longhaired Intellectual Periwinkle's Avatar
    Length
    ~APL+/waist/TB+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I'm totally lost. How have you done that? How on earth is it staying up? How do you wrap it like that?

September 2013 - waist length (though not on its best day!)
    Back to the LHC regime, let's finally get past waist length!
    ~ Lady Tyche of the Blessed Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~

Length
    Chin/Waist/TB
    Type
    1b/M/ii

This is beautiful. I have to try this!! Do you use anything special to prep your hair with?

Length
    23APL/24,5/BSL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I've tried this for about ten times now, and it does get somewhat easier, but i still think it's rather hard to do . Especially the crown area.

I did find out some things that work better for me:

- Some youtube tutorials on wrapping suggest using saran wrap to wrap your hair, i tried this the first time. But of course, like i could've expected: my hair was still wet in the morning. So a breathing scarf is really the way to go.

- I have straight blunt bangs and when they come out of the wrap, they lay reaaally flat against my forehead. So the last two times i wrapped my hair starting off with putting a roller in my wet bangs and THEN started to wrap the rest of my hair around my head. This made them exactly how i would wear them normally .

- Another issue i stumbled upon was that i'm doing CO and i have very fine and thin hair, so it's really important to use a conditioner that doesn't weigh your hair down too much, otherwise your hair will be very flat.

- Make sure your scarf fits securely and tight around your head, i woke up one morning with the scarf being next to my bed and my hair being a mess

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Don't feel bad, I tried to wrap my hair for good 2 hours with no success and bunch of tangles, knots and mats. Probably never again.
    I'm not sure how it suppose to work on thick long hair, when I wrap mine, no matter how careful I am, some hair comes up and out in the crown area when I get to this moment:
    Yup, that's exactly it! My hair goes all crazy and knotted and falling out around the crown. I'm glad I'm not the only one. But I'm bound and determined to figure this out. My hair will hold in whatever position I dry it in, so I know it'll take my curls to straight locks if I can just get it to work...

I did look at the Chinese bun and spidermom's bun. To be honest, I think I'm a bit of an updo idiot...couldn't figure out spidermom's at all. And I don't really have hair toys yet, so my one hairstick is way too short for a Chinese bun. But I'll give it a try in the future.

I tried the wrap again tonight, and just ignored the mess at the crown. I got it all wrapped, I'm sure there are knots at the crown and it will dry in crazy kinks, but hopefully the rest will be ok. I don't have a scarf, so I'm just using a hair net. Have the feeling this is going to come unraveled when I lay down for sleep. Oh well.

So, I have another question. When I get a scarf, how do I tie it? I've never figured out how to get a scarf (let alone a silk one) to stay in my hair.

Heh, I will figure this out. I'll definitely watch some youtube vids once I'm back in the country this weekend and have high speed again. In the meantime, thanks for the help!

~Hekuro

Length
    8"/30"/Term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I have been meaning to post on this thread for a while now, but I was hoping to get some good pics of it first, which hasn't happened yet. Anyway, this technique has really worked well for me, though I haven't been able to get it too look quite as smooth as yours when it is all combed against my head. I have been using a t-shirt for securing it. Thanks so much for posting this technique!

Mary <><
    Matthew 5:14-16

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Are the issues people having because of layers, maybe?

I know that's one reason it wouldn't work for me; I'd need bobby pins EVERYWHERE for it to work properly.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)