Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: guilt free straightening hair method

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

Talking guilt free straightening hair method

i've recently come across this method and simplified it for straightening hair and it works really well even add's bounce to it.
    start off with damp hair a run some water through you hair with you fingers (helps hold the hair together)
    don't fiddle with the swirl (even hold it down) just mostly concentrate on the edges and brush and brush the hair in and it will hold it's self. Then put your hair in a hair-net or a silk type scarf to stop bits esaping when its drying. leave it till dry or even leave it on till morning and you've set you hair till next wash.
    i have wavy hair and this method i have found secures even the front bags (i think they're called) without waves returning within hours like it used to with straighteners .
    take note this has taken over a month to get right and used to, but defanly been worth the practice.
    pins in my opinion have ruined my attempts and have added kinks, so for me it's been easier to not use them but it's essential to keep it still with hair net when drying.

don't know how aware people are here of hair wrapping so i thought i'd share this with you guys anyway........................
    Last edited by rach; March 22nd, 2009 at 03:09 PM.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: guilt free straightening hair method

I tried it, it made my roots/scalp ache where the hair was going against its natural direction. I've been eying this hair wrap thing for a while now, but it's alot harder to do on long hair, it takes ages to dry, and also the scalp ache thing.
    Did you experience any of these problems?

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Best pictures of the method I've seen; thank you for sharing. Us long-term LHCers have seen more than a few threads about this hair-straightening method over the years, so don't be too surprised if you don't get a lot of comment.

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    I tried it, it made my roots/scalp ache where the hair was going against its natural direction. I've been eying this hair wrap thing for a while now, but it's alot harder to do on long hair, it takes ages to dry, and also the scalp ache thing.
    Did you experience any of these problems?
    i've recently changed my hair parting to the side which i probrably should have mentioned (suits my henna hair colour somehow) which probably helps the direction thing, aches with central parting.
    my comb is very bunted and actually quite massaging and my brush is "tangle teezer" brush which is very gentle and effective. i wouldn't dare use a normal bush, it would get in a mess and would rip my hair apart. as for length don't think it matters unless you've got supper thick hair where you might look mushroomy, just keep brushing round and round. i don't get scalp ache though this way just disorientation on ahhh, where's my hair gone

yeah, takes ages for it to dry probably 6+ hours with my hair.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Can we see before and after photos?

I agree with spidermom, we've seen lots of these, but your photos are the best so far

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I think it sounds cool, but I just can't fathom my hair ever drying if I did something like that to it. If I left it like that for a couple of days, maybe, but that's not going to happen. :-p

My guilt free method is to take super good care of my hair 99% of the time. And, at most, once a week use a Sedu straightener on the lowest heat setting with a good protectant in my hair.

6 months ago my hair was virgin hair. I got it cut to where it was virgin hair. And 6 months later it's not virgin hair anymore, but it looks and feels like it is.

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

i'll post pic of my hair when naturally dried and a pic of this one wrapped dried tomorrow morning

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by littlebabywulf View Post
    I think it sounds cool, but I just can't fathom my hair ever drying if I did something like that to it. If I left it like that for a couple of days, maybe, but that's not going to happen. :-p
    I feel the same way about these hair-wrap things. My hair won't completely dry overnight just loose, so I'm sure it wouldn't dry all wrapped up like that. It would be great to have a heat-free straightening method, but I don't think this would work for me.

ETA: and why is that, anyway? The OP has ii/iii hair, so it's not like her hair is that much thinner than mine. Maybe I'll start a thread, I've always been puzzled as to why some people's hair dries so much faster than others.
    Last edited by Roseate; March 22nd, 2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: see ETA

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

I have tried this before, but it has never worked for me, because my hair finds a way to escape. I never thought to use a scarf to hold it in. I will have to give that a shot sometime

Type
    3a/M/C/iii

I recently saw a video about hair wrapping. The video maker started with dry hair and sprayed it with a little oil and then proceeded to smooth it out like these photos and then wrap with saran wrap. A little heat or longer with no heat and then it came out nice and straight and smooth.