Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burned my hair at work =(

Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Burned my hair at work =(

I work in a factory with welding robots. They have plastic sheets around most of them to contain the sparks, and I've worked here for almost 2 years and not had any problems. All the sudden today, a ball of sparks came flying out of a cell and landed right on top of my head. I put it out and took my ponytail down and finger combed it.... and a ball of hair came out. =(

I'm not much of a dramatic person, but I'm literally trying not to cry in the middle of my shift. I've gone through the pixie-shoulder-pixie rut since 2008, and I got serious about growing to waist since the pixie May 2013. And now I have either a bald spot somewhere, or just a chunk of very short burnt hairs that I can't find yet.

I guess I'm gonna start wearing bandanas but.... it's so hot in this factory that I'm already drenched in sweat with nothing on my head. Bleh
    Last edited by Ashflower89; May 27th, 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Burned my hair at work =(

I'm so sorry this happened. Hopefully it's not anything too dramatic. It seems like since you didn't really notice anything yet that it might not be a huge set back after all.

Maybe a bandana isn't a bad thing? It might help absorb the sweat so you won't be as hot.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    13/31/Donno
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Oh honey!

I think they make stay cool bandanas that you wet...
    ISO: Medium or Small leopard, border, or silky Logo ficcare
    Pixie to TBL. Cut back to waist, thinking of going shorter

Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ExpectoPatronum View Post
    I'm so sorry this happened. Hopefully it's not anything too dramatic. It seems like since you didn't really notice anything yet that it might not be a huge set back after all.

Maybe a bandana isn't a bad thing? It might help absorb the sweat so you won't be as hot.
    Thanks Patronum =) i hope youre right.... i wont get to take a good look at it til my shift is over. My head reeks of burning hair smell... kind of afraid to look at it =/

Type
    2b/F/ii

I wore a bandana my whole first summer at this job, and it made my head sweat sooo bad. Plus my hair follicles hurt from being masjed flat by the bandana. I never got hit with sparks that summer, so I figured I could get away without one this summer. Apparently I was wrong =/ Ill have to check out the cool bandanas, thank you Quasi

Length
    26/38/56
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Ashflower89 -- so sorry this happened to you. I would be totally freaked out - hope the damage is less than you think.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Ugh how frightening! I'm glad it was just that ball of hair you showed. That will not likely be a severe problem for you, just an inconvenient layer.

Fire and long hair is *very* dangerous, and if you can make a bun you'll be better off, and then put some sort of cooling bandana over top.

Length
    ChL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I am sorry this happened to you.. Maybe the damage is not that big. If you wore a ponytail all day, maybe there are some naturally shed hair there too? I usually shed this much trough all day, so that seems normal to me. I don't know how much you shed though...

ChL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HBL-TBL ........

"When it rains, everything grows..."

Length
    12/26/26
    Type
    2b/F/i

I weld and run a plasma table. Sparks happen. Never got a bald spot from sparks but every once in awhile I get the burned hair smell. I don't wear anything on my hair other than keeping it in a bun or ponytail. The guys wear baseball caps backwards to protect their necks.

Type
    2b/F/ii

I'm home now and took a shower, got the burnt hair stink off me. I found a small section near the top of my head with 1" hairs, but its really sparse and I can hide it easily, thank god. I was worried I had a straight up bald spot.

I've been growing out a pixie since May last year, so its only been a year and I just hit shoulder length. Not long enough for buns really, and my job is really physical so fancy styles sort of don't hold.... so I just resort to a plain ponytail and a headband for flyaways. Definitely gonna keep it covered with a bandana from now on, hat-hair is better than no hair lol.