Thread: Where to get oil products?

Length
    14/19/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Where to get oil products?

I went shopping for oils. I wanted to try coconut oil and caster oil. Where do you find these at? I found coconut oil in the vitamin section but it this the one to use? And caster oil, well the only one I could find was in the laxative section. Is this the right one? Or is there a better place to find it? Also, does caster oil really make hair grow faster? How do you use these oils? Can they be used on dry hair lightly to add shine? Are they for hot oil treatments? Also I found a hot oil treatment but I didn't get it without first seeking advice here. It was an Alberto VO5 hot oil treatment. Do these types of hot oil treatments work? I have naturally curly, shoulder length hair, feels very dry in the middle right down to the ends due to past abuse with perms to soften my stronger natural curl. Any help will be great. Thanks

Length
    Pixie/19 in/BSL

Default Re: Where to get oil products?

Hi!

I can't answer all of your questions, but I've found coconut oil in the cooking sections of grocery stores and the beauty/health sections of health-food stores! I use it cold on my damp or dry hair.

This article is useful:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=71

Here is a list of reviews!

http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showcat.php/cat/6

I've not tried castor oil.
    Last edited by Charentais; August 18th, 2009 at 08:22 AM.

Account Closed by Member Request

I got my castor oil at amazon.com and you can get coconut oil at walmart in the mexican food section, a quart for less than 6$

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Yep, the oil in the vitamin section is the coconut oil you're looking for. Check out a grocery store for these oils as well. The Castor oil in the laxative section is the same castor oil, but you can often get a better price online if your hair likes it.

If you have curly hair, I have no idea how to oil it on a regular basis.

With your waves, I'd suggest applying it dry and brushing, if that works for you, as you would a shine serum(a small amount), for day to day use. Occasionally use a lot more as a deep oil treatment if your hair is really dry, and CO wash out. The hot oil treatments in drugstores are overpriced, as you can just use olive oil or any other oil for the same effect.

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I find mine at a health food store or in the grocery store (food aisle).

I have wavy hair and I apply the oil by smoothing it over the surface first (from the ears down), and then twirling sections where I want more defined waves (I do a little bit of combing prior, but I never brush/comb after oiling as don't want to disturb the waves I've defined)
    May 2009

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

It can take some searching. I've seen castor oil in the drugstore, I think it's sold as an enema or laxative or something like that. It's in a little brown bottle like the ones hydrogen peroxide is sold in.

I didn't ever find coconut oil at the grocery store, but I have a Whole Foods I can get to occasionally, and that's where I eventually found mine.

You can find some oils at the grocery store, though, I found sweet almond oil there.
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.