Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLS vs Sodium Coco-Sulfate

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default SLS vs Sodium Coco-Sulfate

Since SLS transform my scalp into a perfect replica of the Sahara desert, I'm looking for a shampoo without it (no offense to those who live in Sahara :P).

I found a shampoo-bar by Lush, "Squeaky Green", which doesn't contain SLS, but Sodium Coco-Sulfate. I wonder, is this better than SLS? Is this a bit more... Merciful to the hair and scalp?

Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: SLS vs Sodium Coco-Sulfate

here's what i've found on it...
    Sodium Coco Sulfate is a naturally derived alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in flake form. Sodium Coco Sulfate is derived from pure coconut oil. It can be used in a wide variety of personal care applications in which viscosity building and foam characteristics are of importance. The product formulates similar to synthetic alkyl sulfates, but is less defatting to the hair and skin. SCS being less soluble than synthetic alkyl sulfates leaves the skin and hair with a conditioned feel. It can be incorporated into shampoos, hand soaps, bath products, shaving creams and medicated ointments. It is especially useful for opaque, pearlescent, or cream products.
    source

side note; i use John Masters Organics and its amazing. (completely SLS free) makes my scalp happy and it smells amazing. if you're ever looking for something definitely try one of his products

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It's exactly the same thing, except that sodium coco sulfate is supposed to be derived from coconuts only, and may have a spread of molecular weights (i.e. the "tail" of the molecule may vary by a carbon atom or two from one molecule to the next)... though it generally doesn't. It has the same CAS number and everything There's a warning and discussion about that in the archives -- right here. Same CAS number means identical chemical, with possible difference in purity.

Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS):

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ademtce View Post
    here's what i've found on it...
    source

side note; i use John Masters Organics and its amazing. (completely SLS free) makes my scalp happy and it smells amazing. if you're ever looking for something definitely try one of his products
    Thanks for your reply!
    John Masters Organics seems great, very interesting products! Unfortunatley way over my budget. :|

Maybe I'll give the shampoo-bar a try.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    It's exactly the same thing, except that sodium coco sulfate is supposed to be derived from coconuts only, and may have a spread of molecular weights (i.e. the "tail" of the molecule may vary by a carbon atom or two from one molecule to the next)... though it generally doesn't. It has the same CAS number and everything There's a warning and discussion about that in the archives -- right here. Same CAS number means identical chemical, with possible difference in purity.

Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS):
    Yes, that's what I thought. They seemed way too similar. Thanks for clearing it up!
    I might give the bar a try anyways though, at least I could use it as a clarifyer.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Konstifik View Post
    Yes, that's what I thought. They seemed way too similar. Thanks for clearing it up!
    I might give the bar a try anyways though, at least I could use it as a clarifyer.
    Yeah, it's worth a shot. The lower purity apparently suits some people much better than standard SLS...

Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Basically, SCS is muddy, not-as-efficient SLS. Haha. I do think it's a bit milder on my scalp, but not mild enough for me, but I guess I could see how it may help some that just need the dial turned down a bit on the cleansing.

If you do end up trying it, I (and I'm sure others) would love to see what you think and how they compare with regards to dryness.

Length
    pixie/22.5/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii

My hair feels cleaner and my scalp less scritchy with SCS than with SLS, but SLES has the same effects to SCS.
    1" (03/13), 18" (05/14); 6yrs off LHC, pixied 10/17, now 22”
    Maybe goals: BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
    Basically, SCS is muddy, not-as-efficient SLS. Haha. I do think it's a bit milder on my scalp, but not mild enough for me, but I guess I could see how it may help some that just need the dial turned down a bit on the cleansing.

If you do end up trying it, I (and I'm sure others) would love to see what you think and how they compare with regards to dryness.
    Alright, I'll try it out when my current shampoo is used up. =) Will report!

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Hmmm.... If your scalp easily turns into a desert, I would tend to think that something called 'squeaky green' would not be the best thing to wash your hair with. Maybe you could find a more moisturizing shampoo?