Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Hairstyles for working out, exercising and sports

Length
    40+/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I wear these:

(And yes, that is a rare glimpse of the old LHC in the background.)

They are two clips that vaguely resemble french combs, and on shorter hair they hold wonderfully. I thought I lost one, bought another, and then had a friend tell me they had found my first one. What to do. So, I put them both on, one on each side, with claws interlocking. The results were fantastic. They hold better than a ficcare (though for a one-clip deal, ficcare is better), and the two have a curve that combined fits the curvature of the skull quite well, in my opinion. I believe scunci makes them. Mine were inexpensive, easily under $10. I have thick near-hip hair, and this holds them so well. There's no pulling, it's great. They don't need readjusting and don't loosen over time (unless you sleep in them, and yes, I have on multiple occasions).

I am not the jogging type, but I have worn them for strenuous physical activities, and have only good things to say about them. I hope that helps.
    Lady Angellen, Bound Raven in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I am the Vampire Queen

I wear my hair in a tight bun on the back of my neck for biking, walking... or just about anything outdoors... It stays out of my way and doesn't fall down (wellll usually. haha)

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I leave it loose. My hair is too short to really do much other than a tiny bun/ponytail at the moment, and I wouldn't go outside like that because they look ridiculous on me. Also, even if that weren't so, I'd leave it loose anyway. I just prefer my hair loose, I guess. *shrug*

Type
    1b/F/ii

Last summer I found that my braid was too long to wear down while running, it tickled me just above my elbows and I'm pretty ticklish I've been testing different braided and looped up buns since that. This is what works best right now, a twice looped up braid with a large Ficcarissimo:

If anybody wants instructions, I have them written down.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Aisling, I would love to see instructions for that bun!

Type
    1b/F/ii

Stevy, I only have written down instructions. Copied from my blog:

Instructions for a looped, braided do (works for medium hair that's long'ish and a large Ficcare:
    • braid hair like normal in a single braid at the nape of your neck. Braid as long as possible, leaving a very short braid tassel. Secure with something as thin and easily hidden as possible.
    • put two fingers of your left hand right above the braid, fold the braid over the fingers towards your head, let the rest of the braid hang down on the left side
    • grab the braid with your right hand, bring it towards the right around/below the base of your braid and make another loop around the fingers sticking out from loop #1. Now the rest of the braid should hang down on the right side somewhere.
    • remove your left hand fingers from the loops, hold on to the loops with your right hand, grab the braid tassel with your left hand, pull it back towards the left around/below the base of your braid and wrap the remaining braid & tassel behind/under the loops, hide the ends wherever possible.
    • secure this do by flattening the loops towards your head and clipping them down with some kind of clip, for me a large Ficcarissimo is just perfect.

Length
    32/46/dunno
    Type
    1a/M/iii

My main exercise routine consists of ballet or swimming. And for ballet, it is always in a braided bun and for swimming, it's always in a braid as well. It just makes life easier (plus it's part of the ballet "dresscode", anyway). Bobby pins can be evil if not put in the right way, though.

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

My hair is BSL, and I'm doing a lot of sports outdoors (running and hiking, mainly). I always do a braided bun, held in place with four large claw-clips. On top of that I wear a bandana, for sunscreen and sweating reasons.

I am also right now having a sunhat made that will allow me to wear my braided bun (it will have an opening in the back).

I do own a buff, but that would be way too hot for me during anything that isn't winter.
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I used to train 10-14 times a week and always used either two braids (french or english) , or a three strand braided bun and a lycra headband both kept hair up and off face. When training between 10am-8pm I had to wear a hat to stop the sunburn (not a baseball hat, parents said they'd stop allowance) so perspired alot, but after a while I realised it wasn't actually much of a problem. If I just let my hair down and dry out and then gently brush it with a soft brush (as it was combed before putting it up there are no tangles.) Even when training this much I only had to wash my hair once every four to five days.

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

When dancing, I wear my hair in two braids, though I have hit myself in the eye when spinning

-- Natalie