1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Hairstyles for working out, exercising and sports

I use in a bun or ponytail with a hat.

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Sports up do

If it's a super intense cardio, I'll sport a firm side braid because that's never going to come undone until I'm finished whatever high energy activity. However, I don't really like how this looks on me lol so I tend to do it when I'm all alone And I can't rock tight buns because I get a very achey scalp.

If I'm just working out like normal, I'll wear a simple, loose but firm side bun (with a nicely clasping claw clip or two holding it together) so that the back of my head can head can touch surfaces like a yoga mat if I'm doing crunches for example. A pretty easy style to re-do as needed while on the go. I also find this look to be super adorable and put up my hair like this sometimes for 'just because' reasons as well It's so comfy too, and my hair looks fine when I un-do it, as opposed to the braid which personally leaves my hair in chaotic patterns.

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Lazy Wrap Bun and Nautilus Bun with a stick is rock solid and can endure an hour of cardio workout.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

I've started wearing a headscarf in the gym if I'm going to be doing anything where I'm lying on the floor/a bench. Gym surfaces can be pretty gross and I realized I don't want my hair on that unless I'm going to wash it right after (no)! I was using a towel for a while, but keeping track of the towel, and which side is down on the "dirty" gym floor or bench, and moving the towel between equipment, and making sure the towel is perfectly positioned, etc. was a bit of a pain. The scarf goes with me wherever I am, and is always under my head wherever I am (and it's easy to keep track of which side is "clean" because it's made of a knit fabric and one side is more smooth and the other a bit textured, which I figure also helps keep it on).

I've not yet figured out how to tie it well... so far it looks huge and ridiculous and I feel I look like Toad in Super Mario Bros (the mushroom-head guy), but that's okay because I'm almost always the only one in the gym when I go, so there's no one to see me.
    Last edited by Kat; December 4th, 2022 at 03:23 PM.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/HL/Class
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Most of the time in a bun with a fork.
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I merged this thread with a bigger one on the same subject.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: How do you wear your hair for exercising, hiking, other physical activity?

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Coronet braid, milk maid braids (pinned or taped) or an eternal roll. Everything else gets in the way for me when I exercise. The exception is swimming when I wear a bun on top of my head.

These are still some of my favorites.

For sports that require a helmet I prefer to braid together three or more braids and put them under a tichel.
    Last edited by TatsuOni; December 4th, 2022 at 08:21 AM.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

When I ride my bike I always wear either a slouchy beanie (that I crocheted myself) or a silky bandana to protect my hair from the friction of the bike helmet.

When I used to swim a lot, I would just wind my hair into a tight bun and secure with an hair tie and put a swim cap on and that worked fairly well. (Braids always come undone if I swim long enough, so they're a no-go for me.)

If I'm doing exercises that involve lying down (like situps), a high bun or braids is my go to so that my head can be flat against the floor.
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    MBL/MBL/WL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

A french braid is the only thing that's worked for me so far. Buns and ponytails fall out or tug, but the braid always endures (as long as you have a good hair tie - there's been a couple of times when my hair tie's fallen out on a run, but only because I was using one of those plastic spiral ones).

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL

Prefer a bun, usually the nautilus.
    Don't like the feeling of my hair "hitting" me, so can't really use ponytails or braids anymore as my hair's gotten too long for such styles
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc