Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: protein for hair only hides damage

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: protein for hair only hides damage

Quote Originally Posted by filip View Post
    I don't know much about the curly girl method, I just know that most people don't need protein unless they heat style their hair because all it is doing is adding a layer of protein to your hair or fills in the gaps (such as the claim that keratin amino acids are small enough to do this) I have my doubts though, probably just coats the hair. Also on top of that a lot of these protein treatment contain conditioning agents too, so they make the hair look better. I haven't studied protein treatments and opalex but I did some reading online and some people who have studied it, confirmed that most of these protein treatments just coat the hair and I've read it as stated fact that's impossible to add protein to the inner cortex of the hair. I think it's all just marketing stuff to hide damage, unless your hair is really damaged or you want hair that doesn't get frizzy in high humidity you most likely don't need anything like a protein treatment of any kind. I think going simpler is always better as you don't get build up on your hair which is not good for anyone.
    Indeed - and that's precisely what we want it to do, that's the whole purpose of it and why it is helpful in a situation where the hair's cuticles are damaged!

What Tatsu said here is perfect:

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    I just want to say that ingredients doesn't have to penetrate the hair to the core, to be beneficial. Coating the hair, yes even healthy hair, can help the hair to retain moisture and fatty acids and prevent it from drying out. And it can also protect the hair from outer damage, such as weather, wind and wear and tear.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    2"/TBL/???
    Type
    4c/F/iii

I do think there is an easy way, to avoid having people add things to your hair which make you feel uncomfortable. Simply don't let other people do your hair. But like others here, I highly doubt that the protein product did any damage to your hair.

If it's any consolation, I have hair strands that are almost spiderweb thin, and even my hair has tolerated considerable abuse over the years. Have a look at my hair on my profile, it's hard to see the individual strands. Your hair, which is much stronger than mine, will not fall apart because of a one-time protein conditioner treatment. I've had hair cholesterol added to my hair multiple times in the past (by other people), you can't get much more protein-loaded than that.

I understand your irritation because I don't use protein in my hair, and I wouldn't like it if someone did that to me either. But everything's going to be ok, I'm pretty sure of that.
    Started: 13/11/2014.Elapsed
    MBL :: WAIST :: abyss :: hip:: TBL :: class
    Lady Sarah of the Invisible Warlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by luxurioushair View Post
    I do think there is an easy way, to avoid having people add things to your hair which make you feel uncomfortable. Simply don't let other people do your hair. But like others here, I highly doubt that the protein product did any damage to your hair.

If it's any consolation, I have hair strands that are almost spiderweb thin, and even my hair has tolerated considerable abuse over the years. Have a look at my hair on my profile, it's hard to see the individual strands. Your hair, which is much stronger than mine, will not fall apart because of a one-time protein conditioner treatment. I've had hair cholesterol added to my hair multiple times in the past (by other people), you can't get much more protein-loaded than that.

I understand your irritation because I don't use protein in my hair, and I wouldn't like it if someone did that to me either. But everything's going to be ok, I'm pretty sure of that.
    I'm just worried my curls pattern is being weighed down i can show photos where my curls were really springy and all i ever used was shampoo and conditioner..... i'll give it a while....... i'm reassessing what products i use on my hair

The best thing I found my fine curls is sebum. I found that if I juse use less shampoo and put the shower pressure really low. Then add only a little conditioner to the ends. My curls look most defined and springy with just natural hair oils over anything else. Juse use less shampoo, low heat in the shower and turn the pressure. When I've done that in the past my curls came out more defined.

I'm angry at the hair stylist because the protein leave in conditioner with concentrated keratin amino acid formula may have weighed my hair down, and i don't know how it will be to get out, it just makes me paranoid. I'm annoyed at her cos why fix what is not broken... just because the hair looks dry doesn't mean it's damaged... the woman didn't understand curly hair... even hea;lthy curly hair can get frizzy and have less defined curls if your'e out in the wind or use too much conditioner or don't have enough natural oil and moisture in their head....... those are the main factors... adding protein treatment is not the remedy....

it's a balance between natural moisture in the hair and keeping it clean and not using too strong pressure or hot water... also soft water is better... these are the most important factors for defined curls .... in my experience for my very fine hair at least i can show pictures showing my curls looking pretty springy and i never used any protein treatment at all

The hair stylist was giving me some lecture about hair protein and moisture balance... the hair is protein it doesn't need anymore if it's not damaged... maybe it needs protein to hide damage... mine wasn't i never use heat... she jsut didn't have a clue.. she had pin straight hair herself... i just think a lot of people even people with curly hair don't really understand what it needs.... protein usually weighs it down i don't think they're necessary unless u have heart damage

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

You are generalizing quite a lot here, saying what a certain hairtype needs and not. You can only tell what your own hair needs. You can not know, what others need. Just cause someone have curls, they will not be able to care for their hair exactly the same way.

I had straight hair when I was younger and I could never follow the "standard protocol" for how to care for straight hair.

You say that the leave in she used, contained a lot of protein. The further down in the INCI an ingrdient comes, the less of that ingredient does it contain. Keratin was not that high up.

I sincerely and with best intentions believe that you are being a bit paranoid about nothing now. Worrying about something that has clearly already been washed out from your hair and messing unnecessary with it, will not make anything better.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

You are generalizing quite a lot here, saying what a certain hairtype needs and not. You can only tell what your own hair needs. You can not know, what others need. Just cause someone have curls, they will not be able to care for their hair exactly the same way.

I had straight hair when I was younger and I could never follow the "standard protocol" for how to care for straight hair.

You say that the leave in she used, contained a lot of protein. The further down in the INCI an ingrdient comes, the less of that ingredient does it contain. Keratin was not that high up.

I sincerely and with best intentions believe that you are being a bit paranoid about nothing now. Worrying about something that has clearly already been washed out from your hair and messing unnecessary with it, will not make anything better.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post

I'm paranoid because I have no idea what keratin amino acids in a leave in conditioner does to the hair, I'd like to see it under a microscope what it actually does and not just have to trust what they say.

I'm worried because the hair stylist doesn't understand that curly hair should be highly porous, it's meant too be so it can absorb moisture better from the air and water, sealing it off with hydrolysed keratin might be counter productive.

Until I can see what keratin amino acids in leave in conditioners actually do to the hair under a miscroscope and that they definitely wash out easily, I feel very worried about my hair.

If you put a barrier on curly hair it can't asorb moisture very well, my hair never had a problem retaining moisture because it wasn't damaged....

Straight hair that is highly porous is usually damaged so it's completely different.......... i think there is confusion highly porous curly hair is not damaged... most curly hair is highly porous that's why it should be to asorb moisture...

I can;t comment on about other people's curly hair, but I believe mine is meant to asorb moisture... and putting protrein on it is actually counter productive because it's reducing the hair's ability to do that making it more limp

I feel as though my hair is more limp despite washing the lengths with shampoo though it was sulphate free... it just feels different... it feels as though all my hair has become more limp now and i'm not happy about it, i'll give it a while and i do have a clarifying shampoo if need be... hair stylist assured me it would was hout but who is to say there are effects from highly concentrated keratin amino acids on hair that are long term even if very subtle... i notice little differences on my hair.... i
    Last edited by filip; May 1st, 2024 at 08:36 AM.

https://ibb.co/4W7PFFy here is one image where my curls were prettty springy a few years ago i have lots more recent ones... the hair was not damaged...... there was literally no reason to put protein on it never have done that and i achieved springy curls..... some days the hair is more limp due to weather or i the way i had washed it or whatever....... she just saw me on a windy day and my hair was really super long too and judged that there is some kind of problem when i never said there was

then when i complained ti her she was really rude and sarcastic to me

Hi,
    Use whatever you think suits your hair, you know what to use and do so keep doing what you do, it’s your hair!
    You don’t need any advice with anything as you already know how to do it. It’s perfect with what you already do so why change it!

Keep in mind I only ever asked for a hair cut not any advice and i never even expressed troubles with curls or anything

ME

Kerashield is a smoothing leave in conditioner, I never once complained about frizz. It was never my goal. You can check the link it even says it is even described as removing unwanted curls https://www.amazon.co.uk/KeraShield-.../dp/B00403LSYU it can be used on curls to loosen them not tighten.

Product description
    Effect - Strong moisture binding, highly-concentrated leave-in conditioner for permed, coloured and dry hair. Anti-static effect with anti-Velcro, closes the cuticles, protects against hair dryer heat, sun and all other influences from the outside. Prevents unwanted curls.

HER
    I know what kerashield is, I have trained in it! I have over 25 yrs of experience in my industry! I know what is and isn’t good! It does not straighten the hair! It helps feed the hair you have 18 amino acids in your hair structure! Kerashield is not a treatment or a long term smoother or straightener that is a completely different product. Kerashield washes out and there is no long term affect with it! There will be no damage done to your hair.

DIdn't send this to her but my thoughts:
    Where does it say it's for curly hair, why would you pretend to be a curly hair expert and put this on curly hair and not a product that is specifically designed for curly hair... it even says prevents unwanted curls lol I know the CGM does advocate protein treatments. Yet t his product clearly states that its meant for dry damaged and coloured hair.. while you could argue it may share some of the same ingredients as protein leave ins designed for curly hair ......... i don't even think it does actually and my hair was not damaged... there was no need for this leave in at all.... she just has no clue

You can't feed hair and I sent her link saying as much, protein does not reach the inner cortex and feed it like she is saying... it just fills in gaps or leaves a layer at best..... i'm not even sure it really fills in gaps... i haven't seen microscopic evidence... how can i know anything for sure without looking at evidence??... i don't really know what it does but i know it can't magically repair hair from inside out and feed it like she described... that's impossible

Here is another photo of my curls looking fine and i've never used a protein mask https://ibb.co/NK4Thyf

she didn';t use a mask but she was saying that protein masks are good for curly hair... i believe some form of hydrolyzed protein is in the leave in i use in small quantities but i don't even always use it and my curls came out fine https://ibb.co/NK4Thyf like here it's just bs.... she fed me a load of bs and i can't see enough reviews or information about this highly concentrated leave in she used... so it makes me worry a lot most people that have used it have straight hair......... plsu it doesn't help that on the amazon page it literally says preventes unwanted curls!

My hair wasn't damaged why would it need to be fed proteins that it is already made from??? i know it's not damaged since other professionals have told me so and i never use heat. It's at least not noticeably damaged. THese people wind me the hell up she is a hair professional but believes in mysticism and doesn't really understand about hair science properly. She's a stylist not a trichologist. You can't feed hair protein, you can't do that it's just nonsense. It's not like my hair is lakcing protein, it is keratin. It would only be damaged or not damaged.. and it wasn't damaged. If she wanted to help my hair and was professional she just would of used a defining cream after cutting it or something.

Sorry I know what has been done has been done, but these people just wind me up. It's not hard to see through the crap. THey just don't understand their own craft properly. It just pains me that she doesn't at least use products that are properly approved by the CGM and then claims to be an expert on it. A method that has not been backed up by science and be debunked by some too.
    Last edited by filip; May 1st, 2024 at 09:27 AM.

My hair wasn't damaged why would it need to be fed proteins that it is already made from??? i know it's not damaged since other professionals have told me so and i never use heat. It's at least not noticeably damaged. THese people wind me the hell up she is a hair professional but believes in mysticism and doesn't really understand about hair science properly. She's a stylist not a trichologist. You can't feed hair protein, you can't do that it's just nonsense. It's not like my hair is lakcing protein, it is keratin. It would only be damaged or not damaged.. and it wasn't damaged. If she wanted to help my hair and was professional she just would of used a defining cream after cutting it or something.

Sorry I know what has been done has been done, but these people just wind me up. It's not hard to see through the crap. THey just don't understand their own craft properly. It just pains me that she doesn't at least use products that are properly approved by the CGM and then claims to be an expert on it. A method that has not been backed up by science and be debunked by some too.
    Last edited by filip; May 1st, 2024 at 09:26 AM.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

You have expressed that you don't know how to wash it out. That is the only thing I am hearing that is an actually step we can take forward.

You don't like that she put it in your hair. We cannot change that. But we can wash it out. Many of us have explained how to do that very thing. If you want to ensure you have gotten out all of the product- use a deep cleaning shampoo. There is nothing else we can do right now.

I don't think the product can damage your hair, at all. I have hair in my drain I wish would dissolve that easy!
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶W̶L̶!̶!̶ ....on to hip?