Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: protein for hair only hides damage

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: protein for hair only hides damage

Quote Originally Posted by filip View Post
    I don't know much about the curly girl method, I just know that most people don't need protein unless they heat style their hair because all it is doing is adding a layer of protein to your hair or fills in the gaps (such as the claim that keratin amino acids are small enough to do this) I have my doubts though, probably just coats the hair. Also on top of that a lot of these protein treatment contain conditioning agents too, so they make the hair look better. I haven't studied protein treatments and opalex but I did some reading online and some people who have studied it, confirmed that most of these protein treatments just coat the hair and I've read it as stated fact that's impossible to add protein to the inner cortex of the hair. I think it's all just marketing stuff to hide damage, unless your hair is really damaged or you want hair that doesn't get frizzy in high humidity you most likely don't need anything like a protein treatment of any kind. I think going simpler is always better as you don't get build up on your hair which is not good for anyone.
    Silikones also coats the hair. Some peole have very unruly hair without it, despite there being no damage. While I am the opposite.

There's no need to damn an ingredient just because of someones claim, your own thoughts and experience. It can still be benefical for someone else. The best way to find out what your hair likes and not, is to try different things. I've spent years experimenting with my hair, to find the best routine for me. I assure you that you can find articles on the internet talking smack, about some of the things I do. It still works for me and I'm still expecting that I will try more things in the future, because it's fun and because I can find other things that my hair likes. If it doesn't like it, it's fine and no permanent damage will be done, unless I would experiment with bleach and such. But my bleaching and heating days are long gone.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

I shampooed the lengths of my hair yesterday with palmers olive oil shampoo which is a pretty gentle shampoo i think, sulphate free, It made me nervous doing that as I never do that usually. I was just paranoid about the amino acids being on here. I know I was probably overreacting but I wasn't even sure at that time if she had used a hair mask or a leave in, she since told me it was only a leave in she says pea sized amount but that could a be a lie. I might be overreacting but I'm used to being in control of my hair, for many years I have been then suddenly someone puts something I would never put on my hair on my own and it has ingredients I associate with straightening which is the opposite to m goal of achieving tighter curls. I don't want to loosen them. that product seems very much like a loosening product. We were going back and forth by email yesterday and she was shouting at me, telling me it will just wash out and she has been doing this for 25 years it will do nothing, ok maybe I am overreacting... maybe but the fact is that product didn't do any good for my hair goals I know that much and it gave me so much anxiety so I have right to be upset. I wish I had spoke up but I haven't thought about keratin in so long I forgot the affect it has on the hair and it just hit me much later. I am now more concerned if I damaged my own hair my shampooing the ends although I guess that's unlikely, since I did that yesterday I might wait on using the clarifying shampoo because I don't want to be harsh on my hair.

Hopefully I'll get a day where I'm happy with the way my curls look and I can breathe a sigh of relief, but it's just the anxiety of not having that day yet and the worry that the leave in did something permanent. I know it sounds stupid but thinks like keratin amino acids seem scary to me as I don't think the affects they have on hair are well tested, especially the affects they have on curl patterns. That product is primarily for straight hair people who want silkier hair I know it, that's why it's so damn annoying. If she used like curl defining cream or something I wouldn't have this anxiety. It's not even marketing towards curly hair at all I looked it up. On one amazon listing it even is described as getting rid of "unwanted curls" I showed her this and she started shouting at me via email saying I've used it for so many years and it will wash out it won't do anything. It will wash out but who knows what those aminoacids really do to their hair if they can be washed out or not... it's just all very ambiguous, I know I'm probably worrying too much but my curls just felt better before I went in there. It was Wednesday that I went there so I'll try and calm and give it some time. Not much I can do, my hair is not that bad but I just want it to look it's best as it has done in the past. I may get another few inches off to see if that helps bounce up my curls again. But yeah, having curly hair can be really annoying sometimes especially when people do things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Silikones also coats the hair. Some peole have very unruly hair without it, despite there being no damage. While I am the opposite.

There's no need to damn an ingredient just because of someones claim, your own thoughts and experience. It can still be benefical for someone else. The best way to find out what your hair likes and not, is to try different things. I've spent years experimenting with my hair, to find the best routine for me. I assure you that you can find articles on the internet talking smack, about some of the things I do. It still works for me and I'm still expecting that I will try more things in the future, because it's fun and because I can find other things that my hair likes. If it doesn't like it, it's fine and no permanent damage will be done, unless I would experiment with bleach and such. But my bleaching and heating days are long gone.
    Yes I appreciate that what is bad for me might be good for some. I'm not damning it completely. I think protein treatments are best for people with relaxed hair probably, who want to keep it looking shiny same with silicones, I think probably they both have a similar anti frizz effect. People who get keratin treatment often have heat damaged hair so in their case I can see how it's possible adding layers of protein reinforces the hair in a way. I don't think it's healthy though and I would never do it myself. I think keratin treatments are terrible for the hair, yet if you want a certain look you do what you gotta do i guess.
    Last edited by filip; April 29th, 2024 at 08:27 AM.

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

the palmers olive oil leave in that you said you're using also has hydrolyzed keratin in the ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by evernia View Post
    the palmers olive oil leave in that you said you're using also has hydrolyzed keratin in the ingredients
    Ok thanks for pointing it out, I don't always use it. I do sometimes though. Hmm maybe I should stop using it. I never really looked into it as the palmers olive oil shampoo is used by a lot of curly hair people who claim it's been really good for their curls. it's kind of marketed towards curly hair people too. I think it's probably a very small amount if it is in there, it does worry me now, I over looked that. Thank you for bringing to my attention.
    Last edited by filip; April 29th, 2024 at 08:37 AM.

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

the palmers one has hydrolyzed keratin as well as silk amino acids in it, and you said you have no problems with it. i don't think those are alarming tbh, just normal water soluble proteins you'll find in a lot of products. it seems unlikely that you've been using an ingredient without problems and then suddenly the same thing changes your hair irreversibly

I really need to reassess what shampoo and conditioner to use... the palmers one has worked well in the past. I had a friend though that said they wouldn't put it on their due to all the chemicals even though it's suphate, parabens and mineral oil free. I am also concerned about. It just has made my hair look good in the past, however saying that I always avoided using the leave in if I could because it kind of weighs it down, I only use it when I really need it to detangle my hair and am having difficulty without it.

I also read an interesting article about how some of the chemicals in shampoos can give you cancer https://www.genesiscareer.edu/8-ingr...%20to%20cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by evernia View Post
    the palmers one has hydrolyzed keratin as well as silk amino acids in it, and you said you have no problems with it. i don't think those are alarming tbh, just normal water soluble proteins you'll find in a lot of products. it seems unlikely that you've been using an ingredient without problems and then suddenly the same thing changes your hair irreversibly
    That's funny though haha, you got me! I guess it's also a control thing. Having someone put something in my hair without it being choice and also branding too. As I've said the palmers olive oil set is definitely used by a lot of curly haired people. Could also be used in a lesser amount it seems there is a lot in the palmers one. I have honestly been contemplating not using it though I have another leave in john frieda one for curls that my mum gave me, it's also a drug store one though haven't checked the ingredients on that yet. I have been contemplating looking for a new shampoo and conditioner I sometimes use living proof fullness shampoo for more volume... I tried using this brand called Only Curls, which only uses natural ingredients completely yet I found my curls were more defined with palmers maybe I should give it another chance though.
    Last edited by filip; April 29th, 2024 at 08:52 AM.

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

(don't forget dihydrogen monoxide, it's in large quantities in most cosmetics and it was found that everyone who gets cancer was exposed to it)