Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: protein for hair only hides damage

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

Default Re: protein for hair only hides damage

Chiming in to say that hair IS keratin. Adding keratin to keratin should be perfectly safe. Curly headed folks on youtube do protein treatments all the time, especially after using heat to help restore the curl pattern if it was loosened.

Keratin Smoothing Treatments, however, can absolutely destroy your curls and should be avoided if you're concerned about the integrity of your hair. They often have harsh chemicals linked to cancer, and require excessive amounts of heat to set in place.

As long as you've only experienced the first and not the second, your curls should be safe. The best thing to do would be to get a nice clarifying shampoo, thoroughly wash your hair, and then follow up with a very good deep conditioner. That should reset your curls back to normal.

Either way, no matter what the product was, if you didn't want it in your hair, it wasn't great of the stylist to push it on you, and I'm sorry you had this unpleasant experience.
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Quote Originally Posted by ETJ CURLS View Post
    Chiming in to say that hair IS keratin. Adding keratin to keratin should be perfectly safe. Curly headed folks on youtube do protein treatments all the time, especially after using heat to help restore the curl pattern if it was loosened.

Keratin Smoothing Treatments, however, can absolutely destroy your curls and should be avoided if you're concerned about the integrity of your hair. They often have harsh chemicals linked to cancer, and require excessive amounts of heat to set in place.

As long as you've only experienced the first and not the second, your curls should be safe. The best thing to do would be to get a nice clarifying shampoo, thoroughly wash your hair, and then follow up with a very good deep conditioner. That should reset your curls back to normal.

Either way, no matter what the product was, if you didn't want it in your hair, it wasn't great of the stylist to push it on you, and I'm sorry you had this unpleasant experience.
    Hi thanks for your response. Yeah I know hair is mostly keratin and moisture, yet I didn't want it on my hair because I have fine hair and I felt like it weighed it down. I don't understand fully what keratin aminoacids do to the hair as I haven't seen any studies. I guess they don't do anything damaging since it's just KERATIN on KERATIN. The claim is they fill in gaps in the hair or coat the hair in a layer like silicones.

I guess I am worrying about nothing since it will more than likely wash out or I can use a clarifying shampoo. Aminoacid and hydrolized (i think they're the same thing) formulas seem weird to me, however I'm a hypocrite because they're in other leave ins that I've been using. I guess I might be just worrying about nothing and overthinking it. I'd like to know if it's actually true that aminoacids and hydolyzed proteins actually fill in the hair or just COAT the hair in stuff weighing it down causing excess build up. Would like to see actual studies as it seems to me it's just corporate sponsored science and data.

I understand that keratin can't harm keratin, hair is already keratin but it can coat it causing it to be weighed down.

I found this post interesting https://www.instagram.com/sciencemee...p/CYWkUaOISBU/ I personally think most people don't need to do protein treatments.

The whole event just made me think about protein treatments in general and then I find my thoughts being echoed by a dr who studies it, which you can see in the instagram post that I've shared.

I don't use any heat on my hair so I can't for the life of me think of any reason why I would need any kind of protein on my hair, that's why I want to avoid it from now on completely.
    Last edited by filip; April 29th, 2024 at 11:30 AM.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

If you are worried that the product is still coating your hair, I would suggest a deep cleaning shampoo, like one that contains sulfates. You keep talking about using mild cleaners, and I can understand the fear, but if you really are worried there is still a coating on your hair, the best way to remove it is using a Clarifying Shampoo. If that worries you, look for a Clarifying Shampoo with a low pH range (below 5.5) which is optimal for the hair. Your hair will return to normal. I have plenty of times weighed down my curls, and I sometimes even do it on purpose! It will wash out.

I am sorry you felt pressured to use the product. If you decide to get your hair done professionally again, I would suggest advocating for yourself during the consultation. Practice talking out loud and saying your limitations, like "I want ___ inches cut off. I'm okay with styling, but please no gels/keratin/whatever"
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶W̶L̶!̶!̶ ....on to hip?

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I just want to say that ingredients doesn't have to penetrate the hair to the core, to be beneficial. Coating the hair, yes even healthy hair, can help the hair to retain moisture and fatty acids and prevent it from drying out. And it can also protect the hair from outer damage, such as weather, wind and wear and tear.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    I just want to say that ingredients doesn't have to penetrate the hair to the core, to be beneficial. Coating the hair, yes even healthy hair, can help the hair to retain moisture and fatty acids and prevent it from drying out. And it can also protect the hair from outer damage, such as weather, wind and wear and tear.
    THIS! This is why I personally love silicones. They provide an extra coating that prevents damage. Since they DONT generate the hair shaft, there's really little to worry about
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶W̶L̶!̶!̶ ....on to hip?

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemi View Post
    THIS! This is why I personally love silicones. They provide an extra coating that prevents damage. Since they DONT generate the hair shaft, there's really little to worry about
    My hair doesn't like silicones, but I still coat it in other things such as protein and wax from rice water and different types of fats. Also the wax from henna, will coat the hair for some time. I also use my conditioner bar as a leave in and I'm sure that part of why my hair loves that, is because of some protective coating.

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    My hair doesn't like silicones, but I still coat it in other things such as protein and wax from rice water and different types of fats. Also the wax from henna, will coat the hair for some time. I also use my conditioner bar as a leave in and I'm sure that part of why my hair loves that, is because of some protective coating.
    Everyone has different ingredients that work for them. Protein gets along with my hair too! I had never thought about the wax of henna - that makes sense too. I just recently started using henna on the underlayer of my hair and I have noticed it's extra shiny.
    Silicones may be heavy for some peoples hair, and just disagreeable with others. I tried to follow the CGM for close to a year, and I found my hair definitely benefits from that thicker protective layer
    I'm so interested in Conditioner bars! I'm trying to get through some products first to make room for new ones if needed

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemi View Post
    Everyone has different ingredients that work for them. Protein gets along with my hair too! I had never thought about the wax of henna - that makes sense too. I just recently started using henna on the underlayer of my hair and I have noticed it's extra shiny.
    Silicones may be heavy for some peoples hair, and just disagreeable with others. I tried to follow the CGM for close to a year, and I found my hair definitely benefits from that thicker protective layer
    I'm so interested in Conditioner bars! I'm trying to get through some products first to make room for new ones if needed
    That's why there's kind of a need for everyone to experiment a bit, during their life, to find out what works best for their own hair. I personally likes to experiment.

If you decide to try a conditioner bar I can highly reccomend the one from NightBlooming. A conditioner bar, is the only way, that I can afford to put conditioner in my hair. With liquid conditioner I needed half a bottle with every wash. Kid you not! My hair is a hungry beast! The bar lasts forever.

Length
    17.5/26/27
    Type
    4a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by filip View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/curlyhair/c...e_made_a_huge/ This supports my theory that protein is utterly pointless for all hair types.... it's only for masking damage... why would it be bad for curly hair and good for straight..... i think this is evidence, you can see clearly how the protein is just weighing it all down and messing with the curl pattern.
    This isn't a scientific study, but one person's subjective experience with two sets of products that change WAY more variables than just protein or no protein. It doesn't support any theory about ALL curls because everyone's hair is different.

This person was using Shea Moisture (which uses the key ingredient shea butter and often many other heavy oils) and switched to Suave. As far as I know, Suave makes much lighter products not as heavy as Shea Moisture. It could simply be reducing / removing heavy butters that sprung up OPs hair. It could've been weighed down by ANY ingredient in the formula, not just protein. It could've been that the Suave shampoo was stronger and removed more buildup than the prior shampoo. Too many variables.

The only way anyone could say for absolute certain that protein was the cause of their issue was if they used the same product and added some protein filler to it. Then nothing changes but the addition of protein. Otherwise, we're only ever guessing.

All ingredients are scary when we don't know what they do or if they actually help us. But demonizing certain ingredients and blaming all our problems on them helps no one. I don't really use protein in my routine, so this is not some defence out of love for it or anything. Just noting it's absolutely not objectively bad for all curls.

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by evernia View Post
    (don't forget dihydrogen monoxide, it's in large quantities in most cosmetics and it was found that everyone who gets cancer was exposed to it)
    Hehehe
    Very good