Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: - Is it ok for me to use the word "nappy" in a positive way ?

Default Re: - Is it ok for me to use the word "nappy" in a positive way ?

Quote Originally Posted by lacefrost View Post
    I prefer coily, tightly curled and hypercurly.

I prefer hypercurly because if I were to say to someone on the internet that my hair is "very curly" they think it's wavy. I've had my hair in an afro and said, "my hair is very curly," and a woman with 2c hair responded, "me too." It just makes me sigh.

I don't like "afro-textured" because there's no such thing. There are people of African descent with hair in the 2cs and 3a/3b. There are people of Caucasian descent with hair in the 4s or whose hair afros.

I also wouldn't use "afro-textured" in terms of "their hair turns into an afro." Because there are people with hair in the 4s that doesn't turn into an afro, it forms perfect ringlets. Like so: http://tomboylovesmakeup.tumblr.com/...ural-hair-pics My hair is hypercurly like hers but it will never do that. My hair afros, hers doesn't.
    Afro is derivative of African. As in Afro-centric or Afro-Caribbean, so there clearly is such a thing, in that it is a commonly used expression. Certainly Afro-Caribbean is commonly used in the UK as I understand that Afro-centric is a known expression in the States. That there are exceptions does not invalidate the expression. The word Afro was in use before the hair style although it did come to be used as the name of a style much as the same style was often called a "Natural" in the States.

The description "Afro hair", has been in use far longer than the "type-4" expression.

Unicorn

Length
    SL+/BSL-/HIP!
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

In England, nappy also means diaper, but I wouldn't use it to refer to hair. It's offensive in my eyes.

(Stretched) - Shoulder+. Armpit.BSL!. MidbackWaist. HIP!
    (Curly) - Shoulder+. Armpit. BSL. Midback. Waist. HIP!

Length
    12/29.5/31
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    Afro is derivative of African. As in Afro-centric or Afro-Caribbean, so there clearly is such a thing, in that it is a commonly used expression. Certainly Afro-Caribbean is commonly used in the UK as I understand that Afro-centric is a known expression in the States. That there are exceptions does not invalidate the expression. The word Afro was in use before the hair style although it did come to be used as the name of a style much as the same style was often called a "Natural" in the States.

The description "Afro hair", has been in use far longer than the "type-4" expression.

Unicorn
    Yep, this. "Afro" can refer to a hairstyle but it generally (in the UK at least) is just a shortening for "African".

Along the same lines as "Afro-Caribbean" I am seeing increasing use of the term "Afro-European", especially in SE London where I used to live.
    Avatar picture taken on the 1st May 2012, length=17".

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Interesting question OP, since I was wondering the same thing.

Around where I am currently living, there are lots of people with 4 textured hair that are also very white. So even "Afro-hair" would be inaccurate.

"Ethnic" hair doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, since it's a relative term. Around here, having 4 hair doesn't make you "ethnic" in any way since it is quite "local".

4-type hair comes with a variety of skin colors and geographic origins, so there has to be some descriptive that is not related to what we conventionally consider "race".
    Shoulder>>>APL >>> BSL >>> WAIST

Length
    APL19/WSL28/HIP32
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

Unicorn
    I know. What I'm saying is that not only is there no such thing as Afro/African type hair (because there are people of African descent, or just plain African with hair in the 2s) but that it also shouldn't be applied to people's hair on the basis of it fitting a style.

When someone say "afro-textured hair" I have no idea what to picture. It could be fine loose 3b curls. It could 4b coils. I'm not sure what to think. It's much the same as someone saying someone has "white girl hair." I'm not sure what I should be picturing. Straight? Very curly? Wavy?

Quote Originally Posted by alyanna
    Around where I am currently living, there are lots of people with 4 textured hair that are also very white. So even "Afro-hair" would be inaccurate.

"Ethnic" hair doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, since it's a relative term. Around here, having 4 hair doesn't make you "ethnic" in any way since it is quite "local".

4-type hair comes with a variety of skin colors and geographic origins, so there has to be some descriptive that is not related to what we conventionally consider "race".
    Yes, this is what I was trying to say. "Afro-textured" is an expression without a strongly concrete meaning. It's too vague for me.
    Last edited by lacefrost; September 10th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.

CURRENTLY: waist straight (28") GOAL: waist braidwaves (35")

When someone say says, 'person', I picture a human with two arms, legs, eyes & ears a nose, mouth, eyelashes and hair on their head, standing upright. Now there are huge numbers of people for whom any one or more of these descriptions would be invalid, that doesn't make the concept or use of the word invalid.

I can only reiterate the word 'Afro' isn't based on a hair style, so the ability to create an "Afro style" is irrelevant to the description. Afro, based on 'derivative of Africa' indicates to me that it is something/hair that is notably/visibly like something one would associate with African. If someone with 'Afro hair' happens to be white I see no reason the descriptor is a problem, 'Afro is a broad brush, just as the term 'black' is a broad brush when applied to people, as is the term 'white'. But both are valid none the less as communication tools.

Unicorn
    Last edited by Unicorn; September 10th, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

Length
    18/18/30?
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I use "kinky" meaning that it kinks or tangels easily but that gets me strange looks when I say "my hair is sometimes kinky".

Length
    APL19/WSL28/HIP32
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

When someone say says, 'person', I picture a human with two arms, legs, eyes & ears a nose, mouth, eyelashes and hair on their head, standing upright. Now there are huge numbers of people for whom any one or more of these descriptions would be invalid, that doesn't make the concept or use of the word invalid.

I can only reiterate the word 'Afro' isn't based on a hair style, so the ability to create an "Afro style" is irrelevant to the description. Afro, based on 'derivative of Africa' indicates to me that it is something/hair that is notably/visibly like something one would associate with African. If someone with 'Afro hair' happens to be white I see no reason the descriptor is a problem, 'Afro is a broad brush, just as the term 'black' is a broad brush when applied to people, as is the term 'white'. But both are valid none the less as communication tools.

Unicorn
    I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying "afro textured" is an invalid phrase. It is just a phrase that lacks concreteness to me. "Derivative of Africa" also lacks concreteness for me. Africa is a huge continent with many people with different hair textures. For me, saying "Afro textured hair" is like saying "Irish colored hair." It suggests that those in Africa or of African descent all have the same or similar hair type: tightly curly fine hair. But that is not so. Just as not all Irish are redheads. I understand that those may be some connotative meanings but those connotative meanings are not very accurate and generalize a wealth of diversity.

If "afro-textured" is a phrase that works for many people, then that's fine. I'm not going to tell anybody no. I just prefer not to use it myself because it holds no inherent meaning. I prefer using words like "curly" and "coily" or "fine" and "coarse" because they hold a strongly concrete meaning.

CURRENTLY: waist straight (28") GOAL: waist braidwaves (35")

Length
    NL/WL/HL
    Type
    4b/M/iii

I always use afro-textured to mean that the hair is in the shape of an afro. That's why I use it to describe my hair--it's an afro! lol. I never really considered that it could be a shortening of afro-american as in describing a person.

As stated Afro is a broad brush, pretty much any description of humans will be abroad brush, I don't see how 'Afro' or "derivative of African" is any different.

Of course each individual can use whatever expression they wish, but to claim the expression as invalid, implies an object declaration that it clearly isn't.

Unicorn
    Last edited by Unicorn; September 12th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.