Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Adult 18+

Default Re: Adult 18+

Yep, we used to have a thread full of TMI and it was taken down. I seriously never laughed so much in my life like I did on that thread. Guess it's up to the mods on whether or not to make an 18+ board but it would be nice.
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by princessp View Post
    Disclosure: I don't have kids so my opinion is worth squat, lol! But the other side to this is LHC has the highest concentration of intellectual fair-minded people I have found on the internet (hands down). So if kids are reading these kinds of threads here at least they are getting open-minded opinions and thoughtful ideas on the various topics, so I'd say that's a good thing. The reality is they will read/hear about it somewhere (and maybe they already have). Seriously, if I had LHC as a kid I would have avoided a lot of heartache and bad decision making (even if I simply listened to a fraction of the "social" information here).

Statistically 15 is the "magic age" where kids start to become sexually active (lower income areas indicate as low as 12 years old). Anyway, consequently kids have questions about their bodies (and other people's bodies). They have questions about gender roles and fitting in and getting along with people and gripes about their parents etc. I have never seen any thread here where the OP just got one kinds of advice. So if kids are reading these threads they are getting lots and lots of viewpoints and information. LHC is very diverse in that way.

But I get what you are saying and it is a good reminder that we have all ages here. So overall an 18+ board sounds good for the more controversial stuff. But I would hope it would not prevent the young ones from the collective applicable wisdom here (especially age appropriate things Mom/Dad don't feel comfortable talking about).
    I agree with all of this.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I do have kids, two sons who grew up on the net. LHC is mild compared to what they can find anywhere else. Kids can find racier stuff on their school computers, even with most of the worst sites blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by princessp View Post
    Disclosure: I don't have kids so my opinion is worth squat, lol! But the other side to this is LHC has the highest concentration of intellectual fair-minded people I have found on the internet (hands down). So if kids are reading these kinds of threads here at least they are getting open-minded opinions and thoughtful ideas on the various topics, so I'd say that's a good thing. The reality is they will read/hear about it somewhere (and maybe they already have). Seriously, if I had LHC as a kid I would have avoided a lot of heartache and bad decision making (even if I simply listened to a fraction of the "social" information here).

Statistically 15 is the "magic age" where kids start to become sexually active (lower income areas indicate as low as 12 years old). Anyway, consequently kids have questions about their bodies (and other people's bodies). They have questions about gender roles and fitting in and getting along with people and gripes about their parents etc. I have never seen any thread here where the OP just got one kinds of advice. So if kids are reading these threads they are getting lots and lots of viewpoints and information. LHC is very diverse in that way.

But I get what you are saying and it is a good reminder that we have all ages here. So overall an 18+ board sounds good for the more controversial stuff. But I would hope it would not prevent the young ones from the collective applicable wisdom here (especially age appropriate things Mom/Dad don't feel comfortable talking about).
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ravenreed View Post
    I do have kids, two sons who grew up on the net. LHC is mild compared to what they can find anywhere else. Kids can find racier stuff on their school computers, even with most of the worst sites blocked.
    This is true too.

And for anyone who thinks the school (or other) computers are "safe"...kids know how to get around the blocks.

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

All I know, my feelings now are so different about this place than it was , oh say even a year ago. And I know that I would not suggest to any of my daughters to let their children visit here. Which is sad, because three of my four grand daughters all have super long hair for little girls. I know that once they become older and more computer savvy they will start looking for make-up and hair forums. I don't think I'll recommend this particular forum. The Beauty Bottle? Yes, that one is a definite. But this forum is making me feel sad. I still love all the friends I've made here, but it's becoming more and more difficult to relax when I come here. *Maybe it's just me* Being an old lady, is all. LOL
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Well, considering that I recall being reminded that LHC is a PG-13 place, I do agree that some recent (and not so recent) threads have been really close (if not) crossing that line.

I would love to have a private 18+ TMI board.

I would also love to have some of the newer members be reminded of the forum rules, as well as have a little more respect when an older member steps in to remind them of them. I feel like it's getting to be a noob vs. old fogey in some of the heated threads. We're the old fogeys for a reason

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    Well, considering that I recall being reminded that LHC is a PG-13 place, I do agree that some recent (and not so recent) threads have been really close (if not) crossing that line.

I would love to have a private 18+ TMI board.

I would also love to have some of the newer members be reminded of the forum rules, as well as have a little more respect when an older member steps in to remind them of them. I feel like it's getting to be a noob vs. old fogey in some of the heated threads. We're the old fogeys for a reason

Thank you manderly, you just said what has been on my mind for months. And just for the record, ain't nobody gonna run us off. I kinda think that some of the newer members feel that when they've reached 100 posts they are considered 'vested' in this forum and that they can post just whatever they want to on here. While the rest of us are using extreme caution. Except sometimes I teeter on the edge of Snark-ville. I don't want to NOT visit the other boards . And that's what it boils down to. *climbs off soap box* I'm going to go
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Type
    2a/C/iii

Another old fogie here.

I felt the same way about those threads. I like keeping a PG-13 rating on this board.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    less/long/more
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    Didn't we used to have a board like that sometime in the distant past?
    Yes, we did. Long, long ago when I first moderated here. It was hard work for the mods and attracted people with 'other' interests. Stephanie decided to take it down.
    "All of life is a foreign country" (Jack Kerouac, 1949).
    "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." (Albert Einstein)

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    I remember this too...

The main issue I have been noticing now isn't the 'adult' nature of the threads...it's the inflammatory nature of the threads! It seems like a lot of threads have been blowing up lately, and I'm not sure why. It's so different and makes me sad to see a normally great group of people with differing opinions tearing at each other. Really makes me have second thoughts about this place.