Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: damage=more waves/curls?

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

My damaged parts are drier and frizzer where my healthy parts (mainly the underneath) goes into thick spirals. So I'm the opposite.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

My take on this would be wait and see, it probably doesn't have the same amounts of wave but at least it's nice and healthy. I'm growing virgin hair too, but I can't tell what it'll be like because my hair won't make waves before it reaches a sertain lenght, it varies by the parts of my head, so I can't yet tell what it'll be like. On a positive note, isn't it exiting just waiting and watching what's going to grow out of your head?

Anyone want a scientic answer? Well I'm telling anyways. The pronounced curliness or lack of curls (on naturally curly people) after chemical treatment or continuos exposion to heat is most likely due to damage caused to the hair's keratin ( as we all know..) In particular to the disulfide bonds, which form the hair patter, curly wavy etc. Basicly chemical damage breaks these bonds which enables the hair from returning to it's original pattern, and it re-establishes to a different shape. Oh and the lack of moisture in the hair contributes to its different pattern too, because it affects the hairs' elasticity.
    Okay, I'll be quiet now.

Oh and Áine, that made perfect sense to me.
    Last edited by savi; March 14th, 2008 at 02:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    Lady Illmater Mother of Väinämöinen in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by savi View Post
    My take on this would be wait and see, it probably doesn't have the same amounts of wave but at least it's nice and healthy. I'm growing virgin hair too, but I can't tell what it'll be like because my hair won't make waves before it reaches a sertain lenght, it varies by the parts of my head, so I can't yet tell what it'll be like. On a positive note, isn't it exiting just waiting and watching what's going to grow out of your head?

Anyone want a scientic answer? Well I'm telling anyways. The pronounced curliness or lack of curls (on naturally curly people) after chemical treatment or continuos exposion to heat is most likely due to damage caused to the hair's keratin ( as we all know..) In particular to the disulfide bonds, which form the hair patter, curly wavy etc. Basicly chemical damage breaks these bonds which enables the hair from returning to it's original pattern, and it re-establishes to a different shape. Oh and the lack of moisture in the hair contributes to its different pattern too, because it affects the hairs' elasticity.
    Okay, I'll be quiet now.

Don't be quiet! I love reading your scientific answers! I don't always understand them but I like reading them anyway

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

mine was the opposite of most, when i was coloring/bleaching any kind of chemical process would make my hair go flat and straight, since going virgin i have nice spiral curls coming back in
    and as for the bottem layers i agree they are a lot curlier then the top
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Capaciously Curly redcelticcurls's Avatar
    Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by savi View Post

Okay, I'll be quiet now.

That makes sense. I am less curly for about 5 days after a color before it pops back up.

My hair gets curlier with better treatment.
    Coarse, porous curly. User of conventional dye and conventional products.
    Lady Coventina of the Sacred Spring in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I... I seem to remember my virgin hair being more 3a...maybe even with some 2c waves... But it's been ten years since I've seen it and I didn't know how to make my hair be anything but a frizzball until after I started coloring...

After bleaching, my hair flattens out and refuses to curl. Instead, it frizzes like mad and makes 1c/2a waves. I've never noticed a texture difference immediately after a semi/demi/permanent chemical dye. I just went looking at Fia's visual hairtyping system and found that I'm pretty firmly in the 3b/c category. Some days there's a bit of 3a in there, but rarely.

I'm currently trying to figure out whether to continue trying for length, chop, or maintain until the damage is gone. We'll see. If I can get to 27" I'll maintain there I think. No matter the means, the end goal is henna only hair from roots(ish) to ends (and TBL dry). Then we'll see what my -real- texture is.... in a year or two... **crosses fingers and hopes for the 2c/3a hair she's always dreamed of having**
    3b/c - F/M - ii
    Current length: 24.5" wet and stretched.

Length
    20/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Savi - I love scientific answers!

January 2016

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I often wonder if dying opens up the cuticle, allowing for better moisturizing of the hair. My hair doesn't take dye very well, making me think it's not particularly porus. Once it's been dyed it fades like crazy though, indicating that those cuticles are still more open than closed.

I find that I get a little more wave if I do a deep treatment on my virgin hair, but nothing compared to my well-treated but previously dyed hair.

Length
    apl/hip/?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

I have that too! My hair was almost 2c before I knew how to take care of it. The healthier it gets, the straighter it gets. I have settled on 2a/2b because the ends curl, but most of it is more like 1c.

Length
    25"/40"/40"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

When my hair was dry and not cared for well, it had a very pronounced 2a waves. As I've been taking better care of it and it has gotten more moisture, it's texture is more 1c with only the occasional 2a wave.

I'm sad to see some of the wave go, but all I really care about is that it's healthier and happier...