Page 1001 of 1057 FirstFirst ... 501901951991999100010011002100310111051 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,010 of 10570

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Length
    28"/35"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: self made hairtoys thread

Oh goody, I'm glad I'm not alone! You guys should try a seven sided one too, there's more to work with, though it's less space for each texture. I wonder if there are any, like, 10 sided nail buffers I could get? 12 sides? I want more!!

Good to know about the wet and dry sandpaper, enting, and congrats on being the 10,000th post!
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Type
    1b/F/i

I use micro mesh cloth for resins. Actually, I use that stuff for all kinds of things. Can live without it!
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Length
    APL/Waist/?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii

I've heard one can use baking soda for buffing too, just put a bit of it on a cloth and rub with it. I haven't tried it myself though.

APL --- BSL --- MBL --- Waist --- Hip --- TBL --->

Length
    APL/33"/CL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

milosmomma, I love your cedar hair forks. Sorry if I'm jumping in on this discussion a little late, but how did you make the rough shape out of the blocks? I'd like to figure out a way to do it with the tools I have (saber saw, hack saw, no table saw) so I don't need to rely on my dad's tools, which I only have access to for a week in the summer.
    ~Lady Aeginaea of the Many Silken Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~
    "The strongest and sweetest songs yet remain to be sung." — Walt Whitman

Length
    21.5/21.5/42
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lunasea View Post
    I use micro mesh cloth for resins. Actually, I use that stuff for all kinds of things. Can live without it!
    Oh, I have micromesh! I haven't tried it yet though, but now I'm really thinking that I should. I had gotten it for resin, but hadn't wanted to wear it out on wood. You can get a good sized assortment pack of it on Amazon, which is what I did (and then promptly didn't use)

Does anyone else get obsessed with things like making hair sticks/hair forks? It's my current thing, and I really need to get to 25 posts so I can see all of everyone's beautiful work, and show off my own!

Length
    21.5/21.5/42
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
    That actually sounds nicer to work with. The spray has a very strong smell and is pretty much like spray on clear nail polish so you have to set up a little spray area with new papers or a cloth and should use gloves, preferably outside But it only usually needs one or two coats at most and the item is water proof at the end.
    It has a warning on it to not inhale the fumes/use in an open area, but I honestly don't smell anything. What I can't smell won't hurt me, right? I've been putting more than just two coats on it, but then again it's to try to smoothe out the texture of that danged glitter my inner diva insisted on needing lots of!

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Well I didn't really have tools at the time I made the one with straight legs. The cedar blocks were called shims, they look like small wide doorstops and I found them I my dads tool room, along with very coarse belt sanding paper which I used to sand the rough shape of the shim and folded the paper in half to file away the middle between the tines. The bendy looking fork I had use of a dremel to try and be more creative with the shape. Then once I liked the shape I just used finer and finer paper to smooth. The first paper I used to get the rough shape was very rough, enough to take off skin if I caught in on my fingers lol. You could easily use a saw to get the rough shape and then just sand sand sand. They took a long time, but I love sanding by hand and find it therapeutic.

ETA I meant to quote spidergoat

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kattt View Post
    It has a warning on it to not inhale the fumes/use in an open area, but I honestly don't smell anything. What I can't smell won't hurt me, right? I've been putting more than just two coats on it, but then again it's to try to smoothe out the texture of that danged glitter my inner diva insisted on needing lots of!
    LOL I hope so because I used mine in a tiny bathroom...the windows open it's ok I'll live. Glitter can be tricky, I remember I tried glitter on a chopstick long ago and it always looked dimpled. Let me knowif you crack the code for smooth glitter.

Length
    APL/33"/CL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

milosmamma, thanks for the info!
    Here's a fork I made with my dad last summer. He cut out the shape and softened the edges a bit, and I finished it up with multiple grits of sandpaper and a bit of beeswax. It's made of oak and I absolutely love the grain pattern. Plans have been made to make more in different woods. Hopefully cherry, walnut, and whatever else is lying around in his shop.
    ~Lady Aeginaea of the Many Silken Strands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~
    "The strongest and sweetest songs yet remain to be sung." — Walt Whitman

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Wow spidergoat, I love the grain on it too and it looks so professional. I tend to stain everything dark, but that light wood with your darker hair has me thinking....lol