Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Hair Oils Thread

I've done a tiny bit of research on various oils that are used on hair. I thought I would present the modest amount I've learned and let the rest of you add on with your information. This should help people decide what oils might work best for them and why.

One thing I know about coconut oil is that it is said to help prevent protein loss when washing hair. Therefore it seems a good oil to use in your hair the night before or at least as a pre-treatment about an hour before shampooing.

As far as different oils working better for certain hair types, I wonder how much of it has to do with how the oils works on the hair. Some oils penetrate the hair shaft and other oils sit on top. These are the oils and qualities that I know so far.

Striaght chain glycerides that penetrate:
    Coconut
    Olive
    Avocado
    Palm Kernel
    Camellia
    Sweet Almond
    Castor Oil

Oils that partially penetrate:
    Meadowfoam seed

Polyunsaturated oils that sit on top of hair:
    Jojoba
    Sunflower
    Grapeseed
    Sesame
    Broccoli Seed

If one is wanting an oil to fortify the hair strand somewhat, then it seems one of the oils in the first classification might be best. If one is trying to seal moisture in or keep humidity out, then I wonder if one of the oils in the latter class might be best. If one wants to do both, then it seems that a light oiling with an oil in the first class, followed by a light sheen of an oil from the second class might be what is called for.

Anyway, I think this might give you all some things to consider when figuring out how to use oil for your hair routine. Anyone with something to contribute to this thread is encouraged to add what you know. If we get enough of a body of new information I will try to incorporate it into this first post so that people searching for this information won't have to wade through a long thread to find what they need.
    Last edited by Silver & Gold; August 29th, 2008 at 05:56 AM.