Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hair growth and traditional foods (Paleo/primal/WAPF)

Length
    20/34/38
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair growth and traditional foods (Paleo/primal/WAPF)

How can you tell if meat is grass fed? Does this make it a lot more expensive? Sorry it's probably off topic a bit but it sounds really interesting, except that I'm a student with a limited food buget. I am trying to loose weight. Does anyone have a link to a description of this kind of diet?

Length
    23.5/28.5"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I buy mine from a organic butchers which specify its grass fed, they also have all the farmers details and you can go see their farm or see it onlne and they only are grass fed with no grains.
    I also buy organic free range eggs from chickens, which are only grass fed too and also chicken.

It is VERY expensive, however, I would rather cut back on other things and know my food is 'clean' and how nature intended it to be...

Here is some information, if you search the net, you will find lots..

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/welco...#axzz1wVAvwwJA
    http://thepaleodiet.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FireFromWithin View Post
    How can you tell if meat is grass fed? Does this make it a lot more expensive? Sorry it's probably off topic a bit but it sounds really interesting, except that I'm a student with a limited food buget. I am trying to loose weight. Does anyone have a link to a description of this kind of diet?

Length
    10 in/30 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

I've been primal since 1999. I haven't noticed any real connection between my hair and how I eat, but I admittedly had a lot of other things going on, so that wasn't my focus. My hair has been much thinner since 2003 or so following the birth of my first (late 2002.) I certainly didn't notice hair LOSS with the way I eat, and if I didn't eat this way I suspect I'd be much worse off, honestly.

I think my hair health is very thyroid related. Being off grains/gluten/sugar only helps my thyroid!

warm weather enthusiast mrs_coffee's Avatar
    Length
    PIXIE/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Grass-fed beef can be pretty pricey. If you can find a local farmer to purchase beef from it can be less expensive that way. Our farmer charges 4.25 per pound for grass-fed ground beef, just as a comparison. I think he's very reasonable as far as grass-fed meat goes. We also get pastured chicken, eggs, and turkey from him, and joined a herdshare for raw milk. I found this guy through our local WAPF chapter.

http://www.westonaprice.org/

In the sidebar on the right there is a link "Find A Local Chapter." Local WAPF chapters usually have lots of connections for grass-fed meat and eggs and possibly raw milk, depending on the laws of your state.

Length
    13/42/58
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Interesting to read about the varied experiences re: diet. My middle son (almost 32) has gone to a paleo diet as much as possible, and he's noticed a huge reduction in hair loss, as well as regrowth. He had been losing his hair for a few years now in the typical male pattern baldness areas. He says he has a better sleep pattern, too.

We switched to cooking mostly home-made, as natural-as-possible food over the past couple of years, both for health and financial reasons. We cut out artificial sweeteners, coloring and preservatives as much as we could, and would love to buy organic and grass fed if money would allow.

I want to do better with carbs, as that makes me feel better, gives me lots of energy, and I lose weight like crazy. But we do the best we can for now.

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I've been mostly paleo with the odd bit of dairy, whey protein, sugar, corn & potatoes since Feb 10th 2012. So right at almost 4 months. I used to get 5/8" of growth, at least since I started measuring obsessively after joining LHC. But since February, I have been getting 1" a month. I attribute this to the large amounts of protein I'm now eating, in the absence of wheat, rice, processed foods and anything with soy in it (bad, thyroid wise). It might be the absence of soy that perked my thyroid up? Not sure, haven't had it re-tested yet.

I had a large shed last Fall due to forgetting to take my thyroid meds and getting sick. So I'm glad for the length-spurt, so that those baby hairs/halo can hurry up and join the rest.

I've been eating primal for about 20 months now.. I do fall off the wagon a lot (mmm cake).. but I've at the least always been at 80%. I haven't noticed any changes.. but now that my hair is short I may be able to tell.. so far it seems to be slow growing, but that may just be me. :/

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

It's so funny how LHC is always a step ahead of me on my discoveries. Before I can share I always find a thread here...

I'm looking into going primal as soon as I'm in control of my diet again (currently living with a host family, a living situation that unfortunately entails all meals included, which means lots of pasta), and I've added fish back into my diet for that reason. It's kind of hard because sometimes I still feel a little weird about eating a dead creature, after being vegetarian for so long. I don't have any immediate plans to add any other animals into my diet, even though I understand the health benefits, which is why I think primal (with the allowance for dairy) is a better fit for me than full paleo.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com