Thread: Pha Bun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    17"/34"/42"
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

Default Re: Pha Bun

So pretty! My favorite hair stick doesn't work all that well for this, so there's only one thing to do: I must buy a hair fork!

It looks to me to be a version of the French Twist. Longer hair will have trouble getting all that hair up and tucked under.

Hair length matters as it concerns forming a bun.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    It looks to me to be a version of the French Twist. Longer hair will have trouble getting all that hair up and tucked under.

Hair length matters as it concerns forming a bun.

heidi w.
    It's not at all like a French twist. It's more of a twisted and then wrapped hairstick bun, where the hair twists around the stick as you turn it, and then the ends are wrapped around. No tucking involved. Very long hair might need some modifications, but it worked fine for my almost-hip length hair and I could easily have several more inches of hair and still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Nymph View Post
    So pretty! My favorite hair stick doesn't work all that well for this, so there's only one thing to do: I must buy a hair fork!
    FYI: in the world of antique hair combs (and vintage) we call a two toothed hair comb a hair "pin" I find two teethed hair combs to offer extra holding power. Of course, if using an antique hair comb, I never ask the comb to actually hold my hair weight up because my hair is somewhat heavy. Instead I only ask it to decorate my hair. So I get more modern appliances for use in my hair.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva

Length
    17"/34"/42"
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    LOL You'll fit in just fine around here
    Haha! Thanks!

FYI: in the world of antique hair combs (and vintage) we call a two toothed hair comb a hair "pin" I find two teethed hair combs to offer extra holding power. Of course, if using an antique hair comb, I never ask the comb to actually hold my hair weight up because my hair is somewhat heavy. Instead I only ask it to decorate my hair. So I get more modern appliances for use in my hair.

heidi w.
    Ah, I didn't know that. I appreciate the info! I have trouble holding my hair up (its so slippery!); I can't imagine how you hold all yours up! (I'll have to remember you next time I complain about having too much hair, Heidi!)

Nice updo. I don't know the name, per se, but it's been around for a while. I've worn my hair like that in the past. Um, a little tip: tuck the ends under. Detracts from the overall effect to have the ends sticking out.

Very pretty otherwise.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva

Length
    Chin/APL+/WL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I need a few more inches to my hair! I think by the end of the year I might be able to pull this off. For now I'll just keep using my fork for my french twists. I think this bun will be a favorite of mine.

I guess I finally got around to actually watching the video. I made a video a while back of how I oil my hair which included how to do a given hair bun with a hair stick (or two sticks, I think I did it with.)

I find it generally hard to put a hair stick in and then build a hair updo around it. In your video, your hands mostly cover up what you're doing. When doing any kind of hairstyling, even a simple braid video, it's important to slow down and really, really show what the hands are doing when, how one is turning the hair when and that sort of thing. Although your bun is beautiful, your hands pretty much cover up the whole thing, such as how you manage to hold the hair stick in, which almost falls out, while you're twisting your hair about, and stuff like that. So much of hair updos is not what is the hair doing; but rather, what are the hands doing? Braiding is important to know what the hands are doing, for example, to hold the tension of the weave while continuing to weave. The trick managed in this video is how to make that hair fork stay put while you twist the hair around it. That isn't wholly visible how you do that.

But it's a very good first effort video. I'm glad you didn't video in the bathroom as so many do.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva

Another reason why I must grow my hair long Your hair and updo are beautiful. Thanks for posting your video. You did a great job!

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I guess I finally got around to actually watching the video. I made a video a while back of how I oil my hair which included how to do a given hair bun with a hair stick (or two sticks, I think I did it with.)

I find it generally hard to put a hair stick in and then build a hair updo around it. In your video, your hands mostly cover up what you're doing. When doing any kind of hairstyling, even a simple braid video, it's important to slow down and really, really show what the hands are doing when, how one is turning the hair when and that sort of thing. Although your bun is beautiful, your hands pretty much cover up the whole thing, such as how you manage to hold the hair stick in, which almost falls out, while you're twisting your hair about, and stuff like that. So much of hair updos is not what is the hair doing; but rather, what are the hands doing? Braiding is important to know what the hands are doing, for example, to hold the tension of the weave while continuing to weave. The trick managed in this video is how to make that hair fork stay put while you twist the hair around it. That isn't wholly visible how you do that.

But it's a very good first effort video. I'm glad you didn't video in the bathroom as so many do.

heidi w.
    I personally don't agree, even it's not the best vid made since it's my first hairtutorial. I think you can see clearly enough how to do it, and I've been told it's a very clear video too, so I'm happy with it.
    You hold the fork while you twist the hair around it. What you see, is how to do it. No secret tricks or anything.
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be