Thread: My henna bleeds when I use conditioner. Is this normal at the beginning?

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Question My henna bleeds when I use conditioner. Is this normal at the beginning?

I just had my 3rd wash since henna application (of which the 1st was the post-henna rinse), but I notice I still see significant bleeding when I use any conditioner on my hair (currently using cone-free).

My henna mixture was Rajasthani with distilled water and no acids added and let it sit for 4+ hours.

Is it normal to see bleeding when conditioning hennaed hair in the first X number of washes? I wash my hair once a week, but I don't want to use acidic rinses such as ACV.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Default Re: My henna bleeds when I use conditioner. Is this normal at the beginning?

I haven’t noticed bleeding from the diluted cassia/henna treatments I do but I’ve definitely read about others who report it so it seems normal enough! Some people need to henna a few times before it “sticks”

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: My henna bleeds when I use conditioner. Is this normal at the beginning?

Yeah, my henna would bleed for a few washes. Shampoo and conditioner both made it bleed.
    Do you use sulfates? When I did sulfate free, the bleeding lasted longer. A good sulfate wash and scalp scrubbing usually stopped it or reduced it significantly. The raj I used seemed to bleed worse then the jamila.

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Yeah, my henna would bleed for a few washes. Shampoo and conditioner both made it bleed.
    Do you use sulfates? When I did sulfate free, the bleeding lasted longer. A good sulfate wash and scalp scrubbing usually stopped it or reduced it significantly. The raj I used seemed to bleed worse then the jamila.
    My most recent wash was the first time using an SLES shampoo since hennaeing. Little no bleeding when I was rinsing and shampooing my hair, until I applied the conditioner. Perhaps it needs multiple clarifying washes before the bleeding stops.
    Last edited by Fimu; November 13th, 2020 at 05:50 AM.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Could be. I've not found the bleeding causes fading so I didn't really worry about it. In my case, it was just residue and I was glad it was washing away.
    Is your scalp still orange?

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Could be. I've not found the bleeding causes fading so I didn't really worry about it. In my case, it was just residue and I was glad it was washing away.
    No, my scalp isn't orange.

After washing/rinsing my hair 6 times since henna, I still notice some bleeding when I rinsed off my deep conditioner (C2 from the WCC sequence).

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

No, my scalp isn't orange.

After washing/rinsing my hair 6 times since henna, I still notice some bleeding when I rinsed off my deep conditioner (C2 from the WCC sequence). When I used C1 briefly, I did not notice any bleeding yet.

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Update: my hennaed hair bled again under the shower when I used conditioner. When rinsing my hair with just water, bleeding was negligible. But once I applied conditioner and rinsed, more bleeding occurred. This happens with any conditioner, whether coney or not.

I expect the bleeding will stop again after a few washes, but still remarkable that the color only bleeds when it gets touched by a conditioner. Next week I'm going to cleanse with a sulfate-free shampoo.
    Last edited by Fimu; June 14th, 2022 at 02:59 AM.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I've found that when I use an ACV rinse after washing out my henna I get less bleed in subsequent washes. I think some bleeding is usual though and I generally only use a certain towel that I don't mind being stained when washing my hair.