Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Updos for round face shape?

Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Updos for round face shape?

I really need some sort of updo. I haven't worn my hair up in public for a long time. My hair is always down.

I've tried so many ponytails and buns and braids... they all make my face either look wider or rounder. I've tried side bangs and blunt bangs, I look terrible in both, especially with my hair pulled back...

And by the way, my hair is a few inches past shoulder length so it isn't super versatile at this point. I wish my hair would grow faster.

So, do you people know any sort of updo that would suit a round face?

Where people are made in canoes, live in igloos, and ride polar bears to school.
    Length
    Jaw/bra/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Updos for round face shape?

You could do a ponytail, but make a lot of volume on the top of your head (one of those poof thingies, maybe?)to make your hair appear longer and more oval, and keep it flat on the sides/by your temples.
    Last edited by Dizzy_zzz; September 25th, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Lady Almárëa of the Thrice-Blessed Locks in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    It's all in the teeth of the matter.

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Typically round faces are widest at the cheeks, so I'd say you'd want to do updos that are focused on the crown but are also not pulled back too tightly. I'm not very knowledgeable in updos yet, (short hair and all) but I was trying to give an idea.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

A pulled back high sock bun looked great with my round face at shoulder length. I don't feel the need to hide it behind face framing layers...because society doesn't like round shapes? But layers look great too, same with long bangs (I have both), but wear them because you like the style not because you need to hide your face. I personally love the versatility of pulling all back into an updo or having just bangs, or bangs with layers.

My face is out there, someone can not look if they are bothered by it.
    Lady Alvarie of the Enchanted Comb in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Yes, don't be ashamed of your round face! I hate it when society tells round/square/long - faced people how to hide their natural face shape to make it look more oval (hide your angled jaw, layers all around your face, etc, etc). I mean, I love oval faces, but I also love my own square jaw, and wide faces can be very attractive 'too'!

I don't really think about how to make my face longer when wearing updos (wouldn't mind to know, though, for a change!), but I find that ponytails with very polished, flat sides look good with my square face and draw attention to my square jaw...I don't really know if it actually makes one's face longer, though . About updos...Maybe a high updo with all your hair piled up high on your head and fixed in place with a fork/hairstick would help making your face a bit less wide...I've become a fan of that updo since getting my first hairforks in May . But maybe that one wouldn't work with your past-shoulder hair...

Type
    2c/M/iii

I have done high ponytails and buns already. They look okay close up, but when you look at me 6 ft away my face looks really round.

I know there's nothing wrong with a round face, but I always look so stupid with my hair up. I'm jealous of people who can just throw their hair in a bun or something, and walk out the door looking fine.

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Yup. A poof is good for a round face (I have one) - basically, take the front section if hair which would be used to make bangs if you had them, twist once and hold the twist, place the twist on your head somewhere between your crown and front hairline, push forward a bit to create the lift, then pin in place with two bobby pins.

Nice, easy, no hair damage. This works if you have long bangs/face-framing layers, which I also like sometimes. For my face, face-framing pieces which end between the bottom of my cheekbones and my jaw work, because they emphasis the hollow there and define my face a bit (my face is round because the top of my jaw and my cheekbones are both wide). YMMV on this, though.

The effect of the pouf, though, is something like this:

http://vfare36.files.wordpress.com/2...pg?w=400&h=400
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Type
    2c/M/iii

Thanks celebriangel. I don't remember if I have tried a poof ponytail yet, so I will test it.
    But I can't get face framing layers... my hair is extremely thick and will poof up if I cut any bit of my hair too short.

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Orangerthanred View Post
    I have done high ponytails and buns already. They look okay close up, but when you look at me 6 ft away my face looks really round.

I know there's nothing wrong with a round face, but I always look so stupid with my hair up. I'm jealous of people who can just throw their hair in a bun or something, and walk out the door looking fine.
    I'm pretty sure you look just fine 6ft away and close up.
    We can be our own worst critics. Some of the people you think look great in a bun probably have round faces too.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Mairéad View Post
    I'm pretty sure you look just fine 6ft away and close up.
    We can be our own worst critics. Some of the people you think look great in a bun probably have round faces too.
    Maybe. Can mirrors lie about what you look like? Dx

I don't know. The select few people I was talking about happen to have heart shaped faces, I think..