Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthy hair test?

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Question Healthy hair test?

I've been reading some contradictory things in regards to finding out if your hair is healthy or not.

I read somewhere that healthy hair will stretch to double it's length. But here, I read that if your hair is stretchy, it's lacking protien?

Are there any articles here that I can read up on in regards to findin out if your hair is healthy? I read that you can take a strand of hair and see if it sinks/floats in a cup of water. Again, one article said if it floats, it's healthy but if it floats, it's not healthy.

Just ever so curious! Thanks!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Default Re: Healthy hair test?

I know I have seen something similar once and I have been looking ever since to try to find but with no luck
    As far as I remember it, it had a few steps to try… Something like “Run your nails over a shed strand and if it coils up like this and that it’s lacking this and that. Take a shed hair and pull it apart until it breaks and if the break looks like this it’s lacking this and if it’s breaking like that it’s lacking that.”
    Following this thread to see if anyone can help!

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

There are two that I know of. If it sinks in water, it is porous, if it floats, it is not so porous. Though I suppose there are other things that can affect this.

The stretching it is to check the protein/moisture balance. If it snaps without stretching at all, it does not need protein and needs moisture. If it stretches way long, it may need protein. The figure I usually hear for how far you want it to be able to stretch is like 20-30% ideally. But what may be the most important part is if you stretch it far as you think it will go, then let go of one end, does it revert to something close to its previous length. It doesn't have to go back exactly the same, just somewhat. If it doesn't revert at all and stays stretched out, it may need protein.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Oh i know the link....ill fish for it!
    eta
    -here

ok above there is a list of tests at the top left!
    Porosity
    elasticity
    and structural
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    32/46/dunno
    Type
    1a/M/iii

I always thought it was SO weird that my hair floated in water. Now I know why, thanks guys, hahaha. Sweet! I will have to try the other tests later from some hair on my brush.

Length
    18/28/32
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

This site taught me how to "wet assess" my hair:
    http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuk...ewtopic/id/511

When I first tried this last year, my hair literally felt like gum when wet. Like if I smushed a bunch of strands in my hand, it felt like they would bind together into one clump. And if I stretched a strand, it stretched really far and thinned out before breaking. Like melted cheese on a pizza! lol

If anyone else has let harsh chemicals touch their hair repeatedly, you probably know what I'm talking about.

But mine might be an extreme case of needing protein, considering I had a really bad chemical straightening on bleached hair at that time. So bad that as I was driving home, my hair was breaking off as it rubbed against the seatbelt. I then drove directly to another salon, crying , and had my hair chopped off the same day.

I kept "wet assessing" as I nursed my hair to test its strength and health. I found this was effective for me to get where I am now.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

This site taught me how to "wet assess" my hair:
    http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuk...ewtopic/id/511
    Oh my god this is perfect!!!

I had no idea actually stretching the hair wasn't right for testing.
    Because one thing, if my fingers were closer together on the hair, it'd break fast. If my fingers were far apart, it'd stretch more and then break.
    Had no clue combing and touching were the best ways.

Length
    chin/apl+/elbow
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Wow. I just pulled one hair out to see, just for fun, and its so stretchy its not even funny. It feels like an elastic band O.o
    shoulder - apl - bsl - WAIST - elbow
    Calaelen rocks my socks

Length
    pixie/pixie/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

my hair was super stretchy when i had it bleached blonde from black......but that cant be good.

Length
    pixie/pixie/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

sry i meant from black to blonde lol