Thread: Updos for round face shape?

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Updos for round face shape?

Quote Originally Posted by SwordWomanRiona View Post
    I've browsed through that page, and I must rant again, I hate the fact that 'fashion' is always trying to force us into fitting society's established models! "Long-faced people can't wear their hair long and straight because it would make their face longer"..."Round-faced people should try to hide their round face with layers"..."Square-faced people should do so and so to hide their angular jaw and soften their face to make it more feminine ",...
    I hate that last one because I'm square-faced (my face begins to get a little bit oval, but it's wider than it's long and it's angular), and people, I love my square jaw, and I don't want to hide it at all. Why does society dare to say a square jaw is 'hard' and 'unfeminine' (Patriarchy's words!)? And what if a round-faced or long-faced person actually likes their round/long face? Why should we hate how we look like and try to hide and change our own face/body/hair type just because society says they're unbecoming?!

Right, end of hijacking rant . But I really had to say that, i feel so strongly about the subject.
    I'm on the square side of oval too, and I understand what you're saying. Which is I why I put to google the star with the similar face shape and not just stay on the page. It's all well and good for the page to say blah blah blah, but if you look at it and decide that your face shape is similar to drew barrymore, and you google "drew barrymore updo" you are bound to see everything from pigtails to crown braids and it won't all be what 'society' thinks she should wear but what she feels comfortable in, and what might work for you too.

The thing about these sites is that no two sites have the same celebs for each face shape, I have seen halle berry called a perfect oval, a square, and an upside down triangle, which all have different "rules", but if your face is a similar shape to Halle Berry, by googling her you'll know that ten to one you will look fab with short hair, and that you'll disappear behind heavy shoulder length layers-unless your hair is pure white. (which isn't to say you shouldn't have them, some people want to disappear).
    here are some drew updo's:

http://www.stylebistro.com/lookbook/...wp1T3AhE/Updos

the pics just show that when she piles her hair on top of her head, the focus of her face is on her jaw. When she pulls it back flat, the focus is her cheekbones. Which type hairstyle to wear would just matter on which part of your face you like best, or want to highlight that day.

(All these you's are theoretical, just to clarify)
    Last edited by FrozenBritannia; September 26th, 2011 at 02:57 PM.
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

I have a round face also. The worst kind of updo for me would be a tightly pulled back low neat bun with no bangs. If I wear a low bun I like to have it voluminous and messy and off to the side with some volume up top. Having long layerered bangs help as well as thin tapered pieces that hang down slightly above each ear. My favorite go to updo is a high sock bun that I like to decorate with a feather hairband or a big flower clip. I also like french twists with a bump in the crown area. Sometimes I curl my hair first and then pile it up on top of my head in sections and pin it down. If you do a low bun you can make a pouf or faux hawk type thing in the front and hold it with bobby pins and then make your low bun.

Type
    2c/M/iii

Thanks people.

And like I said before, bangs and short layers do not work with my hair at all...

Type
    2c/M/iii

Oh, and I will be forcing myself to wear my hair in a high bun tomorrow. I'll post about how it goes. I'm a bit worried about everyone seeing my ears- they aren't protruding, but they go out a little bit.

Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SwordWomanRiona View Post
    I've browsed through that page, and I must rant again, I hate the fact that 'fashion' is always trying to force us into fitting society's established models! "Long-faced people can't wear their hair long and straight because it would make their face longer"..."Round-faced people should try to hide their round face with layers"..."Square-faced people should do so and so to hide their angular jaw and soften their face to make it more feminine ",...
    I hate that last one because I'm square-faced (my face begins to get a little bit oval, but it's wider than it's long and it's angular), and people, I love my square jaw, and I don't want to hide it at all. Why does society dare to say a square jaw is 'hard' and 'unfeminine' (Patriarchy's words!)? And what if a round-faced or long-faced person actually likes their round/long face? Why should we hate how we look like and try to hide and change our own face/body/hair type just because society says they're unbecoming?!

Right, end of hijacking rant . But I really had to say that, I feel so strongly about the subject.
    I agree, but there is something I would like to mention.

According to the science of attraction, 'beautiful/attractive' female features are:
    Narrower facial shape
    Less fat
    Fuller lips
    Slightly bigger distance of eyes
    Darker, narrower eye brows
    More, longer and darker lashes
    Higher cheek bones
    Narrower nose
    No eye rings
    Thinner lids

So the perfect woman would look like this, in general:

It's not just society that says a square jaw is masculine, a round face is too wide, or a long face is a horse face. It's, apparently, something in our brains.

Check this out: http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakulta...prototypen.htm

On a Diplomatic Mission Intransigentia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/butt/class
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Even if it is in our brains, so what? There's probably an ideal masculine face too, but how many men do you know who worry about camoflaging this or bringing out that when they do their hair? Why do you, as a woman, have to stress and worry and constrain while they just do what they like?

For myself, I've found radical acceptance is the way to go. The question that helped me was: What if tall people dressed to look taller and people with big butts dressed to emphasize their butts and people with flat chests dressed to look flatter? Why is fashion all about making everything look the same?

The other thing is, all that crap about camoflaging different shapes with optical illusions is so much Because you dislike the roundness of your face, you'll see it in the mirror every time you look, no matter what you've done with your hair or your clothes or your makeup or your glasses or whatever. Besides, unless your face is really extremely round and you do something like one bun above each ear, most people really aren't looking at you closely enough for it to even register.

Benign neglector par excellence

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Ah yes, and the Golden Ratio... They also say that infants find people who have symmetrical features more attractive too.

On that note, there was a study which looked into whether people with tattoos and piercing are more likely to be unsymmetrical in their features. It discovered that one the whole, people with tattoos and piercing are more symmetrical than the rest of us, not less. Apparently, they are so brimming with great genes that they can risk their health more than less symmetrical folk. (according to the study's reasoning anyways. Quite interesting.)
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Intransigentia View Post
    people with big butts dressed to emphasize their butts
    Some people do that!
    Lady Alvarie of the Enchanted Comb in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Orangerthanred View Post
    I agree, but there is something I would like to mention.

According to the science of attraction, 'beautiful/attractive' female features are:
    Narrower facial shape
    Less fat
    Fuller lips
    Slightly bigger distance of eyes
    Darker, narrower eye brows
    More, longer and darker lashes
    Higher cheek bones
    Narrower nose
    No eye rings
    Thinner lids

So the perfect woman would look like this, in general:

It's not just society that says a square jaw is masculine, a round face is too wide, or a long face is a horse face. It's, apparently, something in our brains.

Check this out: http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakulta...prototypen.htm
    As a science student, I would like to point out that nothing related to likes/dislikes, or any subjective or aesthetic issues can be treated scientifically. One can't make a 'perfect face'-study and claim that's scientific and true for everybody and the universal 'perfect' face, because these kind of studies have no scientific basis at all. They're just based in what some people think is 'perfect', and that's hardly something you can measure or prove. Science only works with things that can be measured in an objective way. The 'perfect woman' (or man) isn't something one can set as a generalized theorem necessarily true for everyone.
    If it's something in our brains, then I think it has to do with what society has inserted there (its approved values about what is beautiful and what isn't, for example). I for example would add an angular jaw to my 'ideal face', and that is considered unattractive to many people, and it defies society's set rules about what is beautiful. So if society's perfect face doesn't work for me (I tend to like long faces too, so you can see they don't), then maybe some part of my brain has refused to accept those set rules.
    I'm sorry, but I refuse to think that something so subjective as what's beautiful and what's not has any scientific basis. You can't measure 'beauty' with any instrument.

Sorry if I seem angry, I'm more impassioned and earnest than angry, really, and I'm not trying to flame anyone . I'm just sad that so many people feel bad against some part of themselves because it's not what it's considered 'perfect' (what's perfect, anyway?). I'm not saying we should 100% love all our features, because it's improbable, but we shouldn't feel bad about them just because they're not what society's "scientific" studies say it's more beautiful. What a horrible lie to lower everybody's self-esteem with .
    Last edited by SwordWomanRiona; September 27th, 2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Missing letter

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Intransigentia View Post
    Even if it is in our brains, so what? There's probably an ideal masculine face too, but how many men do you know who worry about camoflaging this or bringing out that when they do their hair? Why do you, as a woman, have to stress and worry and constrain while they just do what they like?

For myself, I've found radical acceptance is the way to go. The question that helped me was: What if tall people dressed to look taller and people with big butts dressed to emphasize their butts and people with flat chests dressed to look flatter? Why is fashion all about making everything look the same?

The other thing is, all that crap about camoflaging different shapes with optical illusions is so much Because you dislike the roundness of your face, you'll see it in the mirror every time you look, no matter what you've done with your hair or your clothes or your makeup or your glasses or whatever. Besides, unless your face is really extremely round and you do something like one bun above each ear, most people really aren't looking at you closely enough for it to even register.
    Thanks for this, Intransigentia .