Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updos for round face shape?

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Updos for round face shape?

Oh yes, mirrors lie. All the time. Photos too. Especially when you have something you're actually looking to dislike, lol. I just ate chocolate and jelly beans and I keep seeing a lardy lass in the mirror but I KNOW I'm the same size.

I used to feel the same about my face but I really love my face now. It's slightly oval but barely. My face shape is a lot like Drew Barrymore and she's considered round faced. Wearing hair up leaves you exposed and sometimes we don't like that, but showing your face is always beautiful.
    Last edited by Mairéad; September 25th, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Length
    29 "/33"/MORE
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I think the way to go here is radical acceptance. Round is beautiful too. I have a round face at this point, and the truth is that updos just show more of your face than wearing your hair down, which can feel vulnerable. I recommend a simple bun on the top of your head, the crown area, the ballerina spot, with a lovely hairtoy, feathers, sticks, jewells - that remind you that you are a lovely lady.

The hairtoy should stick up, which just expands the visual space above your head that seems to belong to it.

Another thing hair down does for you is cover up some of the sides of your face, making it less round. You can get some of that effect by leaving out a long piece of hair from just in front of each ear. These can be of various thicknesses and stay straight or be curled or braided. When your hair gets longer they can be braided or left soft and be looped below your ears and back into your bun. All of this interrupts the line of your face, giving you a more vertical look.

All of this must be accompanied by fabulous hair toys. I prefer Japanese Kanzashi. They are expensive, but complex, various, antique and hand made. So it's really not much money for all that.

Post pictures if you find one you like, I'd love to see.
    Last edited by Dorothy; September 25th, 2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Correct Instructions
    "I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to these teachers" Kahlil Gibran.

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

This site http://www.look-fabulous.com/celebri...ped-faces.html has a list of celebrities with round face shapes... An easy thing to do is pick one with the most similar face shape to yours, and then google them with updos, and learn how to do the ones that look good on them!
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

I look pretty awful with the pouf, lol. I think we all have the hairstyles we look best in! Whatever face shape.

Some people will just look better with hair down, and up it's still "fine". I think that's my case, I just accept that I won't look as great with hair up. When I want to look really good I'll do a hairstyle that flatters me the most, being down, half up or high buns (those are best for me). Same with hair being wavy, curly or straight. One of those just might suit a person better. We won't look our best in every hair possible.

I'd like to remember that wearing it down all the time is an option too.
    Lady Alvarie of the Enchanted Comb in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/3"/20"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

When you're trying to see what face shape you have, are you meant to smile, or not? Because when I smile, my face looks a lot rounder and bigger, but when I'm not smiling, it's smaller and more heart-shaped.
    .. with biscuit skin and hair as long as the sound of honey..
    Pixie Chin Shoulder APL BSL Waist!

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

@sunshine-locks

Don't smile.
    Lady Alvarie of the Enchanted Comb in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/3"/20"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Okay, good, that makes it much easier. Thank you
    .. with biscuit skin and hair as long as the sound of honey..
    Pixie Chin Shoulder APL BSL Waist!

Length
    FLIP/APL/CLA
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I was self conscious about wearing my hair up for the same reason - and it really hit home when I saw myself in a bad photo! I got some brow-skimming bangs and some side pieces cut in to frame my face and now I feel super cute when I wear my hair up...then again YMMV
    Lady Vanlanthiriel of the Cascading Waterfalls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    2b/ M / ii - started castor oil blend Aug 1, 2011
    Current: APL l Goal: Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Orangerthanred View Post
    I know there's nothing wrong with a round face, but I always look so stupid with my hair up. I'm jealous of people who can just throw their hair in a bun or something, and walk out the door looking fine.
    I don't know if this is an issue for you, but I think many of us are used to seeing an accustomed "look" when we check the mirror, and when we change things up dramatically, as by starting to wear updos, it takes time to get used to the new look and it can feel awkward and weird-looking for a while. You might try wearing updos when you're just doing chores around home, so there's less self-consciousness while you try something new.

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenBritannia View Post
    This site http://www.look-fabulous.com/celebri...ped-faces.html has a list of celebrities with round face shapes... An easy thing to do is pick one with the most similar face shape to yours, and then google them with updos, and learn how to do the ones that look good on them!
    I've browsed through that page, and I must rant again, I hate the fact that 'fashion' is always trying to force us into fitting society's established models! "Long-faced people can't wear their hair long and straight because it would make their face longer"..."Round-faced people should try to hide their round face with layers"..."Square-faced people should do so and so to hide their angular jaw and soften their face to make it more feminine ",...
    I hate that last one because I'm square-faced (my face begins to get a little bit oval, but it's wider than it's long and it's angular), and people, I love my square jaw, and I don't want to hide it at all. Why does society dare to say a square jaw is 'hard' and 'unfeminine' (Patriarchy's words!)? And what if a round-faced or long-faced person actually likes their round/long face? Why should we hate how we look like and try to hide and change our own face/body/hair type just because society says they're unbecoming?!

Right, end of hijacking rant . But I really had to say that, I feel so strongly about the subject.

Last edited by SwordWomanRiona; September 26th, 2011 at 03:39 PM.