Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going BLONDE for the summer!!

Length
    8/30/40
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Default Going BLONDE for the summer!!

****UPDATE!!! SUCCESS!!!! ***** Scroll to bottom of post for pics

Earlier last month I decided I wanted to try out two streaks in my hair... and I did that this morning BUT! It didn't turn out as I liked (I used a Splat dye kit) and might just go completely blonde. I want to do an ombre so my roots are still dark and I won't have to re-dye much
    EDIT: Oops I meant to say that I want to do an ombre once the roots grow out, as I think the process would be way easier to do reversed LOL

I still want to grow my hair long and keep it as healthy as possible.

I've read a few tricks to keep hair protected while bleaching and one of them was to put coconut oil in the hair and let it soak for a few hours/overnight before bleaching. I'll be doing that probably tonight!

I know I'll probably be stuck with orange blonde for a while, since I'm asian, but I've always wanted to try out an ombre and I'm pretty experienced with bleach and hair coloring

Do you lady have any tips regarding bleaching and keeping hair protected?

I'll post pictures and update the thread once I've done the deed !!!

Crossing my fingers it doesn't turn out too bad HAHA

-

***UPDATE***
    The deed has been done!
    I pre-soaked my hair in [a ton of] coconut oil for about 2 hours, bleached my ends and length with 30vol + bleach + red/gold color cancelling additive.
    Then I bleached my roots and any missed darker patches with 10vol+bleach.
    Then I toned with another packet of red/gold color cancelling additive.
    Here is everything I used and my results!!

My hair was a tiny bit damp still so it looks darker in the back. The lighter strip is from where I had my streak. It doesn't feel damaged, so I COULD bleach all over once more with 10vol to achieve the lightness of that streak all around, but I'll probably wait to do that (if I do.)

Damp braid. My hair has random layers due to a bad experience with thinning shears LOL. As you can see, there is no breakage or hay consistency. My hair naturally never gets split ends but has a coarse-ish texture.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend using coconut oil before coloring hair. It's like magic... I'm so surprised by my results. Eventually I plan on MAYBE lightening the length once more, then making my roots a gradient so that I can keep growing my hair and develop an ombre effect.
    Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Alien Girl; June 26th, 2015 at 04:56 PM.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Going BLONDE for the summer!!

Definitely that coconut oil soak pre-bleach is somewhat protective, and you need to be pretty heavy-handed with the oil.

Also, use some hydrolyzed protein treatments (always followed by moisturizing treatments, with humectans and occlusives) around your bleaching session: Aphogee 2-step and Joico K-Pak are very good reconstructors but there are many others on the market, of course. If you are a DIY kind of person, gelatin treatments could be useful, too: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...pe-update.html

Overall, bleached hair tends to respond well to hydrolyzed proteins, penetrating oils, silicones, ceramides - luckily, those are usually star ingredients in conditioners/masks for damaged/chemically processed hair.

Also, you might want to research products that are designed to limit damage during chemical processing, e.g. Olaplex. I have no experience with it, but there are some LHC-ers that reported very good results with it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=124721.

Length
    8/30/40
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Definitely that coconut oil soak pre-bleach is somewhat protective, and you need to be pretty heavy-handed with the oil.

Also, use some hydrolyzed protein treatments (always followed by moisturizing treatments, with humectans and occlusives) around your bleaching session: Aphogee 2-step and Joico K-Pak are very good reconstructors but there are many others on the market, of course. If you are a DIY kind of person, gelatin treatments could be useful, too: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...pe-update.html

Overall, bleached hair tends to respond well to hydrolyzed proteins, penetrating oils, silicones, ceramides - luckily, those are usually star ingredients in conditioners/masks for damaged/chemically processed hair.

Also, you might want to research products that are designed to limit damage during chemical processing, e.g. Olaplex. I have no experience with it, but there are some LHC-ers that reported very good results with it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=124721.
    Thanks for all the info!!! Yes I've read about Olaplex but also heard that you can't buy it unless you're a hairdresser? I know that step 3 is purchasable online, but I've heard the first two steps are really good but only available through hair salon treatments ! I might try it though (step 3) !!

Length
    8/30/40
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Update: Have had coconut oil in my hair for a little over an hour. Will keep it for another hour and a half then bleach. Will keep updating and will put up pics later!

Dr. Technicolor DreamBuns pastina's Avatar
    Length
    ?/BSL/dunno
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

if you bleached yesterday, you really should wait a month before bleaching again.

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I haven't applied straight bleach to my hair in ages, but I did do a "bleach wash" a few years back to lighten my hair after a disastrous dye job, so I have a few tips I can recommend that worked really well for me and also a few that really didn't. Before I even attempted the bleach wash, I did a few deep conditioning treatments in preparation. My hair wasn't dry by any means and it certainly wasn't brittle and lacking protein, but I threw in as much moisture and protein as I could just to be on the safe side. Also, as much as I didn't like the though, I had to accept that there would be some damage because honestly, you can't use a product like bleach without causing some sort of harm to your hair.

Now, when it comes to caring for your hair after bleaching, you need to do the following: reduce washes, limit heat, add moisture/protein, and most importantly, treat it like it's glass. Because of how drying bleach can be, reducing how frequently you wash your hair will help your natural oils repair and nourish your hair and scalp. Same goes for limiting heat. There's no faster way of guaranteeing split ends and breakage than introducing a flat iron to freshly bleached hair - trust me, I've seen it happen and it really is not pretty! When you do need to wash, use a moisturizing treatment if your hair feels dry or a protein treatment if it's starting to feel brittle and break more easily. And lastly, be gentle with it. When I say "treat it like glass", I really mean that. Bleached hair is incredibly easy to snap, split, break, you name it, so as long as you're being gentle and taking care of it, you shouldn't have an issue.

Depending on how light you're wanting to go with your hair, you'll possibly have more damage to contend with, so if you're wanting a bleach blonde look, I'd recommend waiting a while between each bleaching just to see how your hair does. I wouldn't recommend bleaching it once, drying it, then reapplying to lighten it anymore - your hair will definitely fry that way! Best of luck and hopefully everything works out for you!

Length
    8/30/40
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pastina View Post
    if you bleached yesterday, you really should wait a month before bleaching again.
    I only bleached 2 streaks

Length
    8/30/40
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by endlessly View Post
    I haven't applied straight bleach to my hair in ages, but I did do a "bleach wash" a few years back to lighten my hair after a disastrous dye job, so I have a few tips I can recommend that worked really well for me and also a few that really didn't. Before I even attempted the bleach wash, I did a few deep conditioning treatments in preparation. My hair wasn't dry by any means and it certainly wasn't brittle and lacking protein, but I threw in as much moisture and protein as I could just to be on the safe side. Also, as much as I didn't like the though, I had to accept that there would be some damage because honestly, you can't use a product like bleach without causing some sort of harm to your hair.

Now, when it comes to caring for your hair after bleaching, you need to do the following: reduce washes, limit heat, add moisture/protein, and most importantly, treat it like it's glass. Because of how drying bleach can be, reducing how frequently you wash your hair will help your natural oils repair and nourish your hair and scalp. Same goes for limiting heat. There's no faster way of guaranteeing split ends and breakage than introducing a flat iron to freshly bleached hair - trust me, I've seen it happen and it really is not pretty! When you do need to wash, use a moisturizing treatment if your hair feels dry or a protein treatment if it's starting to feel brittle and break more easily. And lastly, be gentle with it. When I say "treat it like glass", I really mean that. Bleached hair is incredibly easy to snap, split, break, you name it, so as long as you're being gentle and taking care of it, you shouldn't have an issue.

Depending on how light you're wanting to go with your hair, you'll possibly have more damage to contend with, so if you're wanting a bleach blonde look, I'd recommend waiting a while between each bleaching just to see how your hair does. I wouldn't recommend bleaching it once, drying it, then reapplying to lighten it anymore - your hair will definitely fry that way! Best of luck and hopefully everything works out for you!
    I haven't shampooed my hair in over 3 days Well I did a light diluted shampoo this morning bc it was extremely grubby after not washing for so long. My hair is very moisturized and the oil sitting in it right now feels really nice too

The big mistake I made when I had pastel hair (bleached white base) was shampooing too often... But now I hardly shampoo and usually it's with diluted shampoo. I don't use heat on my hair so that's good

And yep, I've had really damaged bleached hair before that pretty much broke apart if I pulled it too hard. -_-

Thanks!! I'll keep this updated !!

Length
    8/30/40
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Currently have the bleach on the ends and length! The oil has definitely helped the process of putting the bleach on. I remember 3 years ago when I did it on dry hair, it was very hard and crunchy and not as spread-able

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I had balayage done to my hair a year ago, and to be honest I really regret it because all the hair strands that are bleached are so so so so damaged I did also use heat on my hair so this also contributed in the damage of course, and if you do not heat style then your damage will hopefully not be as much as mine.

I never did a pre bleach oiling thing though, but I did however take really good care of my hair with oiling regularly. And now I've been heat free for two months, and although my overall hair is so much healthier, the remaining bleached hair is still very fragile.

So in my experience if you want to grow your hair really long or keep it long, I would stay away from bleaching it..

Don't mean to sound all negative and rain on your parade, but I thought I'd share my experience incase it could help you out somehow