Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!!

Beware Of The Beagles Alley Cat's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!!

Wow looks great Nightshade. Congratulations.

Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!!

Peroxide for the win!

I have two questions:

1. What volume peroxide is sun-in? And what else is in it?
    2. Do you see a greenish cast on the part that you treated?

I don't see a greenish cast in your pics - but I saw a definite dirty/greenish cast with 10vol peroxide on my hair. (I had bad experiences with 30vol btw, far too damaging). I've never been able to figure out if the green cast was my natural pigment showing up, or trace amounts of indigo showing up, or how the henna itself reacts to peroxide. So I'm curious about that.
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I'm hoping this will help other too-dark henna heads

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    Peroxide for the win!

I have two questions:

1. What volume peroxide is sun-in? And what else is in it?
    2. Do you see a greenish cast on the part that you treated?

I don't see a greenish cast in your pics - but I saw a definite dirty/greenish cast with 10vol peroxide on my hair. (I had bad experiences with 30vol btw, far too damaging). I've never been able to figure out if the green cast was my natural pigment showing up, or trace amounts of indigo showing up, or how the henna itself reacts to peroxide. So I'm curious about that.
    1: No idea what volume it is. here's the ingredients:
    Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Linum Usitatissimum Seed Extract (Linseed), Hydroxyethyl Cetyldimonium Phosphate, Dimethicone PEG 7 Phosphate, Glycerin, Quaternium 80, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance, Benzoic Acid, Disodium EDTA

2. Nope, no greenish cast at all

Thank you so much for all your research, Iris. It was what inspired me to give this a go!

Length
    pixie/TB/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

It looks very nice! Interesting to read how you achieved it.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Nightshade, that's great! I'm glad it worked for you! I'm toying with the idea myself, although I need to lighten the hair rather the henna, so this won't work for me.
    Just a little question if you may - will you add a picture of your lightened new hair in daylight? It would be more color accurate.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I'm hoping this will help other too-dark henna heads

1: No idea what volume it is. here's the ingredients:
    Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Linum Usitatissimum Seed Extract (Linseed), Hydroxyethyl Cetyldimonium Phosphate, Dimethicone PEG 7 Phosphate, Glycerin, Quaternium 80, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance, Benzoic Acid, Disodium EDTA
    Conventional peroxide, unlike natural peroxide is stabilized, so the Vitamin C in the aloe gel will have no effect on it.

If you try the oils as a pre treatment, the coconut oil first, because it is absorbed into the hair better than argan oil, I think, you should not get the same dryness and tangling, based on the 8 reports with coconut oil alone, so far. Slip was reported instead of the hair feeling stripped.

Agan oil to me, based on the P&G research and my own research on its properties, should be a bonus and reduce any damage further, because it chelates copper so well and according to P&G, copper is responsible, along free iron (from the honey research I found), for free radical damage to hair and skin, caused by hydrogen peroxide.

Where to buy argan oil and more, including the 8 reports on coconut oil used as a pre treatment.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=250
    Last edited by ktani; January 26th, 2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Nightshade, that's great! I'm glad it worked for you! I'm toying with the idea myself, although I need to lighten the hair rather the henna, so this won't work for me.
    Just a little question if you may - will you add a picture of your lightened new hair in daylight? It would be more color accurate.
    Please pardon yet another filthy mirror in my household. They always look clean until I take a picture in them :P

Oh, and fwiw, the winter sunset here is weak, so the other photos I posted are more color accurate

Before:

After:
    Last edited by Nightshade; January 26th, 2009 at 03:36 PM.

Type
    2c/M/ii

No green at all, hmmm, that's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Thank you so much for all your research, Iris. It was what inspired me to give this a go!
    You're very welcome! I'm so glad it worked for you!
    Grew out my henna (February 2007 - August 2009)

Length
    Waist/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Nightshade, thank you very much for posting this. It's an inspiring example of how going slowly can have really good benefits.

Lady Aednat, Creator of Chaos in the Order of the Longhaired Knights
    Adventures in Chaos: blog and photo album

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

I am so glad that this worked. It is a credit to Nightshade for following the posts in detail iris made on doing this, that paved the way for this result.