Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!!

Quote Originally Posted by lora410 View Post
    HOLY COW!!!! This is good news for everyone who went t dark
    That was the hope!

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Amazing! I didn't think sun-in would be strong enough, but apparently it is enough to remove a few shades. The henna must really react with it! Great job!
    I was surprised as well. I'm not sure what the upper limit is without lots of damage, but I went several shades lighter with no ill results!

Quote Originally Posted by kdaniels8811 View Post
    Niteshade - your hair is lovely! And thank you for taking the time and posting your results. A huge wealth of information is on these boards. I love your hair - envious! smile...
    Thank you so much And double thank you for using envious rather than jealous

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Your hair looks fantastic.

If you want to help prevent hair damage, should you try this again, I suggest a light coconut oiling, followed by a light argan oiling, used as a pre treatment.
    Thank you for the info I may have to try that. I have coconut oil, but no argan on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    What is metallic salt??
    It's a catch-all term for several compounds that are in some "henna hair dyes" to push the color outside the range normally possible with henna. You can read more about them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michou View Post
    I've loved your hair from the first time I saw your signature photo, I've never thought of your ends as being too dark. That said, congratulations on the results, the lighter red suits your skin beautifully!
    Thank you It's been a long struggle for accepting them and then I just said to hell with it And the copper does suit my skin much better, I'm warmed toned, so the cool darker henna just made me look ill.
    Last edited by Nightshade; January 26th, 2009 at 01:59 PM.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: I Lightened my Too-Dark Henna with Sun-In (Yes, really.) VERY pic heavy!!

I love your result, your hair actually looks more silky now (is that possible) and much more equal.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    What is metallic salt??
    Do you mean metallic salt hair dyes?

"Metallic salt dyes .... with us for a long time. The old paint and brush on hair dyes for gray hair used in the 1800s were metallic salt dyes. The basic ingredients .... not actually changed that much. Metallic salt dyes .... almost always contained a lead compound, but modern dyes contain a variety of other metals depending on the shade of color. When the metallic salt compound is applied to the hair the metal salts undergo a chemical reaction to deposit a colored film on the hair fiber surface. ...."
    http://www.keratin.com/ai/ai020.shtml

Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Do you mean metallic salt hair dyes?

"Metallic salt dyes .... with us for a long time. The old paint and brush on hair dyes for gray hair used in the 1800s were metallic salt dyes. The basic ingredients .... not actually changed that much. Metallic salt dyes .... almost always contained a lead compound, but modern dyes contain a variety of other metals depending on the shade of color. When the metallic salt compound is applied to the hair the metal salts undergo a chemical reaction to deposit a colored film on the hair fiber surface. ...."
    http://www.keratin.com/ai/ai020.shtml
    I never knew things like hair dyes and hennas can have metal in them. sounds so harsh to put these onto the hairs

Length
    18/31.5/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Wow, you really got great results.
    I was thinking about using Sun In in 2007 when I got tired of my dark red length, but didn't try it. I ended up cutting and bleaching, but if I had knew about this things would have been different.

Your hair was beautiful before and it is even more beautiful (if possible) now

Ah...Vintage!

Metallic compounds was maybe a better "catch" term... I don't know... maybe this will help. It basically has something to do with ingredients used in what is known as "compound Henna" or some chemical hair dye (usually the direct deposit dyes, Feria for example)

Cosmetic hair compositions

Length
    thigh/apl/none
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

Very inspiring and interesting! I'm starting to hate how dark the henna on my length has gotten and I've been thinking about trying different lightening methods.

"Only the shallow know themselves." -Oscar Wilde

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Your hair was beautiful before, but is still just as beautiful.

FWIW, I think the coppery shade is more natural-looking. Great result, and most encouraging for those of us who've gone too dark with henna. (there are quite a few, I think). Also it's nice to go a bit lighter in time for Spring in a few weeks.

Length
    shdlr/30.5/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

Wow! I am so happy for you Nightshade! I have been thinking about trying something similar with a peroxide/condish mixture to lighten my too dark henna a bit more. I had a lot of success lightening it that way when I first henna'ed, but it is still too dark. I have been scared to try again since the henna has fully oxidized now, but if you can get yours to lighten than I am certain that I could do something with mine! Woot! Methinks that it is time to start strand testing...
    Just keep growing....

Type
    2c/3a/M/i

I love that copper colour Nightshade. I've always admired hair that colour and I'm a nut for ginger men! Well done you, I'm glad you're so much happier with the colour now.