Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Castor oil for hair growth?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleopatra18 View Post
    I do not measure the amount but i think somewhere between one or two table spoons.
    I use about the same.

Once a week/fortnight I use about 4-5 tbsp, but thats when I do a really deep soak if I feel I need a extra bit of moisture.

Sometimes I just rub the slightest film of it round my hairline/temples if its the inbetween washes day. I have fair hair and it dosent make it greasy.

As youl have seen from my pics I got really good growth from this so it must be more than enough.

On a side note my hair has grown out heaps and my thin patch is all but gone. Pics to follow!
    SOCK BUN ADDICT
    STASH CHALLENGE & NO DYE CHALLENGE

Length
    Short/27,4/TB:)
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cleopatra18 View Post
    I do not measure the amount but i think somewhere between one or two table spoons.

Thank you for that info, then I realize I have been using waa-haha-aaaaaay too little! Like just a few drops in my scalp....

Length
    TBL/BSL+/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ButterCream View Post
    Thank you for that info, then I realize I have been using waa-haha-aaaaaay too little! Like just a few drops in my scalp....
    using a dropper is a great way of using alot more oil without causing your hair to be greasy. I can use over two spoons of oils on my scalp without getting a drop on the length of my hair.

Length
    WL/hip/TB
    Type
    1a/C/ii

So, I've decided to give this a shot. I did a 50/50 castor oil with grapeseed oil mix, and it's sitting on my hair right now.

I used a lot... probably much more than I should. I oiled up my entire scalp and massaged it, and then combed the oil through my length. Then put my hair up in a high bun and wrapped it in plastic, then put on a cap over it. I'll be heading to sleep as soon as I am done posting this...

It'll probably be a PITA to remove tomorrow, but aside from that I am looking forward to seeing how my hair looks and feels. I've never oiled my hair like this before, so it's a new experience in every way.

Tonight while oiling I experienced a lot of shedding. I haven't washed my hair since last Friday, so it's normal for me to shed a lot on these last days before wash day (I wash once a week), when I brush my hair. I shed a lot on the days I wash my hair... and today while oiling I seem to have shed about as much hairs as I do on a wash day when I haven't washed in 5-7 days. So I am hoping that my shedding tomorrow when I wash it won't be as massive.

Because I only wash my hair once a week, and don't like oils as leave-ins, and because these things are time-consuming and I have very little time and patience, I plan to only use the castor oil once a week, the night before wash day, and leaving it in overnight. I am hoping that once a week will be enough to see some results.

I'd like to see my hair grow faster. If the oil also helps decrease my shedding and darken my hair, I will be happy too. If my shedding increases I will have to stop, since I shed a lot already.

Yesterday I measured my growth from the past 2 months (8 weeks, to be exact), and my hair grew 1 inch. This is a pretty exact measurement, since I dyed my hair 8 weeks ago and measured the actual root. I guess that's pretty average growth, and I had thought my hair grew far below average... it certainly doesn't look like it grew a whole inch. But now I know exactly how much it grew and will be able to measure my growth with the castor oil experiment, so I will know whether or not it works.

Length
    22"/32"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    It'll probably be a PITA to remove tomorrow, but aside from that I am looking forward to seeing how my hair looks and feels. I've never oiled my hair like this before, so it's a new experience in every way.

Because I only wash my hair once a week, and don't like oils as leave-ins, and because these things are time-consuming and I have very little time and patience, I plan to only use the castor oil once a week, the night before wash day, and leaving it in overnight. I am hoping that once a week will be enough to see some results.

Yesterday I measured my growth from the past 2 months (8 weeks, to be exact), and my hair grew 1 inch. This is a pretty exact measurement, since I dyed my hair 8 weeks ago and measured the actual root. I guess that's pretty average growth, and I had thought my hair grew far below average... it certainly doesn't look like it grew a whole inch. But now I know exactly how much it grew and will be able to measure my growth with the castor oil experiment, so I will know whether or not it works.
    I have found that a conditioner wash (pre-shampoo if you shampoo) is the key to removing oils, although I have only done heavy oilings with olive oil and coconut oil.
    It is going to be interesting to see if your growth improves with just once a week application. I will be eagerly watching your results!

Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

For some reason when i put it on my scalp no matter what i do it always gets on my length LOL

Flying the friendly skies CrisDee's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/UBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I have gotten some GREAT growth using this stuff! I really think it's been an inch a month for the two months I've been using it! Haven't had time to take pictures, will try to do that soon. I've been using a mix of 50/50 EVOO and castor oil, with several drops each of lavender, geranium and rosemary EO's (rosemary is also supposed to promote growth, lavender & geranium smell nice). I've been using it 2-3 times a week for like 3 weeks out of the month, avoiding it for about a week after henna. Before bed, I pour a little puddle into my palm; I flip my head over, and then dip the fingers of my other hand in the puddle and rub it into my scalp til it's gone. I probably use about 2-3 teaspoons of it at a time. CO washing gets it all out the next morning - and it smells just heavenly all night long!

RIP, Manatawny's Sterling Slam Dunk, call name Mutombo. 6/24/2001 - 6/24/2013. Best. Dog. Ever.

Well, I tried again last night. My hair still isn't dry so I can't tell for sure if it is greasy or not.
    I used 50/50 Castor Oil and Avacado Oil.
    I tried CO washing it out--we'll see if it worked once my hair is dry. :-/

When I combed it out this morning, it seemed like I was still shedding a fair amount which is discouraging. I want this to work so badly!!

Length
    17.5/28/34??
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

I've been lurking in this thread for a while...and I finally decided to give it a try. I've ordered my oil, I just hope I can commit I plan to dilute it with evoo and wash it out with a shampoo bar. My hair could use some regular oilings, anyway, I think.

*January vs June*
    No more trims until the new year!
    Wearing hair up for 1 year

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Jumping again on the oiling bandwagon, it's getting colder outside and me and my hair have now calmed down a bit, no more swimming in the sea, frying my hair in the sun and washing my hair with whatever. My hair has been through quite a lot this summer, I might even make a thread about it, lol.

Anyway, I have now time and patience for oiling again. I started a week ago, and it has really lessened shedding to minimum. My hair is now softer also, I have been washing it out with conditioner and sometimes a little shampoo on top of that. Also this stuff really made my scalp feel much calmer again, I hope I will stick to it and see some increased growth too!

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention that I'm planning to make a castor oil/coconut oil blend with amla. I have dried amla which I will infuse it with.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights