Thread: I'm trying to grow my hair out after major surgery

Length
    1/18/24
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default I'm trying to grow my hair out after major surgery

Hey guys. I'm trying to grow my hair out after having some major surgery (skin cancer) on my scalp. I know there's nothing I can do about the scarring but I have resigned myself to make the most of what hair I have left. My problem is, every so often, I'll get a stray hair pulled out in some random way (snagged on something or caught under something, etc.). What hair I have is long enough to pull back in a ponytail but a stray still gets loose and pulled out some way. Any thoughts of what else I can try? -Thanks.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: I'm trying to grow my hair out after major surgery

Is your hair long enough to do any sort of non-ponytail updos? I'm thinking buns or braids might be really helpful here. You may have some luck using claw clips to bun your hair back if your hair isn't quite long enough to bun otherwise.

Another alternative might be a satin/silk wrap/scarf/cap. I actually wear one around the house when I just want to keep my hair out of the way and protected. Stay-on-Satin is a good, cheap option for both caps and wraps that are anti-friction. They're really great for sleeping in, too, to help reduce breakage.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

That's exactly the same that I use! Have used them for years and they also work well in the winter under a hood or hat. A Buff maybe?
    Last edited by SandyBottom; May 3rd, 2024 at 05:32 PM.

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Buffs were made for securing hair. Best thing I've found in all my growing years.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Another buff-iac. They are the best.

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

foreveryours, I meant to say that it was you who convinced me to try one-thanks! I've been using it at the beach, on walks, and gardening. I still love my satin bonnet for other situations. I love being in The Buff!
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Wait wait wait... I had to Google to find out what the heck a "buff" was, but I'm intrigued. Are you using a buff for sleeping or day-to-day wear? I want to know more about these mystical, magical, hair wrappy things!
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I'm in the buff every single day all day long I wear my hair wrapped in them from the time I awake until I retire to sleep. Some small amount of hair leaks out around my ears but otherwise (glasses) it's securely contained totally out of the way all day long. No redo's necessary. I sleep with my hair loose hainging freely over the end of my loft.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Messyhair View Post
    Wait wait wait... I had to Google to find out what the heck a "buff" was, but I'm intrigued. Are you using a buff for sleeping or day-to-day wear? I want to know more about these mystical, magical, hair wrappy things!
    I've only had mine maybe a month or so and use it for outside. I spend a ton of time in the sun, on the beach, in the wind and garden. I used to use a satin bonnet in these situations (yes, I had to swallow some pride) and many others. I use the Buff for the outside stuff now because it's more fitted since it's stretchy, which keeps my low bun more up by my head instead of lower neck/upper back. The one I bought has a UPF (UV Protection) of 50. I'm trying to minimize damage to my hair and scalp from the sun and also any sun bleaching (I like my dark hair). It's very versatile and comfortable. There are quick little tutorials that show the different ways they can be worn depending on your style. There are tons of different colors and designs to choose from too.

I still use my satin bonnet for sleeping and anytime around the house. It's great for when I have a migraine because it protects my hair even without a bun, just loose, or for after a shower so there isn't soaking wet hair all down my back. I like the bonnet for under hoods and hats to prevent friction and "hat head". I love both things but for different uses. (Sorry, did that sound like an infomercial?)
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Amazing! I've learned something new! Is a buff different from a snood? I haven't seen a snood worn in so many ways, so I'm thinking maybe they're not as stretchy.
    In a grow and cut cycle...