Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: protein for hair only hides damage

Default Re: keratin amino acid leave in on curls

she told me she did it to give my hair protein my hair is not damaged..... i never use heat on it... she just was messing with **** that didn't need to be messed with.......... i'm so worried it has altered my hard somehow

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: protein for hair only hides damage

I agree, this product will not do permanent damage. It sounds like you really dislike the way it has styled your hair, so I would recommend washing it again like usual.
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶W̶L̶!̶!̶ ....on to hip?

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Mod note: Stop making new threads about the same topic. I've merged them. Stick to this one now.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

filip. Whenever you write here, you seem to be worried about one thing or another damaging your hair. I honestly believe that you can sit back and realax. Your hair can handle a lot more than you think.

One pea sized bit of hair mask that contains a small amount of protein, will not damage or harm your hair. And it will not straighten it.

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

I have washed my hair multiple times since she applied it. I'm worried the keratin aminoacids are stuck on my hair....

The stylist was winding me up, she put the product on under the pretence that my hair needed protein when it absolutely didn't.

I never use heart on my hair there is barely any damage to it, yet she just wanted seem impressive. I don't follow any Curly Girl Method. I find shampoo and conditioner suffices I use palmers olive oil 3 set shampo conditioner and leave in and it has worked fine for me.

I just go in there my hair maybe was a bit dry from being out in the wind bit frizzy and she just starts trying to lecture me on a load of crap.

She actually thought that hair can asorb protein and I had to tell her online that It can't, the aminoacids only fill in gaps or coat the hair in a layer just like silicones, weighing the hair down. With fine curls like mine that is really not helpful, weighing it down is not in my interest at all. Also it leads to hair fall because of the increase in pull, it's really terrible for the hair.

That's why i got so upset, I tried washing the lengths of my hair, I haven;t used a clarifying shampooo I bought the joico one though that is meant to be gentle. I live in hard water area so I was thinking of doing it anyway, my hair looks so much nicer in soft water areas.

But yeah I'm just feeling paranoid that the amino acids have permanently coated my very fine hair. My hair is quite curly bit very fine so it's a bit unusual i guess, it's only thick when it clumps together in curls but each hair itself is pretty fine, most people with straight hair have thicker cuticles.

My hair doesn't have a problem curling it usually needs sebum and just a bit of conditioner. As long as it's not lacking too much moisture it's fine, it don't need no protein. The woman starterd lecturing me abput protein and moistur, the hair is protein how can you add more protein to it you can only coat it in protein which is a bit stupid unless you're hair is super damaged and you need to hide the damage or something... am i wrong?!

Thank you for your replies

Phillip

in fact my hair is so curly it curls even if i don;t use conditioner maybe not as bouncy or whatever, it also can depend on humidity and stuff like that. It made me really angry that she put all this weird keratin amino acid leave in because all that's going to do is make it straighter it's obvious... the woman is a fool yet says she knows the CG method, well imho that is like a cult i don't think it's scientific.... i think if u really have curly hair u don't need no method, it's pretty simple u just add moistyure for better curls unless you have really damaged hair i don't think any complex method is required.......... She doesn't have curly hair herself then when I sent her a selfie of me with my curls looking really defined a few years back when my hair was shorter and told her i jsut use shamooo and conditioner she was really sarcastic to me saying your so perfect then you don't need to follow my advice blah boah.... and i was like well i never asked for your advice in the first place! i just came in for a cut never expressed anything about my curl pattern to her or anything..... she took it upon herself to put the leave in on my hair saying she wanted to help me and then starrted lecturing me about moiture and protein...... it was really annoying because i could tell she just read the cg method online and thinks she knows it all...... i wouldn't put keratin leave in on a curly haired person unless they have very thick hair which i don't......
    Last edited by filip; April 29th, 2024 at 07:39 AM.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

1. It's not forever stuck in your hair. You'll have washed it out by now.

2. It's such a little amount of protein in a hair mask that it will not make your hair straight. It's not a protein treatment. It's a hair mask, with a small amount of protein in it.

3. Yes there are absolutely people who likes protein for their hair, even if it's not damaged. People have different hair with different needs. It's like with moisture and fat. Some peoples hair gets over moisturized very easily, while mine could probably bathe in moisture and oil and be a happy hair.

4. You may not like thh curly girl method and that's fine. But you'll have to accept that some peole actually does like it. Just because you put ten peole with curls in a room, it doesn't mean that all ten could care for their hair the same way. There could very well be a need for ten different methods, for these ten people.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

As for the actual experience with the stylist. I'm sorry that you found it hard.

I also don't agree with most hairdresser's about their recommended products. The often reccomend lots of silicones and say that sulfates are a must. My hair and scalp doesn't like it. I don't go to hairdressers anymore. I trim and care for my own hair. If I were to go, I would probably tell them that I am here for a trim and I don't want any product reccomendations or tips. If I would still get them, I would just ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    1. It's not forever stuck in your hair. You'll have washed it out by now.

2. It's such a little amount of protein in a hair mask that it will not make your hair straight. It's not a protein treatment. It's a hair mask, with a small amount of protein in it.

3. Yes there are absolutely people who likes protein for their hair, even if it's not damaged. People have different hair with different needs. It's like with moisture and fat. Some peoples hair gets over moisturized very easily, while mine could probably bathe in moisture and oil and be a happy hair.

4. You may not like thh curly girl method and that's fine. But you'll have to accept that some peole actually does like it. Just because you put ten peole with curls in a room, it doesn't mean that all ten could care for their hair the same way. There could very well be a need for ten different methods, for these ten people.
    I don't know much about the curly girl method, I just know that most people don't need protein unless they heat style their hair because all it is doing is adding a layer of protein to your hair or fills in the gaps (such as the claim that keratin amino acids are small enough to do this) I have my doubts though, probably just coats the hair. Also on top of that a lot of these protein treatment contain conditioning agents too, so they make the hair look better. I haven't studied protein treatments and opalex but I did some reading online and some people who have studied it, confirmed that most of these protein treatments just coat the hair and I've read it as stated fact that's impossible to add protein to the inner cortex of the hair. I think it's all just marketing stuff to hide damage, unless your hair is really damaged or you want hair that doesn't get frizzy in high humidity you most likely don't need anything like a protein treatment of any kind. I think going simpler is always better as you don't get build up on your hair which is not good for anyone.