Thread: Why do you use natural haircare?

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Why do you use natural haircare?

Hello all! I know everyone's experiences and thoughts are very different, so I just found myself wanting to know: if you use natural haircare, either exclusively or in combination with conventional haircare, why do you like it?

Personally, I started getting into natural haircare because I was looking for ways to live more sustainably, and it tends to be more environmentally friendly (though not universally, of course). Things like oils and herbs, or natural products with few ingredients, tend to have shorter supply chains--so, less CO2 from shipping ingredients, less packaging waste, etc. Plus, natural stuff tends to be packaged more sustainably on the consumer end, too.

Once I started using natural products, I noticed that my hair responded better to them right away. It turns out that shampoo of any kind makes my lightweight hair super frizzy, and silicones simultaneously aren't enough to weigh down the frizz, and take the verve right out of my waves. I was left with a semi-straight, floaty, fuzzy mess that wouldn't stay in an updo and didn't look good down. By contrast, co-washing every few weeks with a natural conditioner bar and using oils on my ends has turned out to be a great routine for me that brings out my natural texture. Bonus: my baseline haircare routine is super cheap and low-maintenance.

Finally, I just love the aesthetics and sensory experience of using natural haircare. I love the way it connects me to people across cultures and throughout history, and that I can use the same products as queens of bygone eras or fantasy elf lords. I love the self-care element of it, and the fact that I know exactly what I'm using and where it came from. I love the scents, textures, and the hands-on, DIY experimentation element.

So yeah! How about y'all?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Why do you use natural haircare?

The only natural item that I use is an oil, for the oil rinse (see signature) after I wash my hair. But that's about it. Yes, I experimented, and yes I had to say no in the end. It's... not for me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Because I assume they are not tested on animals...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    Because I assume they are not tested on animals...
    Oh, it pays to check, though! Not every product is created equal.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

lapushka, for sure, the natural stuff definitely isn't for everyone! And I totally agree--Priska, it's worth checking if it's something you're concerned about. It's surprising how many natural brands don't really provide much info about whether they do or don't test on animals, and for me, that silence makes me wonder

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Initially I started using natural products because it aligns with my values. I try to be sustainable whenever I can. I did experiment with mainstream products, and found that they don't usually work well for my hair. Silicones seem to make my hair tangly and I also dislike most artificial scents. So I stick with my natural stuff.

Length
    ~Chin/TBL+/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

After plenty of experimentation with commercial conditioners, I’m back to using this type of product again.

*I really prefer the fragrances. I think I might have a sensitivity or allergy to some fragrances (parfum). I can use more (not all) natural ones without issue.
    *On average, they tend to feel more nourishing for my hair. For instance, with commercial conditioners, my hair sometimes gets staticky. I never have static otherwise.
    *Many are cruelty free.
    *There are more silicone free options.
    *There more shampoo options without sulfates that work for my sensitive scalp.
    *I also like camellia and argan oil.

ETA: I don’t exclusively use natural products, but these are a few of the reasons that I tend to gravitate towards them. Also, I’m not entirely certain what would qualify as a natural product, so I’m just thinking of options at local co-ops versus places like Target.
    Last edited by AshtangiPNW; May 10th, 2022 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Clarification

Length
    20/52/60
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

It depends on what it is, conditioners and masks are something that doesn't work for me in the natural haircare section, they're all too lightweight. Shampoo wise, Aubrey organics and Acure have shampoos that are great. But I use organnic sometimes just due to the ingredients, my hair likes coconut and aloe and those are in most organic lines

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

My hair and scalp really prefer the shampoo bars. I had okay luck with "natural" commercial shampoos and conditioners for my length but my scalp was itchy using mainstream brands. I use toothpaste that doesn't foam too much as well because otherwise I get canker sores so I suspect I am just sensitive to sulphates. I do also like supporting a smaller business and the more sustainable packaging although I have to mail order them anyhow. But I generally make a large order and stock up every few years.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I think I've gone through a few reasons. Initially it was a combination of finding it quite romantic, picking herbs and using them for my skin and hair, but also I found they just worked well. I'd go through various commercial products to fix problems with little to no success, then I'd try a natural normally homemade product and would get great results.
    I think the most dramatic example was when I was in my early teens. I'd been struggling with a flaky scalp for years and then I read in an old (very old!) book to use rosemary rinses. My mother always kept a herb garden and our rosemary bush was quite big so it was an easy one to try. After one application doing the rinse I had a clear, flake free scalp and it stayed that way. Over the years after that I learned more and more, cleared up my acne by oiling my skin and doing honey face masks when using acne products and even being put on antibiotics by my doctor to try and treat it failed.

I did go through a period of being exclusively natural for a while and it did work really well. I focused on Indian herbs and oils for my hair care and my hair grew really fast and got a lot thicker. The problem was the effort involved, mixing up the different concoctions, spending hours, even all day on a wash routine, it ended up just being a bit too much for me to maintain.

Now I tend to mix it up a bit. There are commercial products that would not be considered "natural" even ones containing sulphates and silicones that I like and use but I also still love the oils, essential oils, henna, herb rinses etc and they are still my go to solution for fixing problems. But I enjoy the convenience of buying ready made products. My biggest issue with the commercial products, on a very personal level, is discontinuing or reformulating products. I'll find one I like, then it changes or becomes unavailable. I like the control and certainty making your own hair and skincare products gives you, particularly once you have learned what works well and suits your needs.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.