Page 21 of 529 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121521 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

hi ktani!!

i tried honey again this weekend and thanks again ktani it is much better than all the chemical dyes..

i did put:
    2 tbs honey diluted 50:50 in water
    Yogurt almost equal to the honey
    some coconut oil -to avoid the drying effect of yogurt..

i mixed them all and wrapped them all with nylon and left it for over 3 hours.

the result:
    before : my hair was getting red as i am using different oils..
    after : lighter color shade, and less reddish tone -perhaps i still need few more sessions!!!

i really loved the result though my hair felt a little bit dry at the ends -i think due to the yogurt i think i'm going to do it again and again

a small question: do you think sitting under the sun while applying any honey recipe will give better results?

oooops!! i have just remembered i should have applied it on wet hair!! i applied it on dry hair!!
    Last edited by Palms; April 6th, 2008 at 04:02 AM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Honey thread

Palms

Thank you for your feedback, recipe and method.

Sunlight is not recommended for honey lightening and is not necessary.

Sorry to hear about the dryness.

A weak vinegar rinse should help that, even if it was the result of the yogurt.

You could try a bit of EVOO instead of coconut oil and coconut cream instead of yogurt.

Honey lightening treatments can work on dry hair as long as there is enough water in the mix - wet hair is recommended.
    Last edited by ktani; April 6th, 2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added text

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

ktani - Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that recipe. I think I meant to say "conditioner" instead of "honey" one of those times.
    I slept in it because I am terribly impatient. If I had put it on in the day, I would wash it off in just an hour.

So... I let the honey mix sit for around 8 hours. I can't tell if it lightened (I think it did, just a little bit) but it did make my hair incredibly soft and silky. I'll definitely try this again.
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Default Honey thread

AnneAdeline

No worries about the recipe - I edit all the time - spelling and added text mostly - no matter how hard I try to do it right the first time.

Thank you for the correction and for posting your results.

I am pleased for you that your hair is so soft and that you might have some lightening.

Spices are the latest honey boosters being tested - cinnamon being the first - and the results are IMO - very impressive.

If you do try a spice - I recommend going easy on the quantity - and patch test first for skin sensitivity and allergies.
    Last edited by ktani; April 6th, 2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    wintersun99
    Thank you for posting your recipe details and the product names.
    I am glad to read that you are so pleased with the results over all.
    Peroxide lightening doesn't usually result in henna re oxidizing from previous reports - please let me know if your color continues to change between honey lightening treatments.
    Hi ktani and thank you for the PM. I think I will have to subscribe to this thread to stay on top of it

I am doing a second mix this afternoon (since it is snowing and I'm staying home) and going forward I will probably use this mix once or twice a week. To be consistent, I will use the same mix without alteration and keep track of it in my journal. I will definitely measure the ingredients today, so that I have consistent proportions and I will take a picture in a month. In the meantime, I will be watching this thread daily. Cheers

Default Honey thread

wintersun99

The thread is growing rapidly - I might just start a Honey II thread - the continuation - at some point in the future.

I am very curious about the colour changes you wrote about between the time you rinsed/washed off the treatment and the next day - please keep me informed how that goes.

I look forward to your continued results.

ktani,
    I used 30v peroxide on my henna+indigo hair, following the experiments of Shermie Girl and Iris. I was hoping that it would help to lighten my nearly black indigo'd parts. My re-growth, I had just been henna'ing, so approximately 3-4" did not have indigo on it. The 30v peroxide significantly lightened the henna'd part of the hair to light golden red, it did nothing for the indigo. Since that time, I had applied 2 henna glosses. So, after using this mix last night, I noticed that my roots (right after rinsing and drying) looked like they did post peroxide/pre-henna gloss. However, by the morning the roots had returned to a darker reddish-brown, hence my thought that the henna had re-oxidized. So, I will definitely continue to watch them as the month goes on.

I would suspect that with all of these people using various mixes it may certainly be time to do a "results" thread in the next month, or so

Default Honey thread

wintersun99

Thank you for getting back to me on that in detail.

Honey lightening has not been reported to redarken on hennaed hair - iris had her hair redarken after trying honey lightening but was not sure what may have caused it.

I was also at a loss to understand it - honey was not necessarily considered to be the cause but it was curious and now it gets even more so.

I took another look at your recipe - I do not know why your results happened that way - very interesting.
    Last edited by ktani; April 6th, 2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: clarification

Length
    n/a/37"/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I apologize for this very long post. A few weeks ago, I asked about egg in honey lightening treatments and got some great advice about things to try. Unfortunately I have not had any success, but I thought I’d report back anyway. I have trouble with standing turbies for several hours, so I have not done any more treatment. However, I have played around with strand tests, to get a hint of how long I would need to leave the mix on my head to get a noticeable lightening.

I made three test strands from shed hair. All three were washed with diluted SLES ‘poo before the test. One was then put aside for comparision. I first tried the coconut cream recipe. Coconut cream is not available here so I used full fat coconut milk instead, mixed about 1:1 with the honey. I put the two remaining, damp and freshly washed, test strands in the mix and covered with plastic. Four hours later I removed the first strand. However, I saw no change so I went back and added some water to the mix to make sure the honey was enough diluted. I also left the second strand for nine hours instead of eight hours. Still no change.

Then I was thinking about the honey – this was the very cheapest brand available, and though other cheap brands are reported to work I thought perhaps this one had been heat processed somewhere along the way. Went to the store and bought a more expensive, local produced honey. I repeated the first test in detail, but none of the strands showed any lightening at all.

Third and last attempt: the more expensive honey, double the amount this time, first diluted in a small amount of water so I could see for sure that it was completely dissolved. Then I added coconut milk, cardamom and a small amount of EVOO. This time I washed the test strands without diluting the ‘poo, and left them for 4h and 9h as before. No change. Not even a hint of a change – and I have checked them in different light as well. All strands were marked so there is no way I could have mixed them up with each other. And I used the same test strands for all experiments – one of them has thus been in honey mixes for more than a day in total.

The conclusion: either my hair is very resistant to peroxide bleaching, or both honey brands has too low peroxide value to count with. I will not make any more attempt of honey lightening unless I would happen to come across some guaranteed raw honey. However, I will continue to use honey for its conditioning benefits. If I on a long term basis would get some lightening, fine, if not, that’s fine too. I’m quite happy with my hair colour (even though it’s somewhat darker and more to the dishwater blonde during winters – hence the honey experiments). And I’m sort of relieved too – this means that I will not have to leave the treatments on my head for more than an hour in the future.

1c/2a/F/ii, current length 37"
    BCL (37") reached! Next minigoal: TBL (40"). Final goal: Terminal

Default Honey thread

Meli

Thank you for your feedback and in such detail - your long post is excellent in its thoroughness IMO - no apology necessary.

I am sorry to read that you got no lightening but I am pleased for you that honey conditions your hair so well.

It seems to me, that in Europe, buying a honey that produces enough peroxide to make a difference in the treatments, appears to be more difficult.

Cheaper brands of honey, here in North America, have from reports, worked very well for honey lightening.

I do not think that it is your hair that has been the problem.

iris calculated from her information, in the original Honey thread, that there is approximately a 15% chance of buying honey that produces little to almost no peroxide and that is just based on the plant source of the honey.

It may be that here in North America, the plants are somehow treated or cultivated differently, or blends of plant sources - varieties of the same plant perhaps, are used as sources for honey - just a theory.

I know that one brand of honey, here in Canada, uses blends of floral sources for example, for their honey.

"White clover, alsike clover and the white and yellow sweet clovers ... important for honey production." See "It All Depends On Where The Bees Buzz"
    http://www.billybee.com/en/infocentr...rflavour.shtml
    Last edited by ktani; April 7th, 2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: grammar