Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Honey thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    So I tried this again using a half of a cup of honey to two cups of water.

I boiled a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a half of teaspoon of ground clove in the water first and then let it get room temperature and strained it.

After it was room temp & strained, I mixed it with the honey and 1/4 cup of olive oil.

It was way too much for my hair so I know to half everything next time and that will be enough.

(I made so much because I wasn't sure if less would be enough for some reason)

It left my hair really soft and shiney & it looks a little lighter to me but nothing dramatic. It kind of brings out natural, very subtle highlights.

I used the same honey as last time.
    Gabriel

Thank you for your update and recipe.

Your dilution was right on the mark.

However - by boiling the cinnamon - you destroyed the peroxide in it - making it useless to the recipe.

High heat negatively affects hydrogen peroxide. Do not use any heat (except body heat when the treatment is on your hair and covered) with the peroxide ingredients.

Ground cloves, while aromatic, contain very little peroxide and clove is an irritant - by boiling both it and the cinnamon - they added nothing to the recipe IMO.

Here is information I posted previously, in addition to other research I have read and posted that stated no external heat is to be used with honey to not affect its peroxide level - this IMO, applies to the whole honey lightening treatment - just body heat is recommended, which has been reported in the honey and wound research, to not affect the enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide in honey or the peroxide itself.

"Hydrogen peroxide .... contact with heat, will usually decompose into water and oxygen..."
    http://web1.caryacademy.org/chemistr...oxide/home.htm

Pasteurization does not use a high enough heat for a long enough period of time to affect the crucial enzyme in honey.

Pasteurized honey has worked very well, based on reports, for honey lightening.

It is about the degree of heat and the time applied. If what you had done did not affect the cinnamon IMO, your results would have been better.

To be on the safe side of the heat issue and peroxide - avoid it except as I have said, for body heat.

I am glad that you got some lightening from the honey.
    Last edited by ktani; May 30th, 2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: clarification