Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing with Eczema/Dermatitis/Etc

Length
    SL/APL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Dealing with Eczema/Dermatitis/Etc

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I donīt have SD or any "real"/serious scalp problems so please pay more attention to those people who actually have personal experience and have already given good advice, but I just wanted to add a caution regarding aloe vera - I get itchiness from that, wherever I use it, and from what I have heard it is not so uncommon to be sensitive to aloe. So please use that with caution since if I read correctly you did get itchy after applying aloe, even if it is hard to know exactly which of the produts, or what, was the cause in that case.

Otherwise I would also recommend trying Nizoral or something similar to start with. If you would like to try something more "DIY", honey has been nice and calming for my acne-prone, sensitive facial skin, and also oatmeal (ground into powder and soaked). See this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=1#post3025391 where the thread starter has reported that oatmeal added to her shampoo reduced itchiness. I know that there are commercial skin products containing oatmeal extracts for sensitive skin, so there should be something "for real" that is good in it!

I hope you find something that works, good luck!

Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Don't freak out - especially as you have OCD - but you might want to look into the forums and information online regarding Demodex mites. We ALL have these, absolutely everybody, they live at the base of our hair follicles, but sometimes they get out of control. They have been linked to acne and other skin problems. You can't eradicate them - our bodies probably need them in a symbiotic relationship like the bacteria we have inside and out - but their numbers can be reduced - and most reduction involves the use of tea tree oil. Crazy itching and skin rash can be a sign of it. Inflamed eyelids, losing lashes and very gummy eyes after waking also a sign. I am suggesting this as a possibility, so read up, take a long time and sieve through the information on it with a mental pinch of salt, but it could be your issue. Very, very best of luck.

Type
    3c/4a/C/ii

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did a process of elimination and have been using Lily of The Desert Aloe Vera Gelly for some days now and it has completely healed my scalp and I don't have any more intense itching. I do not rinse it off. I leave it on and reapply once a day. I wash my scalp with Dial Baby Body Wash Unscented every 3rd day. This seems like a big breakthrough. I think the Aloe Vera Gelly works so well because it dries my scalp out and keeps away the oiliness. I think the dove unscented bar soap was causing my pores to get clogged and the apple cider vinegar was making my rashes worse and scalp worse. I avoid it.
    Last edited by Soullurre; June 22nd, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
    OS pattern - Medium strands - Spongy Texture - High Density - 3c/4a Hair type
    My hair loves gels.

Length
    SL/APL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Really great to hear that you found something that helped, and that aloe works for you!

Hi,
    I've never been to dermatologist because of my scalp, but I have had dermatitis diagnosed on my face and more often than not, I have very sensitive and itchy scalp. At the beginning of this year I had severe itch and burning sensation on my scalp and I also felt some pain even if I didn't touch it. I didn't go to the doctor because I wasn't in my country if residence at that time, but I experimented with what I had. I was massaging my scalp with onion juice twice a week and I occasionally oiled it.
    After a couple of weeks it was completely fine, I can't even remember when my scalp had been that healthy (dandruff and itch free) before. After I stopped applying onion juice, it gradually got worse again, but not as bad as it used to be. Right now I'm doing inversion method challenge, so I'm oiling my scalp daily. It's day 3 today, and my scalp already feels much healthier. The itch and dandruff are gone. I'm using a mix of coconut, jojoba, olive, castor, peppermint, tea tree, lavender and neem oil. I think what helps me the most, are oils with cooling effect, such as peppermint and tea tree oil.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Soullurre View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I did a process of elimination and have been using Lily of The Desert Aloe Vera Gelly for some days now and it has completely healed my scalp and I don't have any more intense itching. I do not rinse it off. I leave it on and reapply once a day. I wash my scalp with Dial Baby Body Wash Unscented every 3rd day. This seems like a big breakthrough. I think the Aloe Vera Gelly works so well because it dries my scalp out and keeps away the oiliness. I think the dove unscented bar soap was causing my pores to get clogged and the apple cider vinegar was making my rashes worse and scalp worse. I avoid it.
    Oh, I'm so glad your scalp healed up and you found something that works! I really, really hope that this is the beginning of the end of your skin problems. Good luck!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    2"/TBL/???
    Type
    4c/F/iii

Maybe you can try using just one natural product on your hair. You seem to use a lot of products and it'll be hard for you to tell what is making your condition worse/better. If you use only one hair moisturizer and one shampoo then you will be able to pinpoint the culprit, I think.

Length
    21in/36in/40in
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I worry that the apple cider vinegar was too strong of a mix, if you are wanting to use it again try just a few spoon fulls instead of inches. I know anytime my mix is too strong then I get the itchies.
    Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might have the Hair I wish for tonight!

Length
    10.5"/CBL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

^Seconding this. I have eczema as well, but never on my scalp. My body, and if I'm lucky, my face. I used an ACV toner once during a misguided, "ALL NATURAL ERRTHANG" phase that wasn't diluted enough. Hello, scaly red patches!
    Lady Vineglow, Sage of Knowledge, Bottle Blonde Cat-Lady of The Order of the Long Haired Knights!