Default Honey thread

kimki

I look forward to your new results.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Honey thread

Bunnyears

I did not answer all of your questions.

It is possible that the buckwheat honey you used has enough Vitamin C in it to be a problem. That may be why you did not get results from honey and water alone.

The golden colour you mentioned IMO, is a result of chamomile not honey - honey has not been reported to add a colour of its own to the hair - from my own experience with chamomile - and you made a strong tea - chamomile can.

A far as using 2 spices at once - yes, you can mix cinnamon with cardamom - however caution is advised on not using too much - both can be irritants.
    Last edited by ktani; May 24th, 2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks so much, ktani! Great info on buckwheat and chamomile.

Now as to the condition: well, I only wash my hair once a week, but because I wanted to lighten my hair so desperately, I decided to do it everyday. Well, until I started adding olive oil (two last times) I only rinsed the honey and conditioned without shampooing. With the olive oil, I had to clarify twice - and I don't love EVOO, it's very heavy, imo. So m hair feels less silky than it did with just honey/water now that I had to clarify the oil, plus I honestly think that having wet hair everyday and letting it airdry is just stressful for the shaft.

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I apologize that I ask something that probably is stated somewhere in the thread, but I don't have time today to search for it; should the 1:4 honey-water mix be applied to dry or washed hair?

Default Honey thread

Exodus

No worries - I answer all questions if I can.

You can use the 4 parts water to 1 part honey or dry hair, freshly washed hair or not.

I recommend using it on freshly washed, clarified if neccessary, wet hair.

Default Honey thread

I have a theory that not only the peroxide produced by honey, but also the peroxide produced by plants is non damaging to human cells and therefore also non damaging to hair.

This theory has been supported so far by the reports in the Honey threads, of non damage to hair from honey lightening. I wanted more support.

I found it.

Honey contains phenolic acids and flavonoids.

“Flavonoids .... known to inhibit LDL oxidation through both metal chelation and free radical scavenging mechanisms, whereas phenolic acids act as antioxidant by free radical trapping mechanism …. Palm honey is the richest one in aromatic acids and Coriander and Sider honeys are the richest in flavonoids.”
    http://ecam.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/nem071v1

So does cinnamon, and cardamom

Antioxidant phenolics and flavonoids in common Indian foods.
    High flavonoid content .... present in …. cinnamon …. Medium levels .... found in …. cardamom ....”
    http://www.raysahelian.com/cardamom.html

olive oil

"Olive oil may also benefit the blood itself …. Italian in vitro study found olive oil flavonoids could inhibit aggregation of human platelets ….”
    http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/articles/circulation-heart-vascular,p4.html

And coconut oil

“Phenolic compounds present in the nonsaponifiable fraction of coconut oil ....”
    http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2006.01493.x

“Flavonoids …. reported to exhibit a wide variety of biological effects, including antioxidant and free radical-scavenging activities.
    …. preincubation with the flavonoids before H2O2 exposure significantly .... protected .... cells against H2O2-induced DNA damage.”
    http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a785829746~db=all

Flavonoid and phenolic compounds in honey and the peroxide oil and spice boosters help protect human cells from damage from hydrogen peroxide. I believe that this extends to hair.
    Last edited by ktani; November 14th, 2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Ktani, I'm sitting here with another mix, similar recipe and application, with just two exceptions.
    1. I decided to try adding some cornstarch to thicken. Just a heaping spoonful.
    2. I applied it to dry hair that I washed yesterday. (I don't like to wash everyday, so I figured I'd try it out)
    Just wanted to let you know!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Default Honey thread

DolphinPrincess

Offhand, I have no idea what cornstarch will do or how it will affect the recipe.

Applying the honey lightening treatment to dry hair should not be a problem IMO, as long as it is the 4 parts water to 1 part honey dilution.

Good luck and please update.
    Last edited by ktani; May 26th, 2008 at 01:00 AM. Reason: punctuation

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Well, the cornstarch did thicken it like I hoped, but I still had some drippies, nothing compared to what I had before though. It actually washed out easier than ever! We'll see if it did anything color-related as soon as it's dry (won't be online til tomorrow, as I have to go to bed soon) but I will report back soon!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Default Honey thread

DolphinPrincess

Sleep well.

I look forward to your report.