Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you collect your shed hair????

Length
    0-2/37/42
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Do you collect your shed hair????

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    I collect mine straight from the comb, and yes, I wash it.
    Thank you for the answer. It's definitely a smart way to add hair to a hairdo, as it can't get more natural-looking than one's own hair. Do you clip the hair together with something, like a ribbon or a small elastic?
    ...Did anybody say purple?!
    CBL APL MBL Waist Hip TBL Classic

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I have it held together with a bulldog clip at the moment until I have enough hair to make a ponytail with. I will then either use an elastic to hold it or make a weft and roll that to make a ponytail.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Default Re: Do you collect your shedded hair????

I have never kept mine i just throw it as seeing it would make me see how much i am shedding,but then again its sounds like a good idea to add back to the hair never really thought of that idea before and its got me thinking...

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Sarahlabyrinth, I'd love to see photos of what you've gathered so far Do share some! I really like this idea but as I mentioned before... dust>hair.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I have this much after not quite two weeks of saving it. It's amazing how it mounts up.

JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    2a/F/i

Not really. I stick them to the shower wall and forget about them until my mom yells at me to clean the hair wads off the wall. lol

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Wow, it really does add up It's impressive! Thanks for sharing, Sarahlabyrinth

Length
    24"/24"/36"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Collecting shed hair to sell/wear as extensions

The longer my hair grew, the more noticeable my shedding was. I thought I was losing my hair, but it was merely the long length that made the strands more obvious on the floor. For years, I would collect handfuls off the floor to throw away because otherwise they'd get stuck in the vacuum cleaner. I would feel them between my fingers and notice that they were still nice and soft, and thought I probably wouldn't mind using these as extensions. Once in a while I would see the sheer volume of it and wonder if I could just sell them, but never gave it a serious thought.

Now that my hair is waist length and I want to buy nice things for myself, I wondered about selling my hair once it got to my knees. Yet, I didn't want to really part with my hair. As I was picking up loose strands off the floor, I noticed how long they were. Then I wondered if it would be worth the hassle to collect enough strands to build a good long ponytail and then sell that.

The average person sheds 100 strands a day, and the ponytails of hair sold probably have about 70,000 strands in it. Assuming that a person is able to save at least 50 strands a day, it will take 4 years to make the average ponytail to sell. It takes 2 years to grow hair to a sellable length (12 inch), so the wait isn't too bad to sell shed hair, especially considering that you don't have to cut your own hair off. What's even better is if your family members and roommates also contribute to the stash, especially with similar hair types. 4 people collecting hair, even with different shades, will quicken the process of making a ponytail. So in a year, maybe the house can buy a new TV with the money.

Has anyone done it before?

Length
    Ear/APL/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: Collecting shed hair to sell/wear as extensions

I wasn't even aware that anyone would consider buying shed hair.

Length
    24"/24"/36"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: Collecting shed hair to sell/wear as extensions

It's definitely a thing, it's just that you can't label it as Remy hair. I align mine in all the same direction though. If you don't sell it, you can still make your own extensions out of it or even donate it.

I know, it's peculiar but maybe it will turn out to be a good idea. People in the past, like in Europe and Asia, used to do this to make their own extensions and wigs. Anyone else want to give it a shot?