Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: damage=more waves/curls?

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Could someone please explain to me the curly/straight rating system. I didnt know when I registered so I just guessed.

thank you
    Fran

Length
    25"/40"/40"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelSpring View Post
    Could someone please explain to me the curly/straight rating system. I didnt know when I registered so I just guessed.

thank you
    Fran
    Here's a link that explains the hair typing system.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie View Post
    I... I seem to remember my virgin hair being more 3a...maybe even with some 2c waves... But it's been ten years since I've seen it and I didn't know how to make my hair be anything but a frizzball until after I started coloring...

After bleaching, my hair flattens out and refuses to curl. Instead, it frizzes like mad and makes 1c/2a waves. I've never noticed a texture difference immediately after a semi/demi/permanent chemical dye. I just went looking at Fia's visual hairtyping system and found that I'm pretty firmly in the 3b/c category. Some days there's a bit of 3a in there, but rarely.

Then we'll see what my -real- texture is.... in a year or two... **crosses fingers and hopes for the 2c/3a hair she's always dreamed of having**
    Let me do some math here. Ten years ago you were 12 right? It might be that puberty changed your hair type, I'm not trying to hex you it just came to mind.. And don't let the after bleach hair scare you.. It's really no wonder why your hair responds that way to bleach. Since it is the harhest hair coloring method, and it is designed to remove all pigment out of the hair. I think you'll grow your 3a mane back.

Quote Originally Posted by teela1978 View Post
    I often wonder if dying opens up the cuticle, allowing for better moisturizing of the hair. My hair doesn't take dye very well, making me think it's not particularly porus. Once it's been dyed it fades like crazy though, indicating that those cuticles are still more open than closed.

I find that I get a little more wave if I do a deep treatment on my virgin hair, but nothing compared to my well-treated but previously dyed hair.
    You're on the right track here! But can I add that dying usually leaves the cuticle open so even if it allows more moisture into the hair it still doesn't retain it as well (Because the cuticles aren't stopping the moisture going out the same way as they aren't hindering it from coming inside the hair.). Basicly it escapes more easily. The same with larger molechules inserted in to the hair, they escape more easily too, which might be for examle.. hair color. Extremely damaged hair doesn't even hold permanent color inside without multiple pre-colorings. Though there is the possibility that if someone's hair has naturally really tight cuticles, that it's moisture levels could be improved by opening up the cuticle a bit. But if ones cutice is so tight I don't think it would let all that much moisture out either.

You said your hair fades easily, so I'm thinking it just might be porous. But there are several other reasons that contribute to color fading fast or not sticking. But I'm not going to go at lenght here since this thread isn't about how-to-color.
    Could you do a porosity test? I would be really interested to hear how it went. And hoping to be wrong, since different people consider fading speed differently.

Since your hair type is 1c it's naturally more straight than wavy, so it's no wonder if it get's more wave when moisturized + damaged than moisturized + virgin. The damage made your hair keratin (protein) loose it's naturally shape and wave more. I mean moisture = improved elasticity, but with virgin hair it's restricted by the disulfide bonds, in damaged hair disulfide bonds broken -> more room to wave. I don't know if I voiced out my thoughts right,but it makes sense in my head.

Hi-jacking a bit. You lot are making me blush.
    Last edited by savi; March 14th, 2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: elasticity added.
    Lady Illmater Mother of Väinämöinen in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Hahaha Savi - I don't mind hijacking in the least! Besides, your explainations (while going somewhat over my head) are interesting nontheless

This has turned into quite the diverse thread!

January 2016

Length
    17?/close/WAIST
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/i

my hair is wurlier the healthier it gets, but at the top of my head it still isn't that much so, but my hair LOVES moisture and when there is enough its wurly, and holds curl, when there isn't nothing I do will make it hold.. and that goes back to heat styling and chemical usage days.. back then it was more too dry then it ever is today though.
    http://gliders.phoenix.org - our sugar glider info page

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by maskedrose View Post
    Hahaha Savi - I don't mind hijacking in the least! Besides, your explainations (while going somewhat over my head) are interesting nontheless

This has turned into quite the diverse thread!
    What can I say, I think in strange ways. I just like to research stuff and then I go into too much detail..
    Lady Illmater Mother of Väinämöinen in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

When my hair was BSL, anything below my ears had been dyed 5 or more times and flat ironed and was 2a after I stopped doing those things.

Now that I've cut my hair, my fringe is brow length and the sides are about half way down my ears, its 1b, and once long again, probably no more wavier than 1c.

I'm happy with this though, 1c is my favourite hair type .