Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: We Have New Moderators!

Length
    1"/36"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Default Re: We Have New Moderators!

It's not easy being green. Thank you to all the moderators!

Length
    BSL/CL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Congratulations! I am purely curious, what goes into being a moderator? I'm sure it's more than outwardly apparent.
    You are a beautiful creation! Psalm 139

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by elise.autumn View Post
    Congratulations! I am purely curious, what goes into being a moderator? I'm sure it's more than outwardly apparent.
    All sorts of things! Happily we don't get a ton of contentious threads or posters here compared to more rowdy places on the internet, but that is probably what most people think of and that is one of our roles. Sometimes we do need to wade in and remind people of our KNIT policy in threads that have veered a bit sideways or keep an eye on slippery topic threads. We also keep an eye out for one handed surfers and people trying to buy hair. What we deal with a great deal more is actually spam! Most reports here are nothing bad. Usually it is more things like asking us to fix typos in a title or update swap board board titles, or moving threads that someone accidentally put in the wrong spot, or merging duplicate topics to make it easier to find them. Sometimes people reach out because they have forgotten their username or password or are having technical problems. We do quite a bit of things manually behind the scenes. Sometimes the board itself has technical problems!

Please never feel like you are wasting our time by reporting things! We don't mind. We do love if you can leave a link for threads you think might be potentials to be merged. Fixing typos or updating titles is really quick for us and not a problem at all. We also appreciate when you let us know that a given thread is getting a bit heated since it might be a thread we hadn't seen yet. (And boy oh boy arguments break out sometimes in the strangest of spots!) You might not see what action was taken because infractions are private between mods and members though, just as an FYI. I know I'm a pretty regular blabberfingers, but even I don't read every single thread on the forum You can also use it to blow off steam if you just need to vent or write us poetry. We read every report.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    All sorts of things! Happily we don't get a ton of contentious threads or posters here compared to more rowdy places on the internet, but that is probably what most people think of and that is one of our roles. Sometimes we do need to wade in and remind people of our KNIT policy in threads that have veered a bit sideways or keep an eye on slippery topic threads. We also keep an eye out for one handed surfers and people trying to buy hair. What we deal with a great deal more is actually spam! Most reports here are nothing bad. Usually it is more things like asking us to fix typos in a title or update swap board board titles, or moving threads that someone accidentally put in the wrong spot, or merging duplicate topics to make it easier to find them. Sometimes people reach out because they have forgotten their username or password or are having technical problems. We do quite a bit of things manually behind the scenes. Sometimes the board itself has technical problems!

Please never feel like you are wasting our time by reporting things! We don't mind. We do love if you can leave a link for threads you think might be potentials to be merged. Fixing typos or updating titles is really quick for us and not a problem at all. We also appreciate when you let us know that a given thread is getting a bit heated since it might be a thread we hadn't seen yet. (And boy oh boy arguments break out sometimes in the strangest of spots!) You might not see what action was taken because infractions are private between mods and members though, just as an FYI. I know I'm a pretty regular blabberfingers, but even I don't read every single thread on the forum You can also use it to blow off steam if you just need to vent or write us poetry. We read every report.
    That is awesome, thank you for saying that! And I'll not waste valuable reporting space, by wishing you all amazing things for the work you do and have done so far right here, you and all of the mod-team. (this seemed like a good occasion)

I have been a mod on a different board and there wasn't that much to do, really, but I think I would get easily swamped and would have drowned in this particular one, had I been asked.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

Congrats Tatsu and Ylva! And thank you for your efforts.

I had completely missed this until I saw Ylva's name pop up in green somewhere.
    A lurker who loves swaps

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

You're all lovely people. Thank you.

Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Calf+

first off congrats I'm happy for you both but I must say that this is the first site I've joined (I've been on many) that don't give members the chance to apply to be moderators, I'm not mad about it Ylva and Tatsu they sure deserve it, but most members (over a year active +) might have liked a chance too, I'm somewhat expecting this post to be ignored, another user in 2014 bought up a similar question and no one bothered to answer it
    Last edited by Bat; December 8th, 2020 at 03:21 AM.
    No Trimming No Dye
    CBL>>>>>APL>>>>>TBL>>>>LCL
    Currently Buzzed

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    first off congrats I'm happy for you both but I must say that this is the first site I've joined (I've been on many) that don't give members the chance to apply to be moderators, I'm not mad about it Ylva and Tatsu they sure deserve it, but most members (over a year active +) might have liked a chance too, I'm somewhat expecting this post to be ignored, another user in 2014 bought up a similar question and no one bothered to answer it
    I think the mod team just "feels" on the board in general who is best suited and how people are "accepted" mostly. I think that's for sure the best way, not that it is any of our business how that goes () but I think they take it *all* into account. I mean I would have liked to have had a chance at it, but I know I can't so that is why I take it upon myself to keep an eye out (without being overzealous) and report things if things seem fishy around this place, not that that often happens though; the mods do a good job!

You could do something like that, Bat!

I for one think Ylva & Tatsu are great choices!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I don't know how much I am allowed to tell about the process, so if a "senior" mod would like to come and answer this, that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    --- report things if things seem fishy around this place

You could do something like that, Bat!
    Yes, even though I'm by no means accustomed to this yet or have even done anything useful, I can already tell that reports by regular members play a very big role in managing the forum! So please report things.
    Last edited by Ylva; December 8th, 2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: missing word
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Thank you everyone for the kind words!

I don't know how much I am allowed to tell about the process, so if a "senior" mod would like to come and answer this, that would be nice.

Yes, even though I'm by no means accustomed to this yet or have even done anything useful, I can already tell that reports by regular members play a very big role in managing the forum! So please report things.
    Very true!

And thanks everyone! We're doing our best to learn

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights