Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about Denman brushes

Length
    17/27/????
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Talk to me about Denman brushes

Quote Originally Posted by amiaow View Post
    I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but I used to have a Denman (though it was back in the late 1990s) and with time, the rubber piece that the bristles attached to came out and would not go back in properly. As a result, it slid whenever I brushed my hair- not good!

It may have just been a manufacturing fault. I'm definitely interested to try their brushes again- it was great while it was working!
    I wonder how long Denman has been around. I was looking for a "...since [insert year]" on their store but couldn't find it.

Now that you mention it coming apart, I think my friend in 5th grade had one and it did the same thing. And her other one started to tear at the corner. If her brushes weren't Denman, they were very similar.

Sig art by Selina French, original image as edited by Lady Ellyse

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

We use D3's at work too and don't have those problems with them. If the pad and bristles come out they easily slide back in but stay where you put them. The tear on the corner is a more common problem from wear and tear.

Length
    Pixie/Chin/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I'm tempted to try them again- my bristles just did not want to stay back in! Sounds as though it may have been a one-off and a Denman is worth another shot- I really did love that brush!

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I love my Denman D3 and BeeBop for detangling & distributing any conditioners or styling products. It works so much better to evenly place product in my curly hair, and I believe they also help with curl clumping. I've had my D3 for more than 5 yrs, no problems, although I have had a brand new one still in the box waiting to use if something ever happens to it!

Curls & Kinks Galore! nappywomyn's Avatar
    Length
    bald/17/38
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii/iii

I love my denman, love it, love it, love it - and I'm scared of brushes in my uber curly hair, in general! It's the only thing that I've ever used that can collect allllll of my shed hairs, which is the main cause of my hair getting tangled.
    I keep pulling the pad out of the brush, so I think it might be time to upgrade to the larger size - I have the D3, I believe.

{~*~} Nappydelphia (updated!) {~*~} Official Bibliodragon {*}

Length
    17/27/????
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Thanks to everybody who chimed in. I didn't like the one I saw a Sally's mainly because it was not large enough. I just ordered a D4N (which is a D4 in different colours) and D1 from BallBeauty.com. I guess I can always put them on the swap board if I don't like them....

ETA: oops, I just realized that I got the second brush for my purse and I should have ordered a D14 or a D33!

ETA again: I emailed Ball Beauty to ask them to change the D1 to a D33 and they said
    Yes we can make the change. Good timing as your order was in the queue to process today.
    Last edited by EllisGurl; February 11th, 2009 at 03:36 AM.

Sig art by Selina French, original image as edited by Lady Ellyse

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Does anyone know how D3 and D4 would perform differently? I get that the D4 has 2 more rows of bristles but I don't see how it would make a difference in practice?
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Length
    HL/TBL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Does anyone know how D3 and D4 would perform differently? I get that the D4 has 2 more rows of bristles but I don't see how it would make a difference in practice?
    As far as I've understood, more bristles means smaller clumps, so it works better with curly or very curly hair. Fewer bristles should be more adapt for looser textures.

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    As far as I've understood, more bristles means smaller clumps, so it works better with curly or very curly hair. Fewer bristles should be more adapt for looser textures.
    Oh okay! Thank you!
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Reviving this thread, maybe you can help!

I've a Denman for a couple of years now and regularly take it apart and clean it. Today was cleaning day and I soaked it, as always, disasmbled warm soapy water and scrubbed all parts with a cloth, then left to dry. It's all dry now, but the brush pad is sticky 😐. It looks clean, it's white so I could tell if I did a bad job cleaning it, so I'm not sure what's going on. Any experience? I hope it's not like old Tupperware that goes sticky, because at that point you need to toss it.
    I also cleaned DBF's Denman, his is newer than mine and typical far dirtier. But his isn't sticky at all.