Page 191 of 529 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241291 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 5285

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

I have broken down the Pictures Post in the last 2 pages, including this one, to help out those with specific needs, to see what honey lightening can do in different hair categories.

Honey lightening can work on virgin, colour-treated, henndigoed and hennaed hair.

The correct 4 to 1 dilution is the key, IMO, to getting honey lightening to work even faster, and better than before the 4 to 1 dilution was corrected.

Distilled water has been reported to aid the process very well.

Spices like ground cinnamon and ground cardamom, and oils, extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil can help, but just honey and water has been reported to work very well too, with the right honey, water and method.
    Last edited by ktani; August 12th, 2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Shortened version of the newest honey lightening recommendations, which have been reported to be working out very well. This is all in the recommendations post in my signature.

Patch test any of the ingredients not previously used on scalp or skin.

1. Choose a honey - the Successful Honeys List
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ount=856itamin

"If one cannot be found - try a dark coloured honey blend - raw or pasteurized - both have been reported to work equally well. Dark coloured blends were reported in research, to have higher peroxide levels than lighter coloured blends. A dark coloured, single source honey, does not necessarily have a high peroxide value - it depends on the plant source."

Jarrah honey - highly recommended - it has a very high peroxide value. More information and suppliers can be found here.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1266

Some honeys naturally contain higher levels of Vitamin C. Avoid using Anzer, buckwheat, linden flower, locust flower, mint and thyme honeys.

2. Use distilled water only. It contains no minerals. Minerals can deplete the recipe peroxide (so can Vitamin C, see #5). Conditioner is no longer recommended for honey lightening. Its ingredients and lack of water content can interfere with results. The same applies to coconut cream and milk (they contain minerals and can contain Vitamin C, as well as not enough water).

3. Use the 4 to 1 dilution (it is based on 4 x the amount of water to honey by weight) - e.g. 1/8 cup honey needs 3/4 cup distilled water, 50 g honey needs 200 ml distilled water etc.
    http://www.traditionaloven.com/conve...surements.html

4. Do not apply heat to any of the recipe ingredients at any time. Peroxide containing boosters are ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil.

5. Do not add lemon juice, or any other ingredient that contains Vitamin C to a recipe, like tomato products, which are no longer recommended. Hydrogen peroxide oxidizes Vitamin C, and is depleted in doing so.

6. Mix the treatment at room temperature and let it sit for 1 hour, also at room temperature, to allow the honey to produce its maximum peroxide value.

7. Apply the treatment to dry hair if there is no aloe gel on it - aloe gel contains Vitamin C, or an unrinsed out rinse with Vitamin C, heavy residue, or a large amount of oil on the hair (a large amount of oil will act as a barrier to the water). If there is, wash the hair first then dry it to slightly damp. You will get less drips on dry hair. The treatment can be applied with a tint, blush, or pastry brush or a squirt bottle.

Note: A treatment can be applied right away to wet hair. If this is done, a swim cap is an excellent choice to keep the hair very wet, which is necessary for the honey to keep producing peroxide, for the hour or so the treatment is on the hair.

8. Pin up, then cover the hair securely with plastic, to keep it out of the way and contain drips. Leave the treatment on the hair for about 1 hour.
    Last edited by ktani; August 17th, 2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: adjust text

Quote Originally Posted by wintersun99 View Post
    Update Photos

Here is where I started 7-9 months ago.

Here is on 7/2008

Old Mix:
    1/2 c honey (Nature's store brand)
    1/2 c conditioner
    1 tsp EVOO

Here is on 8/9/2008 (using the new mix, with correct ratio's) This photo is a little darker because I just henna'd (2 days earlier) but it lightened up quite a bit, after I had a chance to wash it well...

Current Mix
    3/4 c distilled water
    2 Tablespoon honey (Honey-Bee clover)
    1 Tablespoon cinnamon

Here is on 8/11/2008 after a 40:60 buxus:henna ratio.
    Notice the bangs pulled back and the difference in color! This is also after 3 more Honey lightenings, using the (current mix) between the the two photos.

Loads of shine and great conditioning, still attributing this to the Honey mixes
    wintersun99

WOW again! Thank you for editing in the new results pictures and more information on the condition of your hair. I edited my response to you, in the post following your original post.

What did you do to make the difference in the upper layers letting go of the indigo?

At the time, I made 2 suggestions.

"1. Regardless of whether you let the treatment sit for 1 hour before applying it, apply extra treatment to the outer layer at the end of your application and the sides, where you have the problem.

2. Use a bathing cap to cover your hair after the application. It should help keep all the moisture in better for the hour the honey lightening treatment is on your hair. I do not think if you let the treatment sit for 1 hour in advance of application, that this is necessary, but it cannot hurt to try it."
    Last edited by ktani; August 13th, 2008 at 10:13 AM.

I applied loads of extra mix to the top layers (I previously had been applying by bending over the tub so apparently the underlayers were getting the priority) even though I thought I was been equal. So, I made sure the top portion was getting excess and I was also spritzing the top layers with a mix of honey/water in a spritzer bottle throughout the application time (maybe every 20 minutes or so) to make sure it stayed moist. I also let the mix sit longer (45min-an hour) before applying to my hair. I am still leaving the mix on for about 2 hours (rather than 1) as I like the conditioning benefits too.

I applied loads of extra mix to the top layers (I previously had been applying by bending over the tub so apparently the underlayers were getting the priority) even though I thought I was been equal. So, I made sure the top portion was getting excess and I was also spritzing the top layers with a mix of honey/water in a spritzer bottle throughout the application time (maybe every 20 minutes or so) to make sure it stayed moist. I also let the mix sit longer (45minutes-an hour) before applying to my hair. I am still leaving the mix on for about 2 hours (rather than 1) as I like the conditioning benefits too.
    wintersun99

Thank you.

45 minutes is good - an hour is the recommended time to let it sit for the honey to produce its maximum peroxide value.

What did you cover your hair with and was it more secure these times?

IMO, it must have been from your results.

Covered with a regular plastic shower cap and a hat (to keep it tighter to head) didn't have a swim cap

Covered with a regular plastic shower cap and a hat (to keep it tighter to head) didn't have a swim cap
    wintersun99

Very resourceful of you. I do things like that too.

Well, I can certainly see the difference it made - both with the extra treatment added to those areas and the secured shower cap.

I am very pleased for you.

This is the kind of difference the correct 4 to 1 dilution can make, with the right honey, application and method of covering the hair!

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

It is really great lightening!!! Very inspiring! Congrats Wintersun99!!!

mellie

If you want to lighten more, just add a 1/2 cup more water to Mellie's Mix, to correct the dilution and try distilled water to brew the tea.

Your mix is excellent, IMO.

With the correct 4 to 1 dilution, 2 tablespoons honey or 1/8th cup, may be all most lengths need, and ony 3/4 cup of distilled water is required.

This has been reported to be a successful recipe amount and should be easier to handle.

It should saturate even thick hair and possibly cut down on drips.
    Last edited by ktani; August 14th, 2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: clarification