Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you collect your shed hair????

Length
    Chin/SL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/i

Default Re: Do you collect your shed hair????

Quote Originally Posted by Strands View Post
    YES! after some brief research on storing, I saw someone using a dryer sheet box to store the hairs, literally using a used dryer sheet to hold the hairs. Apparently dryer sheets keep most things away like bacterias etc, help with anti-static, and repel moisture. So that is literally what I am doing to store them. I am surprised how many hairs I already have collected. Most of them are from my brushes because I did go ahead and save as many hairs as I could from my brushes yesterday. But still fallout is insane. XD
    Seems like a good idea!

Default Hair extensions from your own, shedded hair?

My hair would be so thick if I just could keep it all in my head... so why buy expensive extensions, if I could make perfectly matching extensions from my own hair? ☺ Just dig it out of everywhere where you have shedded it, wash it and make extensions cheeper... ❓Has anyone anywhere done this?.. I think I lose more than keep hair in my head... this conclusion I must make when I for example empty this hole in bath room and see this amount of hair.. it's like a dead animal that I draw out of there.
    Last edited by Priska; October 14th, 2021 at 10:23 AM.

Default Re: Hair Extensions from your own hair?

The only good thing in this is that my hair is naturally layered all the time, I guess... 🤔

I think you would have a very hard time picking up all of these hairs, straightening them out, sorting out the ones that are broken, making sure they are oriented correctly, etc.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Sounds like a super pain. I have considered shaving it off to get my own wig made if I ever end up with a medical issue that makes me lose my hair.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I also think it would be a pain to locate and pick up all of those hairs and straighten them out too. But I also find it interesting that if you had to shave your head for medical reasons I would definitely use my own hair for extensions.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I made a hair switch out of my own hair. It was fun, and it's interesting to have, though I don't often wear it.

JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Do you collect your shed hair????

I merged the new thread with an older and longer one. I think that you'll find a lot to read here

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by GoddesJourney View Post
    Sounds like a super pain. I have considered shaving it off to get my own wig made if I ever end up with a medical issue that makes me lose my hair.
    I would think that would be interesting... and then I saw the cost of it once and said NOPE! (If it were a permanent condition like alopecia, I'd do it. If it was something like chemo where my hair would come back after a few months... I wouldn't go to the expense. Although I would consider cutting off a braid and attaching it to the back of a scarf or something so I'd look like I had hair.)
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    buzz/31/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    I made a hair switch out of my own hair. It was fun, and it's interesting to have, though I don't often wear it.
    Wow, Sarahlabyrinth - that looks like a majestic plume of hair! How long did the process take you? Apologies if you wrote about it earlier in this thread, I've not read the whole of it yet.

I was actually investigating hair switches the other day, and came across this rather charming 1940s news footage about making hair pieces with your own hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvE5EA0HpN8

I found it in this article about vintage hair styling. It looks like quite the process - aligning all the hairs, brushing them through those special brushes.

I've started the process of collecting a little box of shed hairs with a project like this in mind several times, then got grossed out and thrown it away!
    Last edited by DropStitches; October 15th, 2021 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typos
    Growing out a buzzcut since September 2019
    buzz -- mess -- chin -- SL [18.5"] -- APL [22"] -- APL+ [25.5"] -- MBL [27"] -- WL [29"] -- HL [32"] -- TBL [38"]