Page 12 of 1057 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422621125121012 ... LastLast

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Banned
    Beautiful Northern California...AKA...Heaven!
    Length
    lame/BS&AP/hip

gREAT...NOW THAT WILL BE STUCK IN MMY HEAD ALL DAY

Length
    2"/58"/Ni!
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Beautiful comb, hippiechick! I can't wait to come visit your shop! I know you've got alot of things I would love to have! And that painting your FIL put at the top of that comb is amazing, especially knowing he did it with a toothpick!! I agree with you that it should be kept in your family. That will be a wonderful treasure to hand down.

You ladies are doing beautiful work. I can't wait to join in. Just gotta find the $$ and the time!

~♥~ Proud Member of the Renegray Gang ~♥~
    Lady Elishar of Light and Prophecy in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ~ 12/28/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

what kind of wood are those made of?? i started out with a fine plywood but now im moving on to regular hard woods.[/quote]

This is also plywood, since it's easiest and cheapest to get. I think the board has 7 layers which I'm filing off to get the wood-like structure.
    Unfortunately I have yet to find out where to get pretty dark hardwoods where I live - the normal DIY stores only have some kind of light, boring, I can't quite remember what tree it was, boards.

And I'm a bit afraid I won't be able to work on the wood with my old coping saw and files.

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

ok so its been a while since ive attempted anything new... i got an idea from this thread
    here is my pathetic first attempt... dont laugh please..
    oh and i put the ribbon in because my bangs kept wanting to come out of the spiral and also because i havent made anything to hide the ponytail yet... i meant for this to hold all my hair but i mis judged how thick my hair is... im going to make a pin so that i wont need a pony band but i dont have the time today.

ok so there it is.. im not very happy with it but ive never really been very happy about anything ive made.

wow those pictures are big! sorry
    can i call this classic length

Banned
    Length
    lame/BS&AP/hip

I think it looks really neat! Why you blur your face out is beyond me...You have a very beautiful...um...blur?

Supplier of Green Eggs Sam-I-Am's Avatar
    Length
    21"/I sat/onit!
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Keoma, holy cow, he painted that with a toothpick?! Impressive!!! What a treasure!

I made a new hairstick for myself last Saturday with a birch dowel and my Dremel. I had gotten a couple dowels to turn, but since hubbie's lathe is missing a piece, I decided to heck with it, I'm making me a hairstick! I really like the way it turned out too! I will have to take a picture.

Oh, speaking of pictures, I do have an album with my handmade hairtoys in it here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...hp?albumid=666

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TheHippieChick View Post
    I think it looks really neat! Why you blur your face out is beyond me...You have a very beautiful...um...blur?
    i blurred my face because i was going to use the photos on another site...
    can i call this classic length

Banned
    Length
    lame/BS&AP/hip

I must learn how to do the blur thing...

Length
    1/2/22/30
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

How are you all finishing your pieces? I have been sanding them down to a super duper smooth finish and the using a natural beeswax/ orange oil mix . I am having trouble keeping the smooth finish and have to keep resanding. I am not using them in wet hair or on rainy days, but I live in a very wet climate.

Banned
    Length
    lame/BS&AP/hip

when i use beeswax, I melt it first, dip my fork and then spend hours buffing it down. It works...but it sure is alot of elbow grease!
    Have you guys ever burnished your pieces? If not it is something you might want to try. It's very simple, you use a piece of wood to do your finishing I have a grooved out piece of Yew that I use. I slide it back and forth over my project with a little pressures. It shines like the dickens! Give it a try! It does not have to be grooved, so you know! You will quickly find your favorite piece and use it over and over. It will end up with a groove quickly.